David Gilmour – Live in Gdansk DVD

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
52%
38%
3%
No votes
1 - Worst
7%

Total votes: 29

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Gilmour – Live in Gdansk DVD

Post by drafsack »

This thread is to discuss David Gilmour – Live in Gdansk DVD

Feel free to discuss the DVD

Basic track listing

Castellorizon
On an Island
The Blue
Red Sky at Night
This Heaven
Then I Close My Eyes
Smile
Take a Breath
A Pocketful of Stones
Where We Start
Astronomy Domine
High Hopes
Echoes
A Great Day for Freedom
Comfortably Numb
progo
Axe
Axe

Re: David Gilmour – Live in Gdansk DVD

Post by progo »

Similar gig to RtN but this has The best performances of the band. C-Numb in the end is the definite version. Sound quality also excellent.

I hesitated buying this for a long time because RtN is from the same tour and covers about the same set list, but I read this featured a 'Making of Echoes' hidden feature. Well it was two minutes or so :twisted:

Gave 4 because the DVDs don't cover the whole set played.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I get confused as to why 2 Gilmour live shows were released on DVD in such short order. Both are technically good, but I hate Guy Pratt's onstage persona. Its not HIS show. He didn't know this in 1994 and he still doesn't know it now. He might be a cool guy and all, but he comes across as a smug asshole cashing in on the hard work done by the actual Floyd members back in the day.
progo
Axe
Axe

Post by progo »

my breakfast. wrote:I get confused as to why 2 Gilmour live shows were released on DVD in such short order. Both are technically good, but I hate Guy Pratt's onstage persona. Its not HIS show. He didn't know this in 1994 and he still doesn't know it now. He might be a cool guy and all, but he comes across as a smug asshole cashing in on the hard work done by the actual Floyd members back in the day.
Don't know about that. To me, he just looks excited to be part of the phenomenon.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I watched this concert on TV, so some of the numbers on that set list were cut out (I could just watch them on YouTube later on :-; ). Ignoring that fact, I thought this was a good concert. My favorite numbers of the concert were "A Pocketful of Stones", "Astronomy Domine" and "Comfortably Numb". The string arrangement on "Pocketful" sounded better live than on the album and the song had a more rhythmic approach to it unlike the album's more flowing style. What caught my attention about "Astronomy" was how the light show mimicked that of the Floyd's early gigs with Syd Barrett. Having Rick Wright as part of the band definitely added to my enjoyment of the concert. He and Gilmour synchronized wonderfully. I don't have much to complain about aside from Gilmour's occasionally forceful singing on the Island tracks, so this gets a 4/5 from me.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Why was this never put on Blu-Ray? Especially after RtN getting the Blu treatment about a year earlier than this release. I'd actually prefer a Blu version of this over the 5-disc set I own, filled with all the useless nonsense.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

my breakfast. wrote:I get confused as to why 2 Gilmour live shows were released on DVD in such short order. Both are technically good, but I hate Guy Pratt's onstage persona. Its not HIS show. He didn't know this in 1994 and he still doesn't know it now. He might be a cool guy and all, but he comes across as a smug asshole cashing in on the hard work done by the actual Floyd members back in the day.
Haha.. [-D-] .At least we don't have to bear his ABITW2 slap bass solo any more. I agree, he should've been ditched along with Scott Page (the mulleted, preening, saxophone-playing idiot from the momentary lapse tour).

John Carin, and to a lesser extent, Tim Renwick are the only additions to the post Gilmour floyd that aren't total embarrassments. Apparently during the division bell tour the group made a concious effort to bring themselves forward and told the preening idiots to take a step back as they too had been shocked when watching the concert footage from the 80's.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

peesea wrote:John Carin, and to a lesser extent, Tim Renwick are the only additions to the post Gilmour floyd that aren't total embarrassments.
I didn't know there was a "post Gilmour" Floyd? :shock: :D

Perhaps the fact that both Carin and Renwick have also played with Roger Waters helps my mind a lot in accepting them as real Pink Floyd surrogate (or supplementary) members, like Snowy White and Dick Parry. Or perhaps it's the complete lack of rawckstar persona in them, so prevalent in that guy's Pratt.
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

For me the triumph of this album is in the brilliant integration of the live orchestra under the direction of Zbigniew Preisner, which adds so much depth to all the songs, and the brilliant re-working of all the older Floyd material. ‘Echoes’ was a huge triumph IMO, as was ‘Wot’s… Uh, the Deal?’ (A shame this was a download, rather than included in the original CD / DVD – it is one of my most listened to tracks). SOYCD was simply magical. ‘Fat Old Sun’ and ‘High Hopes’ improves on any recording I’ve heard previously, and ‘A Great Day for Freedom’ absolutely soars; it would have been a fantastic ending to the gig itself; but of course, you have to end with ‘Comfortably Numb’. Talk of ‘definitive versions’ of songs is always a subjective topic, but I’d say that ‘C. Numb’ here is at least the equal of the PULSE recording, if you’re a fan of the live work.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The Comfortably Numb on this & the rick wright version on RTN are miles better then the Pulse version imho
Last edited by azza200 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd »

very good 5/5
pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd »

A must have
ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Post by ChickenStu »

Yeah - I love this. I've got the two disc edition that comes with the extra DVD. The only thing that really lets it down is the version of Comfortably Numb on it. Didn't quite hit the heights IMO. But the version of "On An Island" that's on this is the only one I can listen to. There's something about it man...
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

your the first person i have seen say they don't like this version of CN its the last live show of Rick EVER the solo is one of the best from tour and one of David's best.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

It's not my favorite either, compared to Pulse or Live 8 or maybe even the one he did at RAH a few days ago.

But Echoes and On an Island are out of this world, it's the best tone I've ever heard the black strat have. Then few people seems to notice but Rick and Dave do a bit of Careful with that Axe in the middle of Echoes solo, magical!