Pink Floyd The Wall Film

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
58%
16%
10%
10%
1 - Worst
6%

Total votes: 31

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd The Wall Film

Post by drafsack »

This thread is to discuss Pink Floyd The Wall film.

It has been available as a Video, DVD and Laser disc

Feel free to discuss any of the formats

Basic track listing
When the Tigers Broke Free 1
In the Flesh?
The Thin Ice
Another Brick in the Wall 1
When the Tigers Broke Free 2
Goodbye Blue Sky
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall 2
Mother
Empty Spaces/What Shall We Do Now?
Young Lust
One of My Turns
Don't Leave Me Now
Another Brick in the Wall 3
Goodbye Cruel World
Is There Anybody Out There?
Nobody Home
Vera
Bring the Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb
In the Flesh
Run Like Hell
Waiting for the Worms
Stop
The Trial
Outside the Wall
Enish
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Film

Post by Enish »

A great film that definitely does the source material justice. It doesn't feel like a long-form music video to me and, instead, develops a complex narrative of its own with the music to support it. It definitely helps to listen to the album beforehand, though. It helped me a lot in understanding the movie, especially during the animated sequences. 4/5
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I think I saw the film before I heard the album. I've had it on VHS and have now got the DVD.
I admit, I've not seen many films, and I can't sit down and watch stuff these days. No romantic comedies, no "coming of age" melodramas, I never bothered with Harry Potter.
But... from the few films I've seen I always make the effort for this film. I like the commentary with Roger Waters.
Would of been better if both he and Alan Parker did the commentary at the same time, but I don't think Roger would of agreed to do a commentary if that was the case!
Pity we didn't get a proper soundtrack to the film with the re-recorded songs.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I had the album before the film came out. The film definitely helped me understand the album better...while at the same time, my familiarity with the album helped me keep up with what was going on onscreen.

I often cite it as my favorite movie of all time...if only because it's the film adaptation of my favorite album by my favorite band...so it kind of defaults to the top of the list. *shrug*
dreamsalone
Embryo
Embryo

Post by dreamsalone »

I remember seeing the film first before I had ever listened to the album. Then the album kind of made sense. But then seeing the film a second time definitely made more sense and even now I find some stuff in the songs I hadn't noticed before. It's always interesting how we tend to discover places and new things after having learned other new things that are related.
Last edited by dreamsalone on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I saw the film when it was first released and at the end of the film the audience were at first silent and then started clapping
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I've first seen it when I was about 16 (that would be around 1997) on an experimental TV station here. As much as I have been sort of a fan of Pink Floyd before that (owning most of their albums to DSOTM and both AMLOR and TDB, which I got as a brand new album), I haven't owned "The Wall", mostly because I hated ABITW part II, which I thought was the title/signature track of the album. The movie made me dig deeper into Floyd and understand both music and their story better, and in many ways seeing it then made me a lifelong fan of their work. Even if I consider the movie weak and dragging at places, I will give it a 5 just for that.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I saw this about a dozen times in the theatre when it first came out
I remember once seeing it on the IMAX screen at Toronto's Ontario Place
though I prefered Apocalypse Now, which I saw there a week later: better helicopter effects

I havent seen it since, and really have no desire to, and dont own the dvd
its just to gorey and selfpitying for me to want to sit through again at this point in life

but I did like the way they rearranged some of their songs, especially that one mysterious song that was on the lyric sheet of the album but not the album itself
though it was not entirely rerecorded like The Who did with their Tommy movie
I think they did just enough tinkering to make the music they already had work as a movie, with pauses for purely visual links when needed
and I always liked the Gerald Scarfe cartoons

didnt like Geldofs vocals though
still interesting they hired an outsider to play the part of Pink, much like Roy Harpers guest appearance on Have A Ciger, just too bad he had a voice entirely unsuited to the Floyd
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

As a film, it is interesting for the time it was made as being a part of a multi-media concept...album, art work, film, stage show, etc...

It may not, as a film, be great, but it has some provocative moments, and taken as a "whole" (all multi-media manifestations), the Wall is impressive...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

nosaj wrote:It may not, as a film, be great, but it has some provocative moments
I have always find that weird, I also don't think the film is great, and have always thought that only Pink Floyd fans may find it interesting, but I'm always getting surprised bumping into people that despite not being really into PF happen to think the film is great, like this old man here:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 29987/1023

Then I'm reminded of the many great and sometimes even mesmerizing visuals this film actually has, not only all of the Scarfe animations but also some real life images, like the whole Confortably Numb dream sequence; or when Pink is in his chair watching TV at the top of some forgotten hill; when he shaves his entire body; the swimming pool nightmare; little Pink finding derranged adult Pink in the bathroom; that shot of Pink stunned and locked in his bedrom with the cigarrette burning into his hand. So I realize that despite not being an enjoyable film it is indeed quite a special and unique experience, perhaps a little confusing, but one film experience made of images and moments that linger for a long time in your mind after watching it.

And on top of that, or perhaps right at the core, is quite some unforgettable soundtrack.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Ha, ha, Roger Ebert. I agree that of all the rock opera type films, it probably is one of the most interesting ones.
Mike Eder
Axe
Axe

Post by Mike Eder »

Never been into these sorts of films even if I love the music (which I do outside of Bob's leads).
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Just an amazing bold piece of film, that I can see over and over again. Fits the album like a glove. Rated 5.
Hannnnnes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hannnnnes »

Also released on Video CD in the mid-'90s, a short-lived format. I also own a DVD from 2000, the video quality of which ought to be a zillion times better. This is a classic example of "on-my-list-for-ages-but-for-no-reason-not-watched-yet" :-k
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The project should've been aborted when Roger proved he couldn't act, since replacing him meant they couldn't use any of the live footage. Had it stuck to Ezrin's rough screenplay that they used to lay out the album, and simply had Scarfe animate the rest, it could've been great. Had Roger just moved on and used those resources to improve The Final Cut and turned that into a proper film, that could've been great. In summation, just about anything else would've been better.