Alan Parsons Project

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Alan Parsons Project

Post by Flying pig437 »

I got the best of outta the libary a few yrs. ago and then dabbled in a few of the albums. I robot is brilliant and Eye in the sky is always nice to play, Pyramid was good too but had some ave. songs on it. The rest I've heard are patchy and I've just put my fav's on to a playlist which is one of my fav. playlists. Highlights-Prime time, Light of the world, I am the walrus...oops...that one with walrus in the title and Stereotomy.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

There's "Eye In The Sky" on the radio here in office. I think it's about third time I've ever heard APP on radio. I'm really enjoying it. \:D/
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

Alan Parsons Project released two solid albums:
I Robot and Tales of Mystery & Imagination.

Pyramid was decent, roughly half the songs on that album are good.
Eye In The Sky is a mostly mediocre album with only 3 good tracks.
Eve was very bland, the opening instrumental track was the only thing I liked on this album.

All their other albums are pretty much forgettable.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The only guy I know who listens to APP is a bit of a dickhead, especially when he drinks. I was over at his flat last night for a party and he insisted on playing that shit in his room at high volume. The environmental officers were called by some random neighbours, and quite rightly, the band sounded like a bloated over-wrought stodgefest.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The main thing I noticed is they really need somebody entirely different on vocals and need to steer away from some of the generic top forty sounding songs...the more experimental and usually instrumental stuff is more satisfying, yet there just isn't enough of that on the 70s albums I have heard.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Yes, they would be much better if they used one strong vocalist instead of a bunch of bland generic ones. Most of their songs, at least from the 70s, are quite good but one can't enjoy them because of boring and uninspired vocal performance.
AndrewJFisher
Axe
Axe

Post by AndrewJFisher »

Machiner83 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:25 am ... Woolfson wrote almost all the sung ones and Parsons wrote almost all the instrumental ones ... Woolfson is also the singer of 'Time' 'Eye In The Sky' and some other ones).
I read that Woolfson came up with the album concepts too. Seems maybe Eric Woolfson Project would have been more appropriate though I read that he thought it was best to name the group after Alan, because he was better known.
AndrewJFisher
Axe
Axe

Post by AndrewJFisher »

"Silence and I" from Eye in the Sky came up on my playlist today and for the first time I thought about how Eric Woolfson sounds like Rick Wright. I've enjoyed singing "Eye in the Sky" in front of an audience a couple of times.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I saw Alan Parsons Live Project a few months ago and they were superb. What a great show!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

My mum got me into Alan Parsons a few years back. I Robot and Eye in the Sky are pretty good albums, but it's been a while since I've given them a spin.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I've never really listened to them. What is a good album to start with?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
The Turn of a Friendly Card
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

twcc wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 pm The Turn of a Friendly Card
I would have gone Eye in the Sky, but Turn of a Friendly Card is also a solid intro to APP. It has two of my favourite tracks from them ("Time" and "The Gold Bug") and the rest of it is still pretty good.