Why Pink Floyd "Viral" Campaign

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why Pink Floyd "Viral" Campaign

Post by Keith Jordan »

It would appear the "Why Pink Floyd" "viral" campaign has begun with some obscure videos posted on YouTube. A viral campaign on the internet of course is one where people talk about something and share it with friends who then share it with friends and so on. It thus spreads virally. Oh the wonders of modern marketing! Well, it is better than lolcats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL0BGcmh5N8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFUNQtWzABM
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Why Pink Floyd "Viral" Campaign

Post by Beowulf »

Ok, am putting a 'viral' vid up on FB and tweeting it!
razvanpinkfloyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by razvanpinkfloyd »

Come to romania also please!
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

a flying pig over Québec's national assembly would be pretty accurate.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

London and San Francisco have appeared....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w351w4nNJU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qhOmzxaCpw
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

They cannot say this is viral before it goes viral. People don't tend to favour contrived stuff like this as much as kids biting eachother's fingers, some guy pretending his cat plays a keyboard.... girls doing strange things with a cup.

To say "we will make a viral video" shows how these guys are not in touch with the internets.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I guess it is quite amusing that some PR companies offer "viral marketing" as something to purchase. I can imagine some things would be more viral than others. I have noticed on the Pink Floyd Facebook that they are using the "slow burn" approach to expanding customer.... er, I mean fan LIKES by posting little bits of content like lyrics every day to get people talking and showing up in news feeds of people's friends. Its a good technique. I can imagine this video will get some decent hits and pick up some "free" extra marketing for the band.

I quite like the videos. They look funny! :lol:
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Nice! I like those vids!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

As much as I like those vids, I think that they are too obscure to be interesting to a general audience. I mean, clocks in the sky? A bunch of hospital beds in front of Golden Gate? An average viewer would have to ask an inevitable WTF?! They should have probably stuck with the pig, flying by landmarks in countries they see as primary market for their product, but even that would be too obscure for people who haven't been in touch with Pink Floyd before, and creating a marketing campaign only for people who already know what's it all about could be a little bit counterproductive.
my breakfast. wrote:girls doing strange things with a cup
FECK! I thought I completely suppressed that... Thanks for reminding me... ](*,)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The CGI in those videos looks so fake that if this ever goes viral it will be more on "unintentionally funny" grounds than on "how awesome and unbelievable!" :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Most new-ager UFO nuts seem to be able to pull better UFO CGI out of their home computers than Floyd here. Is the idea that we are meant to believe that random clocks turned up in London, or that Pink Floyd made an enigmatic video?

No wonder I need to pay another £30 for the latest installment of Storm's bloody book before the answer becomes clear....

This is slicker and it is by a small company:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5jmbSjWkw

Its like Pink Floyd are going back to CGI before the gritty textures were introduced but after those really bad camera shake and blur tricks were invented. Lots of identical, totally flat and stunningly lit clocks floating around?!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Mexico....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3dCiBdc1_c
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Hudini wrote:As much as I like those vids, I think that they are too obscure to be interesting to a general audience. I mean, clocks in the sky? A bunch of hospital beds in front of Golden Gate? An average viewer would have to ask an inevitable WTF?! They should have probably stuck with the pig, flying by landmarks in countries they see as primary market for their product, but even that would be too obscure for people who haven't been in touch with Pink Floyd before, and creating a marketing campaign only for people who already know what's it all about could be a little bit counterproductive.
Which leads on to the question: who's going to be buying those new CDs? Newbies or the more hardcore Pink Floyd fans?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Do re-issues go into the album charts? I cannot for the life of me remember anything about re-issues and album charts.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

They do as far as I know. Didn't the reissue of Exile on Main St by the Rolling Stones do really well in the album charts?