Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
10%
21%
28%
20%
1- Worst
21%

Total votes: 143

Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Stephen »

Our thoughts are with you.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Keith Jordan wrote:I am about to subject myself to this album from beginning to end.
The album's end or yours?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Well I'm up to Dogs of War and surviving... actually very much looking forward to On The Turning Away. I like that one.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/photo ... udience-18
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

What's there not to like about it? IMHO it is one of the best stand-alone Floyd songs. I don't understand people who dismiss it simply because of it's on a bad album or it doesn't feature Roger Waters.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I really do like On The Turning Away. An excellent song. Best one from the album. I even like the sax solo in Terminal Frost. Although too much of that song has happened on Cubase!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

The only song I would choose to listen to from that album would be Learning To Fly.
Stinibobs
Axe
Axe

Post by Stinibobs »

I agree with Keith, On The Turning Away is the best song on the album.
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

1. Signs of Life: An enjoyable instrumental track. - 7.5
2. Learning to Fly: - A great song that could have been better. I don't like the mid section with the talking air traffic controllers. Still great. - 8.5
3. The Dogs of War: Decent music coupled with cheesy lyrics/vocals. Ugh! - 5.0
4. One Slip: I can't make it through this entire song. Just very bland. - 3.0
5. On the Turning Away: This song kinda comes off as overly sentimental but it's actually very good. Love the guitar work at the end. - 8.0
6. Yet Another Movie/Round and Around: My favorite song on this album, love the instrumentals on this. The ending could have been better. - 8.5
7. A New Machine pt 1: WTF? - 1.0
8. Terminal Frost: Ok, time to tell Kenny G to put the sax down! Actually not too bad. - 7.5
9. A New Machine pt 2: Not this crap again. - 1.0
10. Sorrow: A mostly good song though a bit boring in places. - 6.5
11. Album Artwork: The album cover picture is fantastic but unfortunately the cover is somewhat hampered by the title bars at the bottom and top. - 7.5

Final Score: 5.8 (out of 10)

Final Word: The album does have a few good songs and a few turds as well.
Tracks 7 and 9 can be permanently deleted for all I care, they serve absolutely no purpose on this album, and I'm not even sure if they can be classified as music. This is Pink Floyd's worst album, but compared to the music of my generation, this might be considered a masterpiece!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jack Wolf wrote:Tracks 7 and 9 can be permanently deleted for all I care, they serve absolutely no purpose on this album, and I'm not even sure if they can be classified as music.
[-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-]
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

would people have the same issues with the two New Machines if they were part of the same track as Terminal Frost instead of being tracked individually?
and for example, if the "knockknock time to go are you feeling OK" intro to Comfortably Numb were its own track on The Wall cd would people also be saying its the worst Floyd track ever and should be permanently deleted from the album?

youre not listening to floyd albums on random shuffle by any chance are you?
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

J Ed wrote:would people have the same issues with the two New Machines if they were part of the same track as Terminal Frost instead of being tracked individually?
If that were the case, then my score for Terminal Frost would have to be reduced considerably.
J Ed wrote: and for example, if the "knockknock time to go are you feeling OK" intro to Comfortably Numb were its own track on The Wall cd would people also be saying its the worst Floyd track ever and should be permanently deleted from the album?
No, because it fits in well with the rest of the album.
The New Machine tracks are just plain bad.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

fair enuff

its just that a lot of the most interesting aspects of the Floydian canon hardly even qualify as music
(which I believe Roger even said live on stage once as Nick was cooking breakfast: "disgusting, its hardly even music")
but maybe "i have always looked out from behind these eyes" or whatever is not one of the more inventive nonmusical bits theyve ever done

in fact I have a cynical theory as to why such elements were added to MLoR when Dave didnt waste time with them on his own solo albums - the record company was telling him what a typical Pink Floyd album should sound like (citation: somwhere within the Schaffner book)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

J Ed wrote:in fact I have a cynical theory as to why such elements were added to MLoR when Dave didnt waste time with them on his own solo albums - the record company was telling him what a typical Pink Floyd album should sound like.
Not cynical enough, Dave didn't need the suits to tell him that, by then he had become his own suit man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoMqkixbKF8

When his attempt at being trendy miserably failed he naturally run scared to the warm Floyd bosom searching for confort. And what's more floydian than some sound effects and voices talking between tracks?
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

The song is no worse than, for example, the totally overrated Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel.

Not to say it's good.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Idisaffect wrote:The song is no worse than, for example, the totally overrated Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel.
Oh yeah it is worse. Although both songs are indeed in the same style, at least Sledgehammer sounded more "organic" so to speak, I dunno, this one sounds reeeeeally like a "forgery". Perhaps it's because Sledgehammer was a natural development of what Gabriel was doing in his previous albums, especially Security.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo9riZYUpTw

Nobody could have seen something like "Blue Light" coming from what David Gilmour was doing as a solo artist or with the Floyd. Although the intro, where Gilmour is seen hilariously rocking out the asphalt with his homies, has a little of Run Like Hell in it.

Also Sledgehammer was catchy and fun.