Pink Floyd week on Jimmy Fallon!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Pink Floyd week on Jimmy Fallon!

Post by cwta eugene »

Roger, the Foo Fighters, and Pearl Jam are all scheduled to perform!

http://www.billboard.com/news/jimmy-fal ... 6582.story
Stinibobs
Axe
Axe

Re: Pink Floyd week on Jimmy Fallon!

Post by Stinibobs »

Monday has Nick on, Tuesday has Roger performing with the Foo Fighters which could be interesting. Will be searching for somewhere to watch those!
Poeandmo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Poeandmo »

YEA!!
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

It would be pretty awesome if Gilmour joined Nick Mason and Roger Waters that week. Then everything would come full circle.

I don't think I'd watch all of these, but I am interested in seeing the Foo Fighters, MGMT, and Pearl Jam cover the band's music that week. I'll be watching Mason on TV too, of course.
crowman
Blade
Blade

Post by crowman »

Foo Fighters do a ripping live version of Have a Cigar, so imagine that'll be on the cards with them and Rog. That should be pretty cool. Not sure what Pearl Jam might do, they've been known to do Another Brick in the Wall as part of Daughter on occasions but it'll probably be something else.

edit: Should have read the link, the Foos are doing In The Flesh with Rog and Peal Jam are doing Mother. Should be good.
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

hey y'all
im looking forward to this. glad things are happening...i understand that my friends in the uk will have trouble watching, im in florida usa and am making a dvd of it, while i dont think i could supply the world i could help get the ball rolling with a couple of disks, i am getting all 5 shows on dvd.

[email protected]

write if you like

gary
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I haven't seen this discussed here, but could be wrong. Anyway, it was pretty good, and although I totally don't like the modern Foo Fighters at all, I think they did a pretty decent job as a back up band. With the exception of Dave Grohl of course, who as always is full of that rawking out loud! shitty attitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVK5IqYmL9w

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... the-flesh/

Surprising that it wasn't Have a Cigar but In The Flesh instead.

Well, if you think about it isn't that surprising at all, since we know Roger can't sign Have A Cigar anymore.
rovers95
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rovers95 »

Just had a look at the vid of the Foo's with Rog, pretty decent - I like MGMT too, so thought I would look at what they covered. It was Lucifer Sam :D And that was ok too
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I was able to watch most of the concert performances. The Shins' cover of "Breathe" was nice and I was more than impressed with The Foo Fighters' collaboration with Waters. MGMT's song selection was to be expected, but I liked how they tried to emulate the 60s psych pop sound as opposed to sounding like a modern band covering Pink Floyd. I was satisfied with the covers I saw overall.
rovers95
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rovers95 »

I agree, the covers overall were very good - I'd like to see MGMT have a go at "doing" the whole of Piper..... ala Flaming Lips interpretation of DSOTM, which I also like.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Sold to the highest bidder! Shit, Waters has turned into such a money grubber. He must know his voice won't hold out much longer and is now doing shitty daytime TV to pay of his island fund.
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

danielcaux wrote:I haven't seen this discussed here, but could be wrong. Anyway, it was pretty good, and although I totally don't like the modern Foo Fighters at all, I think they did a pretty decent job as a back up band. With the exception of Dave Grohl of course, who as always is full of that rawking out loud! shitty attitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVK5IqYmL9w

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... the-flesh/

Surprising that it wasn't Have a Cigar but In The Flesh instead.

Well, if you think about it isn't that surprising at all, since we know Roger can't sign Have A Cigar anymore.
Sorry you don't like the Foo .. to me this was a dream collaboration <ii> FF has some really good cover songs in their collection, and they always try their best to honour the original. I thought this was outstanding, but yeah, Have A Cigar might have been better.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The Foo Fighters have nothing good going for them. They have the flat production and tediously over-used classic rock formula of a christian rock band. Dave Grohl as some sort of Jesus of rock is especially annoying. Disgraceful boring band.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

my breakfast. wrote:The Foo Fighters have nothing good going for them. They have the flat production and tediously over-used classic rock formula of a christian rock band. Dave Grohl as some sort of Jesus of rock is especially annoying. Disgraceful boring band.
For me, the current hyperactive Dave Grohl is at least a cold comfort that Kurt Cobain never became such an ridiculous, old man. Headbanging on Pink Floyd music, really? Is he kidding? "Hey kids, see me! I'm just as young as you! Only much wiser, like your school teacher!" My impression is that Nirvana was the opposite of such fake rock star behaviour.
In recent years, Grohl indeed suddenly seems to present himself as the Jesus of rock. What got into him? I'd rather have the good, old, preachy "look I'm a rock star" Bono Vox.
I've always found Foo Fighters songs boring, in comparison with Kurt Cobain's songs. Cobain has a songer-songwriter quality that reminds me of Barrett's feel for melody and lyrics. Grohl is faraway from that quality of composing. (Which he already proved with Nirvana's boring B-side 'Marigold'.)
I love the Nirvana-like humour in the early Foo Fighters videos ('Big me', 'Everlong'). That's mostly it.

For me, the part starting at 0:36, showing both Grohl and Waters, is very annoying to see. There seems to be almost no contact, because of Grohl being so busy with his headbanging. I think Grohl is behaving like a Muppet here.
(How I love being grumpy!) :)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I see the Foos' bass player doesn't step down for the occasion either. So in theory there is two bassists playing on this vid, not that you can tell.

People bitch and moan about Waters lipsynching, but how much of that bass work is live? Does he need to play bass at all at the Wall gigs? He is using it as a prop and a bit of theatre, he is not a serious bassist anymore, he has not improved his technique since 1972 and he might as well put the damn thing down.

And Fender just happen to make a Wall Precision Bass in time for his string of Wall gigs? That guy is riding the capitolist waves when it suits him and yet is promoting a show railing against such cynical and hackneyed business. Now he is doing American Daytime TV to shift MORE albums and even selling his ass to some pathetic insta-statium rock band so that the kids will all buy Floyd t-shirts to hang next to their Nirvana ones.

The whole thing makes me sick. I don't see how Roger can have an ounce of self respect left. He can winge about various historical acts of oppression, but when it suits he will have the Fender Mexico plant run up a batch of Precision basses. Yeah, I bet its a barrel of laughs working in the Fender Mexican plant. \:D/ I wonder who gets the lucky job of sticking the fake Wall bricks on the pickguard?

Ach nevermind. If he sells enough units he can pay to bring joy directly to the poor Palestineans by having that island of his shipped out to them crate by crate. Or, he could keep his fucking horse face out of politics and world conflicts as a cheap means of making money for his pension fund and admit he is a washed up novelty act whoring his ass on TV for a quick buck because the change of squeezing the last few pennies out of some dying audio/visual formats is too good to let up. Hell he and Gilmour had big old differences for ages until the idea of making money came up. ](*,)