the Moody Blues

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: the Moody Blues

Post by oldhippy »

Stephen wrote:Still on the Moodies theme I've got two Ray Thomas albums ( not sure if he did more) "From Mighty Oaks" and "Hopes Wishes and Dreams" which I like also, anyone else heard these?
I have both, haven't played them for sometime. I also have The Graeme Edge Band - Kick of your Muddy Boots which includes Adrian Gurvitz he sure has a influence on the sound. Worth getting hold of.

Any one want it message me I'll up it onto rapidshare.
bluewaters
Blade
Blade

Post by bluewaters »

I have Ray's From Mighty Oaks, but I don't have the other one (he only has two).
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Looks like I am entering another Moody Blues phase. The last time was 2007. Not sure what it is...

Dear diary...its raining...?
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

nosaj wrote:
Dear diary...its raining...?
Same here....what a day it's been.

Now you've started me off on a Moodies phase too.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I could never get into this band... What's so special about it? Their music sounds kinda boring to my ears, and their live performances... :smt015
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

danielcaux, I am not sure what is so special about this band. A page or two back, you will see that I sometimes feel they sound like easy listening. BUT, I think for me, I appreciate that they were a "progressive" band as far back as 1967 (their first album), so the music can be kind of interesting for the time - a nice balance of instrumentation...and interesting themes/concepts, if you are in to that sort of thing.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

nosaj wrote: I appreciate that they were a "progressive" band as far back as ....their first album
Prog?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4YbIDAA2ag
AndrewJFisher
Axe
Axe

Post by AndrewJFisher »

I prefer Moody Blues to Pink Floyd though they're quite on the borderline of pop and rock. Certainly I've found them to be very consistently good over the '67-'72 period(I've missed a couple of their albums in that period). They have some of Floyd's depth, maybe Justin Hayward has a bit more charm than David Gilmour. Maybe that they have less of Floyd's cynicism and caution is a strong point. They could certainly be called pretentious, maybe more so than Floyd, but I think their overall result is better music.
DrNakano
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DrNakano »

Fantastic band, I think "In Search Of The Lost Chord" would comfortably make it into any list of my favourite albums of all time...
henno

Post by henno »

DrNakano wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:30 pm Fantastic band, I think "In Search Of The Lost Chord" would comfortably make it into any list of my favourite albums of all time...
thanks doc, reminds me to check them out again today :D
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I've never been a fan of the Moody Blues. But, after seeing this thread I went at the Youtube and listen to the 'Days Of Future Passed' album just now. What first caught my attention are the song titles of this album.

The Day Begins, Dawn: Dawn Is A Feeling, The Morning: Another Morning, Lunch Break: Peak Hour, The Afternoon: Forever Afternoon/Time To Get Away, Evening:...etc

The concept of the ajbum and the song titles are certainly very similar to the first half of The Man and The Journey suite.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Check out 'On a threshold of a dream' its pretty good