Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ScottF
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by ScottF »

Hudini wrote: Except from ABITW part 2 being the only hit single from the album and the three songs cowritten by Gilmour. But that's disputable since "Hey You" appeared on "P.U.L.S.E"...
Yep, that's true.
Roger may have all rights to The Wall, but I believe he'd have to get permission from Gilmour to use the Pink Floyd name.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

When it comes to the use of name, I don't really know the original settlement by heart but I do know that the albums recorded without Waters are copyrighted to Pink Floyd (1987) instead of just Pink Floyd.
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

Mokum69 wrote:
cskg25 wrote:The only reason he's selling tickets to (yet another) set of Wall gigs now is because of the Floyd legend,

Being that The Wall was only really played live about 31 times or so EVER . I don't think it's correct to use the phrase 'yet another set of Wall gigs' .

I meant 'yet another' set of Wall gigs by Roger. He's played pretty much nothing but Wall gigs for years now.
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

Damn!t wrote:
danielcaux wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7PnWZRWrHI
Lads, dont look at those 2nd/3rd generation vhs transfer tapes.
I think our Rog has some far better material locked away.
If you discard the obvious "artistic" monochrome filter over this whole clip, you could clearly see that the picture quality is sharp and basically amazing.
And that there are more camera angles then in the clips from harvested or any other release...
This is what I whas thinking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYrAqAZfjs
"Not that there is a God, but if there was ..." and "souls, not that we have them, but if we did" - interesting that the devout Atheist Roger Waters seems to be having trouble discounting the idea that perhaps there is a God after all, or at least, a form of spirituality. (Before anyone gets crazy, I'm not arguing for or against this idea, although my personal opinion is that there is something deeper within us and our Universe, not necessarily religious as such).

Interesting interview though, and yeah, there just might be enough usable footage after all!
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Maybe the 2011 DVD of The Wall will be the nail in the coffin for the 1980/81 DVD. I hate to say that, but i don´t see the point for Roger for releasing a 1980 DVD. It will be some competition for the sales of his own 2011 version of the show and to be honest, the old show really looks "bad" in comparision. The 1980 technology just cannot compete with the technology today. I can only see it resurface as part of the Wall Immersion set. A special 2011 DVD with bonus disc will probably not work since one is a RW release, another PF.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I agree. I think that Roger using 2010/11 technology will not want to tarnish his vehicle of The Wall by issuing a video of the old gigs. For a start those gigs look to have been clumsily filmed if we trust what is in the hands of bootleggers. Secondly, whilst we want to see Gilmour soloing, Nick pounding the drums in his little cage and all the other stuff, Roger would want the video to reflect the ideologies of The Wall and all the ideas he had behind it that is still probably not best transfered in the music alone or in the visuals. I imagine he will be a stickler for this stuff, so some crappy fixed-camera stage shots from 1981 with crappy lighting and flickering projector clips might excite us but I doubt he would view it with anything but contempt. So whilst an honest concert film would please us I doubt he would want it to be that basic. Its not Pompeii 1.2 it is its own entity.
Dellinger
Axe
Axe

Post by Dellinger »

I'd really love to see the 80's Pink Floyd Wall DVD. Maybe even better than the current Roger Waters tour, because the other had Pink Floyd, and at the very least the vocals were much better back then... the playing I guess is just similar (in some cases I liked better the new Roger Waters versions).

However, I'd like even more to se a DVD from the Animals tour... I guess that's only dreaming.
movement
Axe
Axe

Post by movement »

My suspicion is that they didn't capture enough of the climatic moments properly so it would just leave the viewer frustrated too often.
AlbumShirtGuy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by AlbumShirtGuy »

Way long over due.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The Wall Live 1980-81 video, looking goooood on the Immersion box 8)

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/images/st ... hdool2.jpg

Hope Roger will surprise us later in this year with a complete release, before the world ends... [-o<
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:The Wall Live 1980-81 video, looking goooood on the Immersion box 8)
The short footage of 'Nobody Home' looks very dark:

Pink Floyd - Behind The Wall Clip 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_-hVaKTt4
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Wolfpack wrote:
danielcaux wrote:The Wall Live 1980-81 video, looking goooood on the Immersion box 8)

The newly discovered footage looks a lot better than this. Even the footage in this clip is going to look a million times better with a new HD transfer.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

RonToon wrote:Even the footage in this clip is going to look a million times better with a new HD transfer.
Isn't this a HD transfer already?
What newly discovered footage do you mean? Is there footage of 'Nobody Home' that is bright?
Is this 'Behind The Wall' documentary an old documentary, using inferior footage?

Maybe there's no DVD, for the same reason as why there's still no 5.1 mix. However, I think that a Waters DVD of the new The Wall Tour will blow away any footage of earlier shows. I doubt that anyone of Pink Floyd will look back with fondness of the original The Wall. Pink Floyd was in a crisis. The footage was already of a (reportedly) disappointing quality in the early 1980s. Which is why it didn't go to the cinema. Waters's first The Wall was still made during the crisis, which had become worse. (Late 1980s, early 1990s.) Waters hid himself with sunglasses. The current The Wall shows Waters having fun and also Gilmour and Mason are having fun. Why would they bother the market with a dated show made during a band crisis? Isn't it better to show just a few excerpts that (misguidingly) give the impression that it was almost as spectacular as it would have been today?

Freaks like me want to have everything. So, this is written from what I see as the point-of-view of Pink Floyd.

Maybe, hopefully, they will be easier on the Barrett years. Because Barrett is dead and because that was a more experimental time anyway.
Angelic
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Angelic »

Wolfpack wrote:

That's the footage from the 1980 shows in London which were shot on videotape. The new video of The Happiest Days of our Lives must be the newly found 1981 footage according to Roger's black headphones (which he used only in 1981) and Andy Roberts playing the guitar.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:
RonToon wrote:Even the footage in this clip is going to look a million times better with a new HD transfer.
Isn't this a HD transfer already?
What newly discovered footage do you mean? Is there footage of 'Nobody Home' that is bright?
Is this 'Behind The Wall' documentary an old documentary, using inferior footage?
Yes, 'Behind The Wall' is an old documentary, using the old footage/tranfers availabe at the time. Waters has been working with new tranfers from the masters for the last couple years, meaning better quaility and possibly different camera shots.
Wolfpack wrote:I doubt that anyone of Pink Floyd will look back with fondness of the original The Wall... Why would they bother the market with a dated show made during a band crisis?
Because it was a legendary event in rock history?

Waters' new show may be loaded to the nth degree with multimedia eyecandy, but it doesn't have half the historical weight of these first shows, and most importantly to Pink Floyd and the record company: it's not Pink Floyd. A Pink Floyd release always sells more.