Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I doubt that anyone of Pink Floyd will look back with fondness of the original The Wall... Why would they bother the market with a dated show made during a band crisis?
Because it was a legendary event in rock history?
Do you dare to show FEELINGS? We're talking business here! :)
I doubt that the show will look as legendary on DVD in 2012, as it was in real life in 1980-81. And Waters's Wall at Berlin was more legendary, for being broadcasted around the world.
danielcaux wrote:Waters' new show may be loaded to the nth degree with multimedia eyecandy, but it doesn't have half the historical weight of these first shows, and most importantly to Pink Floyd and the record company: it's not Pink Floyd. A Pink Floyd release always sells more.
The name Pink Floyd is somehow attached to Waters's current The Wall. ("Founder member of Pink Floyd", for example.) So, the package will mention both Pink Floyd and The Wall.
And would Pink Floyd like to release an old show which stands in the shadow of the version by a solo member?

I'm just being the devil's advocate. Of course I would also like to see the original show. But I doubt that EMI finds the taste of die-hard fans interesting enough.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Berlin Wall 90 is a joke visual wise its ok other then that wtf its crap. It doesnt deserve a mention IMO that 1 show.
The original wall shows are as pointed out are highly regarded as being one of the most groundbreaking concerts. Even now with rogers current version of it there still they are just as important as there were in 80-81 and the dvd of them shows will be MASSIVE sellers in their own right once there released.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

A DVD of the original Wall show would probably hit #1. Even with Roger's current tour with better visuals, the original has audio *played by Pink Floyd*. (They managed to sell it on CD without any visuals at all.) It is THE benchmark of modern shows and hugely historical.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

azza200 wrote:Berlin Wall 90 is a joke visual wise its ok other then that wtf its crap. It doesnt deserve a mention IMO that 1 show.
I disagree. I think The Wall in Berlin is one of the highlights in Waters's career. Only the ongoing quarrels between Waters and the other Floyds made it a bit of a disaster. As if the word "revenge" was written all over the wall.
azza200 wrote:The original wall shows are as pointed out are highly regarded as being one of the most groundbreaking concerts. Even now with rogers current version of it there still they are just as important as there were in 80-81 and the dvd of them shows will be MASSIVE sellers in their own right once there released.
I think the original Wall shows are more worth as a myth. In people's memories and on photographs, it looks very promising. But for today's standards, it's not so special anymore.
What I think destroys the original Wall concerts and the Berlin concert, is Waters's bad mood. Since Live8 and his current Wall shows (especially the one wth Gilmour and Mason), he's smiling like he never smiled before. And this positively reflects in the music. During the late 1970s up to the 1990s, Waters was acting like a traumatized emo millionaire. I almost felt guilty for making him rich. The Wall is a great album, but Waters was not a very great person at the time.

However, if you are willing to bet that a DVD of the original The Wall concerts will be a huge hit, I'll just wait and see. I won't hold my breath while waiting, though. Especially when reading the industry's complaints about DVDs not selling good enough.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Wolfpack wrote:What I think destroys the original Wall concerts and the Berlin concert, is Waters's bad mood.
Waters bad mood is what lead to the creation of this masterpiece and it suited the performance perfectly. The (mostly) pathetic and ill-fitting line-up of the Berlin show is what makes it a joke. A very bad joke...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:What I think destroys the original Wall concerts and the Berlin concert, is Waters's bad mood. Since Live8 and his current Wall shows (especially the one wth Gilmour and Mason), he's smiling like he never smiled before.
That's funny, in my case all that smiling and good mood is what completely destroys the magic of these new Wall shows! It's the fncking Wall Roger!! For christ's sake! You gotta feel miserable and desperate or at least act like it!! :lol:

But seriously, there WAS a heavy theatrical and stage performance element in the original Wall shows (and even in the Berlin one) that got completely lost in this new incarnation. Mossy talked about that in some other thread, and I've to agree with him, as good and fun as these new shows are, it's not really THE Wall, it's more like "The Wall Revisited" or "The Wall 2.0" or "The Wall: A Celebration" or something like that, two completely different beings. And because of that I can see films of both versions being released eventually. After all so far Berlin is the only version of The Wall shows available on video right now, go figure.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

RonToon wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:What I think destroys the original Wall concerts and the Berlin concert, is Waters's bad mood.
Waters bad mood is what lead to the creation of this masterpiece and it suited the performance perfectly.
Waters's bad mood was the beginning of the end for him. After The Wall, he's mostly repeating himself. Cynical songs, screaming in background, television sounds, whispering in one channel or another. It's a great difference from 'Granchester Meadows' and 'Give Birth to a Smile'.
RonToon wrote:The (mostly) pathetic and ill-fitting line-up of the Berlin show is what makes it a joke. A very bad joke...
What is so bad about the line-up?
danielcaux wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:What I think destroys the original Wall concerts and the Berlin concert, is Waters's bad mood. Since Live8 and his current Wall shows (especially the one wth Gilmour and Mason), he's smiling like he never smiled before.
That's funny, in my case all that smiling and good mood is what completely destroys the magic of these new Wall shows! It's the fncking Wall Roger!! For christ's sake! You gotta feel miserable and desperate or at least act like it!! :lol:
:lol: Yeah, where are the good old sunglasses and the headphones?
Just imagine Gilmour standing on the wall, while Waters pushes a button to let it collapse under his feet: "Revenge!" Aah, the sweet days of the Pink War.
danielcaux wrote:But seriously, there WAS a heavy theatrical and stage performance element in the original Wall shows (and even in the Berlin one) that got completely lost in this new incarnation. Mossy talked about that in some other thread, and I've to agree with him, [...]
Which thread? I'd like to read about the differences.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

If I'm going to listen to the Is There Anybody Out There CD anyway, I might as well have the concert showing up on my TV to go along with it :)
ZepHead
Axe
Axe

Post by ZepHead »

The footage seen on Divided We Fall is from 9 August 1980 and was shot on videotape. The footage on The Wall Immersion is from 13 June 1981 and was shot on 35 mm film with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. This 1:24 video can foreshadow the incipient blu ray release of the entire concert.
racerboy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by racerboy »

I just bought the Immersion box set and after seeing Happiest Days Of Our Lives, I really think that he should release the entire concert. I know everyone says it problably won't happen, but I sure do hope he will...... That was some awesome footage.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe

Post by ZepHead »

racerboy wrote:I just bought the Immersion box set and after seeing Happiest Days Of Our Lives, I really think that he should release the entire concert. I know everyone says it problably won't happen, but I sure do hope he will...... That was some awesome footage.
I would say the entire concert will be released this year. And I agree, the footage is brilliant: apparently, the concert was shot with up to 10 cameras.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe

Post by ZepHead »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:I find it peculiar that there are no circulating bootlegs containing the far superior-looking 1981 footage. Most of the documentaries about The Wall contain footage from the 1981 tour, notably "the happiest days of our lives" and bits of "hey you".
So the footage on the Immersion box set is from 1981? I've assumed it is from 13 June 1981. I just wonder if the footage of the entire concert exists.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Yes they would of filmed the entire show the 1981 footage is what Steve O Rouke had stashed away and only surfaced after he passed away hence this new footage and most likely too be fully released at some point soon
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

The footage on the DVD is amazing. I would pay $200 for a DVD / Bluray version.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

There must be a limiting factor in all of this. I tend to favour chaos over conspiracy, so I think the original footage must suck. It is probably woefully incomplete, poorly lit or any of the above. Remember this footage comes from a time when the band were going through an especially vicious bout of penis sword-fighting, so I guess trying to accurately film a Wall show with multiple cameras was not at the top of the priorities list for a band who had just devised such a financially crippling live show. Dave Gilmour played the comfortably numb solos teetering on a box that was teetering ontop of a ladder of sorts. It was not a state of the art or slick show, it was kludgey and in all fairness probably crap to a 2012 audience. The more Roger invests in his current live show the less bombastic the old footage will look.