Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by J Ed »

I would pay $200 for a DVD / Bluray version.
please dont say things like that aloud, even if it really is worth that much to you personally
now theyve got us trained to pay $125- for a few bonus tracks Im sure they would love to charge $200- for a dvd
a dvd should not sell for more than a tenth of the above offered price

we've got to adopt the poise of experienced hagglers if we're going to overturn the Immersion precedent
so
you want me to pay for a 32 year old concert? with the band obscured by a wall for half the show? whats that worth to me? I'll offer you a fiver for it
and it better not have any scarves or marbles or Im not taking it
ZepHead
Axe
Axe

Post by ZepHead »

my breakfast. wrote:There must be a limiting factor in all of this. I tend to favour chaos over conspiracy, so I think the original footage must suck. It is probably woefully incomplete, poorly lit or any of the above. Remember this footage comes from a time when the band were going through an especially vicious bout of penis sword-fighting, so I guess trying to accurately film a Wall show with multiple cameras was not at the top of the priorities list for a band who had just devised such a financially crippling live show. Dave Gilmour played the comfortably numb solos teetering on a box that was teetering ontop of a ladder of sorts. It was not a state of the art or slick show, it was kludgey and in all fairness probably crap to a 2012 audience. The more Roger invests in his current live show the less bombastic the old footage will look.
I don't get your point but the 1980/1981 shows were brilliant. More theatrical than the new ones.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

ZepHead wrote:I don't get your point but the 1980/1981 shows were brilliant. More theatrical than the new ones.
Ok I will start again. I favour 'chaos' over 'conspiracy'. I don't think Pink Floyd have hours of perfectly viewable footage they just cannot be fucked releasing. I think whatever footage actually exits is probably too poor for use as a concert video and better serves to flavour a documentary or whatever. The band found the gigs to be logistically and financially challenging, so it is unlikely that they spent a huge deal of money trying to get good live footage as well given all the visual obstructions onstage and the pesky flickering film projectors.

The footage I have seen, excluding a few god shots, has always been dark, poorly framed and generally crappy. If we ignore the miles of VHS noise found on every pirated copy, the Wall footage itself is quite crude, similar to the in-house CCTV footage of Led Zeppelin at the Seattle Kingdome or The Who at the Summit in Texas. It is raw, largely undirected footage that happens to capture the action almost coincidentally. I would be pissed if Zep tried to release the Kingdome as a concert film akin to the Last Waltz for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_u0SVO--dc

This sucks ass.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe

Post by ZepHead »

my breakfast. wrote:
ZepHead wrote:I don't get your point but the 1980/1981 shows were brilliant. More theatrical than the new ones.
Ok I will start again. I favour 'chaos' over 'conspiracy'. I don't think Pink Floyd have hours of perfectly viewable footage they just cannot be fucked releasing. I think whatever footage actually exits is probably too poor for use as a concert video and better serves to flavour a documentary or whatever. The band found the gigs to be logistically and financially challenging, so it is unlikely that they spent a huge deal of money trying to get good live footage as well given all the visual obstructions onstage and the pesky flickering film projectors.

The footage I have seen, excluding a few god shots, has always been dark, poorly framed and generally crappy. If we ignore the miles of VHS noise found on every pirated copy, the Wall footage itself is quite crude, similar to the in-house CCTV footage of Led Zeppelin at the Seattle Kingdome or The Who at the Summit in Texas. It is raw, largely undirected footage that happens to capture the action almost coincidentally. I would be pissed if Zep tried to release the Kingdome as a concert film akin to the Last Waltz for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_u0SVO--dc

This sucks ass.
Have you seen the footage that appeared on the Immersion box set?
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

my breakfast. wrote:

This sucks ass.

I can see where you are coming from Mcbreakfast but I think that the idea would have been to film the concert in order to release a video to, as it turned out, recoup some of the money they lost. So band troubles would not have been a factor. Just instruct someone to organise the filming of. It would only be in post production where band disagreements might stop it coming out.
But it is without doubt very dark. I dont think we can judge by the quality on youtube though. When you record something from tv, for example, on video you only get 70% of the information. Your eye thinks this is okay, but if you then copy that you end up with 70% of 70% and that is how the stuff on Youtube looks to me.
We can cope with dark though can't we. Look at Woodstock, the night time shots are of a simular darkness.
I agree that a dvd of this would dissappoint many. A good way to release it would be in an immersion box set along with a remasterd stereo and 5.1 version of the studio album plus the promo video of ABITW and a documentary. Oh wait a minute didnt they just screw up that opportunity.
ZepHead
Axe
Axe

Post by ZepHead »

I'd assume you haven't seen the new footage. Here are some screenshots. I don't think this is dark at all. And it was shot on 35 mm film.

J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I linked to this new footage in this other thread
McBreakfast I think youre missing an important factoid
they filmed the concerts twice
the circulating bootleg is from 1980
the abandoned concert film was from a year later
the 1:30 fragment included in the new box set is from this second attempt
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

J Ed wrote:
I would pay $200 for a DVD / Bluray version.
please dont say things like that aloud, even if it really is worth that much to you personally
now theyve got us trained to pay $125- for a few bonus tracks Im sure they would love to charge $200- for a dvd
a dvd should not sell for more than a tenth of the above offered price

we've got to adopt the poise of experienced hagglers if we're going to overturn the Immersion precedent
so
you want me to pay for a 32 year old concert? with the band obscured by a wall for half the show? whats that worth to me? I'll offer you a fiver for it
and it better not have any scarves or marbles or Im not taking it
Dear Mr. Waters and dear Mr. Gilmour,

Please release this video for us. Put it in a nice carbon box and add 6 postcards. I repeat again. i - and thousands and thousands of fans - would love to pay $200 or even more for this video on DVD or Bluray.

Thanks!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Not me!!!! I would happily pay $20 for this thing on DVD or B-ray, even $30, sure, but $200??? NO WAY!!!! Hellooooooo Torrent Bay!!! :-;

Was I the only one that found anoying that constant lens flare at the top of the image in the THDoOL video? The two ever present horizontal bright lines across the image. I wonder what was going on there? The image quality is amazing though. But being the curmudgeon that I am I'm gonna say that I like the 80 video shots of the teacher puppet better, he seems more lively and menacing there, more in your face and less puppety :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSTQCF2M7a4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFWiqiGt7Hs

Wait, is the 1980 show the one were Roger has the black headphones or is that the 1981 show??? Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't mind having a restored and recut version of the 1980 video too, as a bonus in a possible release :)
Last edited by danielcaux on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I like the flare...very, Apocolypse Now!!!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

The new Wall video is hotter then Pulse, RTN, Rogers In the flesh and Delicate sound etc... together.
Zipp it brekkie!
If they're gonna get that out, it would be a greatest Floyd video gig since Pompei.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

The 1981 London shows were lit especially for filming... the audience as well. It all looks brilliant.
Believe what you want. Ignorance is bliss.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Actually ignorance is the source of all our anxiety. All this uncertainty is killing us. Is there enough decent footage for a complete release or there is not? Will Roger release it for all of us or he won't? Will this be release as a documentary or as a full concert film? Will he release it in this decade or will he wait for the 40th anniversary of the shows? Etc, etc, etc...

Perhaps is better to not think that much about it, and just wait and see, and hope none of us die in between.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Roger do you think
Dave has the film?

Roger do you think
It is complete?

Roger do you think
He'll release it all?

Ooooh Dave,
Please give it to us all.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

RonToon wrote:The 1981 London shows were lit especially for filming... the audience as well. It all looks brilliant.
Believe what you want. Ignorance is bliss.
Until they take your bliss away