Jethro Tull

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Jethro Tull

Post by Massed Gadgets »

nosaj wrote:So, Ian Anderson is going to release Thick as a Brick 2 in a couple of months as a solo album. Weird.
I dunno, I will wait to hear it before I pass judgement. I've liked some of Ian Anderson's solo stuff. More importantly, I hope he includeds some Canadian dates on his solo tour where he's playing both the original and part 2 live. Now that, I would love to see.

Any word on a 40th Anniversary Edition of Thick As a Brick? It's only a couple of weeks away from the original release date 40 years ago. I've been listening a lot to the 40th ann. ed. of Aqualung. The second disc makes for a very excellent listen.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I've been wondering about the 40th ann. of Thick As a Brick as well. I understand it has been mixed in 5.1 already by Steve Wilson (who also did a 5.1 for Thick As a Brick 2).

Yeah, the Aqualung bonus disc is pretty cool.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Disappointed...no Canadian dates for Ian Anderson's Thick As A Brick tour. :( Maybe something will be added later...have to wait and see.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The entire Thick As A Brick 2 was streaming on Ian Anderson's facebook page earlier in the week...all I can say is that it sounds like most Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson albums released in the last 20 years...but, slightly more interesting. The best part is the organ on this release.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

My girlfriend's Dad is being dragged off to hear this mob in a few weeks time. I will report back with findings!

There is a slew of recent Jethro Tull videos on Youtube, and apart from being rather cheaply filmed (for official releases) they seem to have fallen for the usual traps that old bands fall for. Slower tempos, nasty 'midi' and other shitty sounding digital gadgetry and lumpy musicianship. Sounds like they rented their gear from Argos for the evening.

Ian Anderson sounds bad these days, I guess he smoked too much.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

It's funny how he calls it the "North American" tour, when he's only playing dates in the United States.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I picked up the 40th Anniversary Minstrel in the Gallery box earlier this week!!! Plus the 40th War Child and A Passion Play when they were release, which was not that long ago...just heard there will be a 40th Too Old To...!!! These sets are awesome!!! They are a very rare case of paying for a 4 disc box that is truly worthwhile AND affordable - do you hear that PF Management? $45.00 CDA + tax, with informative booklet and no junk like marbles and scarves...they are very much like the Piper 40th in design AND affordability!!! <ii> <ii>
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Eclipse wrote: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:45 pm I just returned this topic because i really got into this amazing band now! Ian Anderson is clearly a genius, a great lyricist, showman, composer, flute player...His solo career is really good too. The Secret Language Of Birds, Divinities and Rupi's Dance are great albums and should be listened by every Tull fan!
About the band's albums, i absolutely love Benefit. It has a lot of power and passion IMO. No need to mention Aqualung and TAAB, masterpieces too! I personally think A Passion Play and Minstrel in the Gallery are a bit underrated, and really love both. Surely, they are a bit more difficult to listen to, especially APP, but they sure deserve attention. Not forgetting to mention the trilogy composed of Songs from the Wood (how much energy!), Heavy Horses (Moths is a really moving song) and Stormwatch (i'm a bit more reserved for this last one though). After that, i don't enjoy the band as much (i also didn't get into their first two albums, This Was and Stand Up, but i'm working on that!), but i really like the album Roots to Branches and its eastern feel.
Hello Eclipse :)

Did you still enjoy in Jethro Tull music? I love them1
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

space triangle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:37 am
Eclipse wrote: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:45 pm I just returned this topic because i really got into this amazing band now! Ian Anderson is clearly a genius, a great lyricist, showman, composer, flute player...His solo career is really good too. The Secret Language Of Birds, Divinities and Rupi's Dance are great albums and should be listened by every Tull fan!
About the band's albums, i absolutely love Benefit. It has a lot of power and passion IMO. No need to mention Aqualung and TAAB, masterpieces too! I personally think A Passion Play and Minstrel in the Gallery are a bit underrated, and really love both. Surely, they are a bit more difficult to listen to, especially APP, but they sure deserve attention. Not forgetting to mention the trilogy composed of Songs from the Wood (how much energy!), Heavy Horses (Moths is a really moving song) and Stormwatch (i'm a bit more reserved for this last one though). After that, i don't enjoy the band as much (i also didn't get into their first two albums, This Was and Stand Up, but i'm working on that!), but i really like the album Roots to Branches and its eastern feel.
Hello Eclipse :)

Did you still enjoy in Jethro Tull music? I love them1
Hey there!
Yes, it has been a long time since I don't listen to those classic albums, but my opinion regarding those first two albums became more positive nowadays! Especially about Stand Up. I don't know why it took me so much time to get into those two albums.
I also liked Thick as a Brick part 2, by Ian Anderson. It has to be listened without being compared to the 70's masterpiece. It is interesting to listen to both as a full album!