"In The News" Discussion Thread

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "In The News" Discussion Thread

Post by Keith Jordan »

I hadn't heard of that, Moom. Seems like a good idea. Our public transport here in the UK is far too expensive to use! I am glad I can drive.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

What do you drive, Keith :) ?

Here, the idea met LOTS of opposition, mostly from the ruling parties, but thank God they don't rule in Tallinn coz I hate them and their idiocy. They say Tallinn does not have sufficient funds to keep the thing up, even though Savisaar (our mayor, from the Centrist Party - them) and his folks have said it many-many times that there are sponsors, there will be money left from reorganizing structures, and also foreigners will still be charged (sorry, folks - but fret not, our prices are really cheap). Also there will be money from people getting new public transportation cards (quite why are those necessary I don't know, while the current system is very handy - we have ID-cards for passports, and electronic tickets are loaded on them, and you don't have to compost them, just carry with you; I always get a 30-day ticket for 18,50 euros and use public transport every day, and stories of its dirt/smells etc are obviously coming from people who never use p. t. or maybe used once and got unlucky). So yeah, opposition will be opposition - unfortunately, in our country if you do not support Reformists, IRL or other party ruling the government and support Centrists who have been ruling Tallinn for years - you're called an idiot, a traitor, and they will never listen to you no matter how rock-solid your point is. President says our country has hit adulthood (21 years of restoration of independence) - yeah, adulthood my a** :lol:

Also, people say p. t. will be "even" dirtier (again, as if it is dirty now). Well, the vagons get washed - yeah, WASHED - EVERY time they go to depot. And when was the last time I saw a homeless person use p. t. before yesterday on a tram!?

Oh I could go on.

Overall, knowing the Centrist Party, who actually does not just makes promises but also KEEPS them and very useful ones, too, I expect a free-of-charge p. t. starting next year.

Also, we're about to start building our own "subway" - speedtram. First line should be ready in 2017 :D

And finally, what about a new train terminus? In 2019 :D - I wish I had that project picture right now - it's gorgeous :D

P.S. In case you're wondering - it's over 416,000 people, our population, plus about 50,000 (?... 35-40,000 at least) just outside the city, kind of like suburbs. And population is growing every year, by about 4-5,000 (about 3,000 in the city).
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Approximately a month ago, in a lavish tribute to their eternal leader, Kim Il-sung"s 100th birthday (were he not nestled in the crypt of his people's despair), launched a missile. It was shaped as a giant representation of his deceased penis, and his great-grandson, Kim Jong Unscrupulous, was given the honor of pushing the launch button. Little Kim misread the instructions (they were in Chinese, after all) and thinking that it was a large penis-rocket meant to impregnate the universe, he did what came naturally and pressed the button too soon, ejaculating the rocket over some hapless whales that were off the coast of South Korea. The whale were actually relieved, as they were tired of the radiation burns they had received from the Japanese heavy-water dump they'd had the gall to swim through, and prior to being bonked by the failed missile/penis, had been searching for a Japanese research vessel/whaler, in order to commit suicide.

Little Kim Unnecessary quickly punished the true culprits that were guilty for the failure. All of the families of the scientists and engineers connected with the wet-dream were immediately rounded up and shot, which was a great relief to them, as they had all been starving to death anyway, and they couldn't find a way to get their hands on any heavy-water.

Naturally, the Iranian officials who had come to observe, were covering their eyes and didn't see a thing. It's ironic that they have so much in common with North Korea, which- following the fiasco-announced to the world that they were attempting to launch an information satelite. That's rich. Yes, the Iranians are as interested in providing their population with knowledge and information as the North Koreans are. It's downright heartwarming.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

A day before, a 16 year old girl in a northeastern state in India (Assam, to be specific) was molested in a very posh area of the city. (She had gone to a bar at night, where she was harassed by a group of men). Now, this may not as outrageous as the part that comes next : the group that molested her consisted of 50 men. The girl, being chased by the whole gang cried out to onlookers who either ignored her call or were too scared to save her. Hence, resulting in the girl being stripped and beaten by the lot for a whole 45 minutes, of which there is footage, including a Youtube video, before the police came onto the scene.

If this is not a national shame, I don't know what is.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

What a terrible story. Unfortunately this isn't the first nor the last time things like these will happen :(
It's a classic example of the bystander effect, where something happens and nobody does anything to help
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Prince Harry has been a naughty boy in Vegas! <.8.>
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Prince Harry's father is said to have laughed off the naked photos that have been leaked to the media, saying boys will be boys. However, Prince Charles is said to be livid.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

8-[ :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Poor old Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, has died.
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

Keith Jordan wrote:Poor old Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, has died.
RIP, He no doubt will forever be remembered.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

For sure. The whole story of the moon landing and what he said when he got there are iconic and will remain so. It happened before I was born but from listening to other people, it really was a big deal at the time.

And of course there's a Pink Floyd connection :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2HHT7txFQ0
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

I remember watching it on a old black and white TV. I also remember people arguing about it, one side saying that they had faked it on a elaborate Hollywood set, and of course the other, that it was real. For my part I'm sure that Neil Armstrong really did walk on the moon. I'd hate to think that all that money was spent on a Hollywood fake.
BTW, I like Moonhead, it was a good soundtrack for the event.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Vladimir Putin is going to pretend to be a Crane and fly a handglider in front of a flock. He'll be dressing up in white overalls and wearing a special 'beak' so they think he's one of them!!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Creek wrote:I remember watching it on a old black and white TV. I also remember people arguing about it, one side saying that they had faked it on a elaborate Hollywood set, and of course the other, that it was real. For my part I'm sure that Neil Armstrong really did walk on the moon. I'd hate to think that all that money was spent on a Hollywood fake.
BTW, I like Moonhead, it was a good soundtrack for the event.
With the number of people involved in the project, surely word would've gotten out by now. Even though I do love a good conspiracy theory. Regarding outer space, I struggle to think of any events which were as significant as this one.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Flying pig437 wrote:Vladimir Putin is going to pretend to be a Crane and fly a handglider in front of a flock. He'll be dressing up in white overalls and wearing a special 'beak' so they think he's one of them!!
Sadly over here we just get David Cameron dressing like a twat and trying to pass himself off as a human being!

(Although I would have said the same about whoever's in charge to be honest.)

My favourite Moon conspiracy was man did eventually manage to get to it. But they found aliens there who (And I'm parphrasing somewhat) were all "Yo! Yo! The fuck you doing here? This is our business! See you? You can get right back in that NASA shite and fuck the fuck off back where you came!"
So basically aliens from the Deep South seem to live on the Moon. (I thank yew! ;))