Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
21%
35%
18%
18%
1 - Worst
8%

Total votes: 133

admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Post by admiral panther »

im listening to it right now, it may seem some of your worst are my favorite, buts just me, i like it all..
Frankymole
Axe
Axe

Post by Frankymole »

Flying pig437 wrote:I'm glad I gave this more of a chance. I think it's almost a great album although the lyrics are pretty bad. Most of them are just a litany of complaints and harangues.
Yes, it's ironic that it comes across as more bitter than any of Roger's albums.

To be honest, Floyd had less personnel changes than virtually any band on the planet, so I don't care much about the line-up, it's the quality of music that matters.

Rick Wright did a lead vocal on "Time" on the live "Delicate Sound" double-album, so it's not been that long. Still nice to hear him.

It's 50% enjoyable but not as good as it seemed in 1994.
SteveB
Embryo
Embryo

Post by SteveB »

Annoying Twit wrote: But didn't U2 copy the highly echoed guitar sound from RLH in the first place?
Okay, I'm stumped. :( Who is/are/were RLH?

Have just listened to Echoes & TDB back-to-back. I enjoyed it all. Money (ahem) well spent. :D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

SteveB wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote: But didn't U2 copy the highly echoed guitar sound from RLH in the first place?
Okay, I'm stumped. :( Who is/are/were RLH?

Have just listened to Echoes & TDB back-to-back. I enjoyed it all. Money (ahem) well spent. :D
Run Like Hell! I love the fact that we can refer to song titles by their initials. In fact, we should make a thread about it.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

I feel illiterate every time I read titles extracted to *TSNWGAWPHOSLSTC and the likes.
At worst my two brain-half's cook and everything in the nearest perimeter incinerates!
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

*The Seventh Number Where Gilmour And Waters Play Harmonies On Syds Loose Tryout Chords.
SteveB
Embryo
Embryo

Post by SteveB »

Annoying Twit wrote: But didn't U2 copy the highly echoed guitar sound from RLH in the first place? - -

SteveB: "Okay, I'm stumped. :( Who is/are/were RLH?"

J.D.B: Run Like Hell!

Aw, sh*t. :(
I'm trying to think of one of those U.S. stadium rock groups with lead singer's named The Puke or suchlike.
Ah well - thanks for the clarification. :)
SteveB
Embryo
Embryo

Post by SteveB »

Meandthem wrote:I feel illiterate every time I read titles extracted to *TSNWGAWPHOSLSTC and the likes.
At worst my two brain-half's cook and everything in the nearest perimeter incinerates!

+1 :)
bigV
Axe
Axe

Post by bigV »

I've been listening to TDB a lot lately - it's both in my car and on my phone. Lately I can't get enough of the one track that I always used to skip over - that track is "Cluster One". It's such an amazing, atmospheric piece. I swear, if I had a full CD of variations on the same theme I wouldn't get bored with it. Lovely!

V.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

i realized something 2 weeks ago when i listened to Meddle while driving: the outro of Echoes has the same kind of "dialogue" between the guitar and the piano that happens in Cluster One. oh well, i thought it was one of the cleverest ideas on TDB until then...
it still is a highlight of the album though.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I voted it a 2. 1.5 for High Hopes, and a 0.5 sympathy gift since this was Floyd's last one. (Though I try hard to make myself believe it was Animals).
bigV
Axe
Axe

Post by bigV »

mastaflatch wrote:i realized something 2 weeks ago when i listened to Meddle while driving: the outro of Echoes has the same kind of "dialogue" between the guitar and the piano that happens in Cluster One. oh well, i thought it was one of the cleverest ideas on TDB until then...
Good artists copy. Great artists steal.

And if an artist can't steal from himself, from whom can he steal?

V.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

bigV wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:i realized something 2 weeks ago when i listened to Meddle while driving: the outro of Echoes has the same kind of "dialogue" between the guitar and the piano that happens in Cluster One. oh well, i thought it was one of the cleverest ideas on TDB until then...
Good artists copy. Great artists steal.

And if an artist can't steal from himself, from whom can he steal?

V.
what about artists that copy their former selves to steal applauses from their established fanbase? <ii>
bigV
Axe
Axe

Post by bigV »

mastaflatch wrote:what about artists that copy their former selves to steal applauses from their established fanbase? <ii>
All artists do that. Queen tried to re-create Bohemian Rhapsody with Innuendo. Bon Jovi recorded an album of covers of their own songs. Paul McCartney's concert setlists are mostly made up of Beatles songs. Metalica setlists are mostly made up of songs from before the St. Anger disaster. Roger Waters (or his publicist perhaps) said that people who bought Dark Side and The Wall should buy Amused to Death...

...and so on.

V.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

bigV wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:what about artists that copy their former selves to steal applauses from their established fanbase? <ii>
All artists do that. Queen tried to re-create Bohemian Rhapsody with Innuendo. Bon Jovi recorded an album of covers of their own songs. Paul McCartney's concert setlists are mostly made up of Beatles songs. Metalica setlists are mostly made up of songs from before the St. Anger disaster. Roger Waters (or his publicist perhaps) said that people who bought Dark Side and The Wall should buy Amused to Death...

...and so on.

V.
true. but that doesn't make the redundancies any better. evolving along your own style is one thing, recycling good ideas to put them in a much less imaginative context is another.