Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Which box set would you like to see next?

1967 - Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn
13%
1968 - Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
8%
1969 - Pink Floyd - Soundtrack from the Film More
No votes
1969 - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
3%
1970 - Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
6%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Meddle
18%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Relics
1%
1972 - Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
1%
1977 - Pink Floyd - Animals
40%
1983 - Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
4%
1987 - Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
2%
1994 - Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
4%

Total votes: 139

jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

Post by jambo »

bigV wrote:Division Bell (an unpopular choice, I know). I read that they recorded tons of stuff for it and there was plenty that was good (a PF demo of "Breakthrough"?). Also, I'm really hoping for a longer version of "Cluster One". Like 2 hours long :lol:

V.
I do remember Nick Mason talking about there being enough good instrumental material for a whole LP. I would love that, the little jam sections that pop up through out the album are awesome.
ricky66
Axe
Axe

Post by ricky66 »

jambo wrote:
bigV wrote:Division Bell (an unpopular choice, I know). I read that they recorded tons of stuff for it and there was plenty that was good (a PF demo of "Breakthrough"?). Also, I'm really hoping for a longer version of "Cluster One". Like 2 hours long :lol:

V.
I do remember Nick Mason talking about there being enough good instrumental material for a whole LP. I would love that, the little jam sections that pop up through out the album are awesome.

That does sound good, a wholey instrumental album from the DBell era. For mine though the vote goes to Animals, my favourite floyd album for too many reasons to list
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

Piper is my choice. Simply because Syd's creations should be exposed to everyone who doesn't know how this whole epic journey began.
Last edited by Creek on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Ananimals Box Set would be okay for me. I'd like the following rarities from the Animals era to be unearthed:

1) Horses
2) Turkey
3) Bulls on Bullshit Parts 1 and 2
4) Cats.

:lol:
Nicholas
Axe
Axe

Post by Nicholas »

I voted for Atom Heart Mother because it's where the Pink Floyd we know and love came of age. It would be interesting to hear the lead ins to where the band were heading at this point. Certainly with Syd out the picture as a recording artist shortly after made their development with Meddle even more intriguing but I would prefer the post Ummagumma stuff including Music From The Body and Embryo which are variably from this time.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

jambo wrote:I do remember Nick Mason talking about there being enough good instrumental material for a whole LP.
How kind of mr. Nick Mason, telling the fans what is possibly locked in the vaults forever. :smt089
Hey, we've unearthed some great Pink Floyd recordings, but you fans will never get to hear them!

Luckily, we have the scarfs to dry our eyes with. ](*,)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:
jambo wrote:I do remember Nick Mason talking about there being enough good instrumental material for a whole LP.
How kind of mr. Nick Mason, telling the fans what is possibly locked in the vaults forever.
It's not Mason's fault that those tracks are not getting a release at all. Him telling us that they do in fact exist is a way of giving us info and creating a demand for them, in order to pressure the labels and Floyd bosses for their release IMO. Broke-ass Mason is our friend folks.
El Vid
Embryo
Embryo

Post by El Vid »

I voted Division Bell. I just love that album.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:It's not Mason's fault that those tracks are not getting a release at all. Him telling us that they do in fact exist is a way of giving us info and creating a demand for them, in order to pressure the labels and Floyd bosses for their release IMO. Broke-ass Mason is our friend folks.
I agree on that. Although Mason would help a lot more by leaking some copies. :)
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Why not release Pompeii as an actual live album if not as part of a Meddle Immersion? Seems a bit strange they've not done that already or The Man & The Journey. I think it's got to be something Pre-Dark side because there's so much out there, esp. live from the mid 70's on. Saying that though demos and early studio versions of Animals album would be interesting.
PemmicanHoosh
Axe
Axe

Post by PemmicanHoosh »

Edit: Deleted duplicate post ... thing.
Last edited by PemmicanHoosh on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PemmicanHoosh
Axe
Axe

Post by PemmicanHoosh »

Roger Waters, interviewed for the Wish You Were Here songbook, said that they started work on that album with rehearsals in Kings Cross (surely they recorded them?) and then went in the studio January 1975 to begin recording the album. At this stage it was going to be Shine On and the two Animals songs.

According to RW, they carried on 'for a few weeks' before deciding that something had to change as they were all bored. He then said he suggested bridging the two halves of Shine On with new material.

Something must have been committed to tape during these weeks before the change of plan and then there were the rehearsals before that which must have included Shine On, Raving... and You Gotta Be.... Would be nice to hear all that stuff, it surely still exists somewhere. Perhaps we could have the album Wish You Were Here might have been, with rough (Jan 75, or rehersal versions) of the three songs - a sort of Wish You Were Animals immersion rounded off with home demo versions of Pigs on the Wing 1 & 2. A sort of great lost Floyd album to rival the Beach Boys' Smile.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

PemmicanHoosh wrote:Roger Waters, interviewed for the Wish You Were Here songbook, said that they started work on that album with rehearsals in Kings Cross (surely they recorded them?) and then went in the studio January 1975 to begin recording the album. At this stage it was going to be Shine On and the two Animals songs.

According to RW, they carried on 'for a few weeks' before deciding that something had to change as they were all bored. He then said he suggested bridging the two halves of Shine On with new material.

Something must have been committed to tape during these weeks before the change of plan and then there were the rehearsals before that which must have included Shine On, Raving... and You Gotta Be.... Would be nice to hear all that stuff, it surely still exists somewhere. Perhaps we could have the album Wish You Were Here might have been, with rough (Jan 75, or rehersal versions) of the three songs - a sort of Wish You Were Animals immersion rounded off with home demo versions of Pigs on the Wing 1 & 2. A sort of great lost Floyd album to rival the Beach Boys' Smile.
Mind you, we have the versions of 'Shine On', 'Raving' & 'You Gotta Be' recorded at the Empire Pool that are on disc 2 of the immersion & experience Wish You Were Here releases - and I think as far as band are concerned, *that* was their way of putting out a version of how the follow-up to DSOTM was originally conceived.

If those rehearsals are in the vaults, then they must have had some reason for choosing the live recordings over the rehearsal - either the rehearsal needed a lot of editing to get it into shape for release, or it didn't have as good a 'feel' as the live version, or something..

Still, it sure would be interesting to compare the rehearsal with the live versions from late 1974 - and indeed the live 1975 versions that are in trading circles.

I think the only audio stuff they'd put on an Animals set are either live recordings from 1977 or mix variations (wonder if there's an early alt mix of the whole album like there is with DSOTM?) Unfortunately I doubt they'd revisit the early versions from 1974-5.
PemmicanHoosh
Axe
Axe

Post by PemmicanHoosh »

I must admit, I wasn't being strictly serious. Sure I'd like to hear that stuff but I agree, they are not going to go over old ground again. I do wonder just how thoroughly they went through everything and did they really listen? Perhaps. I think about when Mark Lewishon went through every Beatles' tape as a fan and wrote about it as fully as possible. It certainly fuelled the growing interest in their archive. I don't get that with PF, more a reluctant sort of 'I suppose we ought to do something then' vibe, although I might be being letting my desire cloud my judgement.

I have a lovely book of Leonardo Da Vinci drawings. I'm not sure even the mighty Floyd bear comparison to the great man, but his sketches and scribbles are considered important as works of art in their own right, giving new insights to the familiar and changing the way they are viewed, as well as fleshing out the story of the man himself. Nick Mason also said he was happy to listen to umpteen takes and false starts of his favourite jazz musicians. There is a great demand among true fans of anyone and anything to just have more and I've yet to hear of some artist or musician's work actually losing status from having their sketches and fumblings made available to the public.

I know they don't owe us a thing, I certainly don't feel that, but I do feel that they underestimate the value of 'their stuff'. So I'd take anything they've got to offer, thank you, providing they don't give Storm the job of presenting it, unless he's heavily sedated first.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

flippikat wrote:
If those rehearsals are in the vaults, then they must have had some reason for choosing the live recordings over the rehearsal - either the rehearsal needed a lot of editing to get it into shape for release, or it didn't have as good a 'feel' as the live version, or something..

Getting it 'in shape' defeats the object of releasing it as bonus material. Ideally it shouldn't matter whether or not it's 'in shape'.