Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Which box set would you like to see next?

1967 - Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn
13%
1968 - Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
8%
1969 - Pink Floyd - Soundtrack from the Film More
No votes
1969 - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
3%
1970 - Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
6%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Meddle
18%
1971 - Pink Floyd - Relics
1%
1972 - Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
1%
1977 - Pink Floyd - Animals
40%
1983 - Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
4%
1987 - Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
2%
1994 - Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
4%

Total votes: 139

flippikat
Axe
Axe

Re: Which Album Would You Choose as Next Immersion Box Set?

Post by flippikat »

PemmicanHoosh wrote:I must admit, I wasn't being strictly serious. Sure I'd like to hear that stuff but I agree, they are not going to go over old ground again. I do wonder just how thoroughly they went through everything and did they really listen? Perhaps. I think about when Mark Lewishon went through every Beatles' tape as a fan and wrote about it as fully as possible. It certainly fuelled the growing interest in their archive. I don't get that with PF, more a reluctant sort of 'I suppose we ought to do something then' vibe, although I might be being letting my desire cloud my judgement.

I have a lovely book of Leonardo Da Vinci drawings. I'm not sure even the mighty Floyd bear comparison to the great man, but his sketches and scribbles are considered important as works of art in their own right, giving new insights to the familiar and changing the way they are viewed, as well as fleshing out the story of the man himself. Nick Mason also said he was happy to listen to umpteen takes and false starts of his favourite jazz musicians. There is a great demand among true fans of anyone and anything to just have more and I've yet to hear of some artist or musician's work actually losing status from having their sketches and fumblings made available to the public.

I know they don't owe us a thing, I certainly don't feel that, but I do feel that they underestimate the value of 'their stuff'. So I'd take anything they've got to offer, thank you, providing they don't give Storm the job of presenting it, unless he's heavily sedated first.

I think for a long time the members of Pink Floyd had an almost perfectionist opinion, basically:
"Our albums are fine as they are - they're the definitive statement, and we don't want 'work sketches' released", and that was the drill - you'd get remastering after remastering of the officially released albums.

Sadly this refusal to open the vaults even extended to vintage live recordings - and sure there are some where parts of the performance is less than stellar. (Some of Davids singing can be especially dicey) HOWEVER there's plenty of live recordings where the playing and singing are fine AND recording quality is ok - as we all know by the better ROIOs circulating.

Maybe they were just too close to their own work to make an objective assessment? It's good to see them reassess that old policy now, and realise that there is an interest in how that music was sculpted into shape (especially if some interesting ideas were dropped on the official release), and how it developed on the road after the albums were released..

You make a good point about Lewisohn - the Beatles Recording Sessions book marks a real turning point in that band's fanbase.
Ever since then, we've known exactly what was recorded, when, and what tapes exist in the EMI archives.

It's a shame that Pink Floyd haven't had a similar amount of light shed on their sessions (as many artists have had 'studio session' books written since the Beatles) - because even though there's a list of tracks we'd all love to hear, we only know about them in very vague details.

Mind you, future "Why Pink Floyd?" releases may give them the chance to reveal some of those details...
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Flying pig437 wrote:
flippikat wrote:
If those rehearsals are in the vaults, then they must have had some reason for choosing the live recordings over the rehearsal - either the rehearsal needed a lot of editing to get it into shape for release, or it didn't have as good a 'feel' as the live version, or something..

Getting it 'in shape' defeats the object of releasing it as bonus material. Ideally it shouldn't matter whether or not it's 'in shape'.
If it's a rehearsal, the quality of performance may vary. It could be complete or extremely fragmented.

If the sound quality is equal, given the choice between a live performance and an unedited rehearsal - I think the live performance would usually get more listens.. especially if the rehearsal tape is repetitive.
wilfsdad
Embryo
Embryo

Post by wilfsdad »

atom Heart mother
disc 1 cd - regular album
disc 2 cd - bbc in concert from 1970
disc 3 dvd a - stereo mix plus original quad mix
disc 4 dvd v - kqed broadcast april 1970
disc 5 bd - all the previous audio/video
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

PemmicanHoosh wrote: I think about when Mark Lewishon went through every Beatles' tape as a fan and wrote about it as fully as possible. It certainly fuelled the growing interest in their archive. I don't get that with PF,
Jeez! That would be nice! I've not thought about buying a book for ages but I'd buy that!!
RonBaker2003
Axe
Axe

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Good choice Wilfsdad. Although, I would also like to have "The Man and the Journey" included.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

PemmicanHoosh wrote: I have a lovely book of Leonardo Da Vinci drawings. .
Are you Bill Gates? :lol:
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

RonBaker2003 wrote:Good choice Wilfsdad. Although, I would also like to have "The Man and the Journey" included.
The Floyd members have stated that A Man and the Journey Set won't be released since it's similar to the Ummagumma Live album. I'm not really dying for a M&J set, cause I've got the bootleg.

On the other hand, though, I'd like some of their 1970 shows like Interstellar Encore (Fillmore West/East :? 1970) to be released since it's in pristine quality and is a very good live show of theirs.
wilfsdad
Embryo
Embryo

Post by wilfsdad »

man and journey won't ever be released because gilmours vocals are well dodgy, not because it's similar to ummagumma. i personally don't think m&j belongs with AHM either. we could maybe add the 1970 nightride session.
pinkyblue123
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkyblue123 »

That one with the Muppets drummer in ... Animal[s] :)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Maybe Pink Floyd can be compared with Kraftwerk, who even omits its first three* albums to be released on CD - remastered or not. What the Immersion brought so far, is just the real famous, rich years of Pink Floyd - as if 'Dark Side of the Moon' is their debut album.

There could be an amazing Immersion of the year 1969 alone, with concepts like 'More', 'Ummagumma' and the 'The Man And The Journey'. Including a great unreleased song like 'Seabirds'. But 1967-1972 were mainly the hippie years. Both Pink Floyd and Kraftwerk were once hippie bands. Since they became more like yuppies, or just rich people, they'd rather seem to forget their hippie years. Maybe this a good example of "hippiecrits". (hypocrits)

(* Four Kraftwerk albums, if 'Tone Float' is counted.)
RonBaker2003
Axe
Axe

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Wasn't "Atom Heart Mother" a #1 charting album though? It was the first Pink Floyd track I heard on the radio. Yeh...those were the days...a 24 minute song played on FM radio. These days it's all satellite playlists from one or two conglomerates.

I still vote for an immersion set for "Atom Heart Mother"
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

RonBaker2003 wrote:Wasn't "Atom Heart Mother" a #1 charting album though? It was the first Pink Floyd track I heard on the radio. Yeh...those were the days...a 24 minute song played on FM radio. These days it's all satellite playlists from one or two conglomerates.

I still vote for an immersion set for "Atom Heart Mother"
I agree. I think as I've already said on this forum, it deserves to be an Immersion box for the reason Dave Brock from Hawkwind stopped listening to them! (He didn't explain in the interview, probably something old skool like it got to number one and thus £sell out$)
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Whilst AHM may have been a number 1 album at the time it didnt sell in the vast numbers that DSOTM did. Remember this is all about money as far as the record company is concerned. Dont think we actually know how well these previous box sets sold do we?
I must be a reasonably big fan to be on this website but they completely lost me on the project.
I was never gonna buy the DSOTM one as I already have the SACD and the dvd of the making of.
I almost bought the WYWH but managed to get the SACD instead.
The Wall, my favourite album and a certain purchase. Oh, no 5.1 version and no original Wall footage, forget it!!
I would buy Animals if they made a box set as the original cd was such dreadful quality but it all seems unlikey to me 'til they can release it all again on some yet to be invented format in 20 years time!
Nicholas
Axe
Axe

Post by Nicholas »

Wolfpack wrote:Maybe Pink Floyd can be compared with Kraftwerk, who even omits its first three* albums to be released on CD - remastered or not. What the Immersion brought so far, is just the real famous, rich years of Pink Floyd - as if 'Dark Side of the Moon' is their debut album.

There could be an amazing Immersion of the year 1969 alone, with concepts like 'More', 'Ummagumma' and the 'The Man And The Journey'. Including a great unreleased song like 'Seabirds'. But 1967-1972 were mainly the hippie years. Both Pink Floyd and Kraftwerk were once hippie bands. Since they became more like yuppies, or just rich people, they'd rather seem to forget their hippie years. Maybe this a good example of "hippiecrits". (hypocrits)

(* Four Kraftwerk albums, if 'Tone Float' is counted.)
I'm a bit confused why they chose to become millionaires by in effect going out of their way to create a processed version of their sound for the mass consumer. Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall are contradictions at best. It's not Pink Floyd to my ears. Atom Heart Mother is their last great album. Live at Pompeii is farewell to a once great band.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

That's going over the board... I mean, personally for me, they went into a decline ever since Saucerful (or More), even on Ummagumma you can see indulgent tracks like Several Species, but on an average I think many agree that The Wall is their last great (notice I said great, not good) album. I think Animals was where we saw their top form last.

Just a reminder for those who don't know, Obscured by Clouds is a really underrated album by PF.