Ex-Dire Straits sax-player supposed to tour with PF in '93?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Ex-Dire Straits sax-player supposed to tour with PF in '93?

Post by Peter Harold »

Hi there!

We have heard that David Gilmour said he needed a saxophone player to do the classic Floyd stuff live on tour (TDB-93), and that the band bring in Mr. Dick Parry to see if he still "got it". When in studio, they decided to put him on Richard Wrights amazing track "Wearing the inside out" in the studio.

Today, I read about The Straits (ex-members of Dire Straits) and that Chris White - who recorded and toured with Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler - was prevented to tour with Pink Floyd due to an motorcykle accident in 1993.

Anyone that have heard about this before?

Best regards,
Peter
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Ex-Dire Straits sax-player supposed to tour with PF in '

Post by Flying pig437 »

No but can I just ask, purely out of curiosity, why it's so important for you to know?
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

Flying pig437 wrote:No but can I just ask, purely out of curiosity, why it's so important for you to know?
Well, first of all it could be nice to know if someone could confirm the information stated at Wikipedia. Secondly, this information brings more to the chronology of how "The Division Bell" was recorded. It is sad that even when the record was new, everyone prefered to talk about "The Wall" and "The Dark side of the moon" or the "Roger Waters-situation".

Also, I wonder if the musical direction took another turn when Mr Dick Parry joined the touring band. As Mr White seems to be Gilmour's first call, maybe he was intended for futher recording on the album? It seems to me that the record wasn't complete when the band made up the plans for the tour.

Best regards,
Peter
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Chris White did tour with Dire Straits on there last tour, which finished October 1992, and he did have a motorcycle accident which prevented him joining Pink Floyd for the Division Bell Tour, so David Gilmour gave Dick Parry a call. Chris is an amazing sax player, and has added a lot to various Dire Straits songs over the years both live and on album.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Had Dick Parry given up playing at that stage?
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

snifferdog wrote:Had Dick given up playing at that stage?
I didn't expect this from a gentlewoman like you. Oh wait, you're Irish.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

snifferdog wrote:Had Dick Parry given up playing at that stage?
Sorry for my late answer, but I have been busy relocating my mind after being hit by an car in an traffic accident a few days before your question.

Yes, Mr Parry had given up his sax playing (not sex playing, "rememberaday") and made his living as a farrier. I think Gilmour mentioned that Parry also had sold his old saxophones. Gilmour was pretty keen om having Parry on board for the tour as he was in need of more personal and loyal friends around him, taking a more serious and mature approach for "The Division Bell"-project. AMLOR-project was in many ways performed during the "cocane lifestyle", and Gilmour had to leave that (on demand by new girlfriend Polly Samson). Many candidates could have played the saxophone during the tour, but I think Gilmour at this point valued the friendship with Mr Parry. In fact, they worked together before Gilmour joined Pink Floyd. Anyway, he invited Mr Parry to Astoria to see if he could manage perform his classic solos. And he did! Mr Gilmour was so happy to hear that Parry still "got it", so they did rearrange "Wearing the inside out" to include his sax solo, as this much gave the song the most Pink Floyd-air on any of the tracks.

I think the touring and this record in 1994 helped Mr Parry to buy a new saxophone (or two in fact), and he still "got it" when ½-Pink Floyd toured again in the 2006 in the "The David Gilmour Band". As I can't recall Mr Parry recorded any part on the "On An Island"-album, I have no idea how Gilmour sold the idea of touring with him again, but at that time he (Parry) was active with other bands too. Let's not forget that Parry also played the last ever gig with full line-up Pink Floyd at Live8.

Best regards,
Peter
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Thanks Peter. And I hope you've recovered from your accident :D
3Dasha
Axe
Axe

Post by 3Dasha »

Peter Harold wrote:
snifferdog wrote:Had Dick Parry given up playing at that stage?
Yes, Mr Parry had given up his sax playing (not sex playing, "rememberaday") and made his living as a farrier.
I didn't know he had such unmusical, even manual profession, during his 'not playing' period. :shock:
Interesting fact.