Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
10%
21%
28%
20%
1- Worst
21%

Total votes: 143

olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by olzen »

So is Scott Page's mullet.

Doesn't make it less dated.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

scott page and his uber mullet of epic madness

i like AMLOR the songs which sound floydian the most IMO are Signs of Life, Yet Another Movie is a good song its eerie moody sets a good darky vibe very floydian. On The Turning Away is brillant some amazing solos from that tour, Sorrow is epic live that guitar tone on the 94 tour is epic.

Yes its dated and has bad production well so did every artist from 70's in the 80's

It's a very underrated album
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

olzen wrote:So is Scott Page's mullet.

Doesn't make it less dated.
It was sarcasm, fella. :roll:
azza wrote:It's a very underrated album
If it was possible I'd rate it under one. :twisted:
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

but your stuck in the past with your gilmour post waters hate boooooooring
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

azza200 wrote:but your stuck in the past with your gilmour post waters hate boooooooring
No, I'm not stuck in a past where I wasn't yet born. :roll:

In all fairness, I hate the Final Cut and most of the Wall just as much, so be assured I am not a Gilmour hater.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

fair enough :)
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

I think I already said enough about this album wouldn't you agree? :lol: oh Gilmour, why on God's green earth did you compose & release such an abomination so 80's that makes Johnny Hates Jazz look like Jean Michel Jarre? :-({|= (but at least he wised up with the division bell)
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

27 years ago today (yes, twenty seven)....happy anniversary !
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

I rate it a 3. After The Endless River I have been giving it some spins, and it is better then I remember. But still not that interesting, there is just something very bleak about it.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

Not a popular album but a personal favorite of mine. I think its a solid album that gets a bad rap partly because Waters is not included for the first time. Its not perfect as most Floyd albums arent and sure Dogs of War, One Slip, Learning to Fly may not be acceptable to some but I do hear the Floyd tone in Terminal Frost, Yet Another Movie and Signs of Life. All excellent songs.
Its not The Wall or Meddle, but it is another different era of the band. And like those, love it or leave it.
Ageless Stranger
Axe
Axe

Post by Ageless Stranger »

I was in a very deep, dark period of my life when this album came out. I find it hard to listen to without feeling like I am on the edge of a bad acid trip, which is a shame because there are some really great parts on this album
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

OBYKA wrote:Not a popular album but a personal favorite of mine. I think its a solid album that gets a bad rap partly because Waters is not included for the first time. Its not perfect as most Floyd albums arent and sure Dogs of War, One Slip, Learning to Fly may not be acceptable to some but I do hear the Floyd tone in Terminal Frost, Yet Another Movie and Signs of Life. All excellent songs.
Its not The Wall or Meddle, but it is another different era of the band. And like those, love it or leave it.
I think another reason for the bad rap is that its production (high-tech, "shiny" etc.) was such a departure from the stripped down feel of The Final Cut. To the die-hards that found themselves (consciously or unconsciously) in the pro-Waters camp after the split, this may have come across like DG/NM were trying too hard to pass something off as Floyd when it wasn't.

My take is that there's something to be said for effort. By this point, I don't think Waters gave a damn what his albums sounded like musically; he cared about his lyrics and what little melody he could cobble together and things like Q sound, barking dogs, overhead missiles, voices of real disc jockeys and announcers, and striking out against the Thatchers, Reagans and Bushes of the world, but was satisfied with flat instruments that never left the ground. FYI, I say this as a fan of TFC, KAOS and ATD (but NOT TPACOH).
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

I cannot stop listening to this album! You see I went five long years w/out any kind of player in my vehicle. Once I got my new (well new for me- it's used)car I grabbed all my DG & Floyd CDs. It finally hit me today why I'm loving AMLoR all over again. No disrespect to Mr. Gilmour & his choice of a lifemate but I think one of the best qualities of AMLoR is it is Polly Free. I'm just sorry I did not appreciate this album more when I got to see it live in 1987....
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

I realize my comment about AMLoR being "Polly Free" may offend some so I apologize profusely.
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

It's a coke album, innit?
It's got all the hallmarks - drenched in overfussy arrangements, thin brittle production, ideas randomly tacked together, too many session men for it to feel like a band. Seriously, some of the drum tracks sound like they were recorded six months after the guitar and vocals, giving it a clunky feel to the album, even on the better tunes.
Think also Be Here Now, Houses of the Holy, Presence, Never Say Die.....you know the rest....that's enough shite coke albums for now.