Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
27%
26%
20%
12%
1 - Worst
16%

Total votes: 141

HokiesCeltics
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Post by HokiesCeltics »

I just started listening to all the other Floyd albums besides Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall this summer. For me summer 2013 is the Summer Of Floyd. Anyway back on topic now, I started listening to The Final Cut about 2 weeks ago... and I'm hooked its dominated my Ipod since. I don't really have a reason why but I love it I gave it a 4. My favorite part has to be in "The Gunners Dream" when Roger screams "And Hold On To The Dream" while his voice disappears as the sax solo gets going. I am literally listening to The Final Cut as make my first post as a new member.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

HokiesCeltics wrote:I just started listening to all the other Floyd albums besides Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall this summer. For me summer 2013 is the Summer Of Floyd. Anyway back on topic now, I started listening to The Final Cut about 2 weeks ago... and I'm hooked its dominated my Ipod since. I don't really have a reason why but I love it I gave it a 4. My favorite part has to be in "The Gunners Dream" when Roger screams "And Hold On To The Dream" while his voice disappears as the sax solo gets going. I am literally listening to The Final Cut as make my first post as a new member.
Enjoy your Summer of Floyd !

Discovering the Floyd's back catalogue is a great journey & I would love to be able to experience those albums again for the first time !
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

HokiesCeltics wrote:I just started listening to all the other Floyd albums besides Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall this summer. For me summer 2013 is the Summer Of Floyd. Anyway back on topic now, I started listening to The Final Cut about 2 weeks ago... and I'm hooked its dominated my Ipod since. I don't really have a reason why but I love it I gave it a 4. My favorite part has to be in "The Gunners Dream" when Roger screams "And Hold On To The Dream" while his voice disappears as the sax solo gets going. I am literally listening to The Final Cut as make my first post as a new member.
That's seriously one of the best post I've seen here - well done :) [-D-]

Because:
1. the person is having the Summer of Floyd
2. the person loves TFCut
and
2a. shares the same thought about Roger's vocals on The Gunner's Dream as me.

A VERY HOT WELCOME, indeed. 8)
HokiesCeltics
Embryo
Embryo

Post by HokiesCeltics »

FreeFour wrote:
Enjoy your Summer of Floyd !

Discovering the Floyd's back catalogue is a great journey & I would love to be able to experience those albums again for the first time !
moom wrote: That's seriously one of the best post I've seen here - well done :) [-D-]

Because:
1. the person is having the Summer of Floyd
2. the person loves TFCut
and
2a. shares the same thought about Roger's vocals on The Gunner's Dream as me.

A VERY HOT WELCOME, indeed. 8)

Thank you kindly gentlemen for the warm welcome to the forum. I'm only down to a few album's left on my Summer Of Floyd, you guys could actually help me out with what I should listen to next and give me a good order in which to finish them. They are in order- More, Ummagumma studio, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle (I have heard One of These Days and Echos), and The Division Bell.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I'd recommend to follow your heart ;) Because suggestions from other people can often be a letdown. People might tell you, for example, Meddle is the best of those you're yet to hear. And I'd personally agree with them. However, you might like, say, Atom Heart Mother more for some reason.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

I think that 'The Final Cut' is one of the best Pink Floyd albums. And if it would be a Roger Waters solo album, I think it's his best.

For me 'The Final Cut' is where Roger Waters meets Barrett's 'The Madcap Laughs'. A similarity is the "mad me on the background", which Barrett introduces in 'Long Gone'.
DonConstantino
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DonConstantino »

This album is something else!

Very very moving lyrics from Waters,extreme passion spotted on his voice and all that, being accompanied by a very smooth piano play.Very human album to my opinion.

The Gunner's Dream,The Fletcher Memorial and The Final Cut are the songs that i adore.

Just listen to Water's scream when he says "His dream,is making me insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaneeeeee"and his scream continues on the background while Roger starts singing the following lyrics.

My god,what an inspiration!He really knew how to express his feelings there.

I think one reason Waters lost his great vocals was that Album :lol:

In my opinion , people's response to that album wasn't that great, because not too many were into war issues...or not too many people could value the importance of the lyrics and the whole concept.

I would like to add that this Album could be characterized as a solo work with a help from the others floyds.This is trully not how the rest of the floyds would want their songs to sound like.But can you blame Waters?Gilmour and Mason were lacking of inspiration at that time and Waters was full of ideas.The only thing that the two of could do is to express their opinions for the album.Doing a solo album when Floyd were commited to EMI ,was out of question for Waters,so here we are enjoying another album from Pink Floyd.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

rememberaday wrote:Pathetic album. I rated it a 3, only because it's better than The Pro's and Consand Amused to Death. Almost as shitty as AMLOR.

EDITED BY ADMIN - Do not attack other forum members, it is against the forum rules. Warning issued.
central122
Embryo
Embryo

Post by central122 »

Excellent production and lyrics, but poor musically. It is still a good album, but overshadowed by most of the other albums.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

Sorry if I seem very offensive but apart from Roger's bitching and moaning about his father being dead it's a pretty stellar album :) especially Your Possible Pasts and The Gunners Dream, Shame that Gilmour was too ignorant to see the album in it's full glory!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

thefinalcut wrote:
rememberaday wrote:Pathetic album. I rated it a 3, only because it's better than The Pro's and Consand Amused to Death. Almost as shitty as AMLOR.
Please get a Doctor soon! You might be deaf, you moron!
So does this warrant a ban like I got or does she still have free reign to display this sort of behaviour?

My take on the final cut? Great lyrically, poor musically, and the subject matter just gets a bit boring by the time we get to this album. Couple of brilliant Gilmour solo's on it though.
Alternate
Axe
Axe

Post by Alternate »

The 'Screaming' of Roger Waters annoys me everytime, Yes i call it screaming!

It's all about war and his father..It's a good topic to make music about but after years and years of doing the same it might be too much for some fans,including me.

I'm clearly a David Gilmour fan and i Always used to be that and i Always will.

1/5
Ageless Stranger
Axe
Axe

Post by Ageless Stranger »

This used to be my favourite Floyd album, up until the last few months where I find myself listening more and more to the Division Bell.

Still, this album has some amazing lyrics especially "Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes. I can barely define the shape of this moment in time"
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

There's more to say about this, but my immediate thoughts are: this is a deep and satisfying album. If there somehow was a person out there who had heard and liked Waters' solo stuff but not heard this, you'd immediately tell them about it, but I doubt that's possible.

I would like to keep my copy of The Final Cut, but also have access to an alternate universe where Waters didn't (as the story goes, and I'm not saying it's true, I'm just a fan) freeze out Gilmour's attempt at contributing, and instead of TFC we got a hybrid of what became TFC and what became About Face. I'm not the first to mention how the strengths of each complement the strengths of the other; it's just that since this supposedly happened, it's a very real (real in a hypothetical sense, if you take my meaning) "what might have been."
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

The best Waters solo album? Maybe. I still rate it a four. It flows nicely, and it does not go on to long. It has some very strong songs, and maybe some of Waters best satirical work.