rick wright album that never got finished will it be release

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Re: rick wright album that never got finished will it be rel

Post by Peter Harold »

greenfx wrote:Considering that the meat of Broken China was done in a few weeks, i'm guessing that the album was probably 20-30% complete.
No, Mr. Anthony Moore wrote to me that the work with "Broken China" took about 18 months.

Anyway, Mr Wright did had a different approach for the last project, with him making melodies from his piano and other stuff, but not just only by playing with/from the keyboard. He searched for the different sounds inside the instrument. It was also meant to be more analogue, with an old fashion approach for the studie work, as in the recordings of "Dark side of the moon" and "Household Objects". As I have been informed, Mr Wright never recorded and finished songs; it is all a couple - maybe three tracks - of musical ideas.

It is difficult to get the full image of what he did as nobody seems to have any good information about that. My guess is that Mr. Wright never made a serious effort for this last record (never-to-be) as it seems that he more enjoyed to work with Mr. Gilmour ("The Barn Jam"). He wished to make one more performance with the David Gilmour Band the year he died, but it never happend.

To me, the best we could have is the release of "The Barn Jam". I am not sure if that would happend, but we all know there were some good instrumentals composed there.

Best regards,
Peter
3Dasha
Axe
Axe

Post by 3Dasha »

Peter Harold wrote:To me, the best we could have is the release of "The Barn Jam". I am not sure if that would happend, but we all know there were some good instrumentals composed there.
3 Barn Jams were released on Live In Gdansk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP2uY9w-UBA
Or do you mean the whole sessions?
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

It could be that the reason that we have TER now is because Rick's unfinished album is not suitable for release. As in, when they looked for material from Rick that was unreleased, it was only the TDB stuff that was really suitable.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Annoying Twit wrote:It could be that the reason that we have TER now is because Rick's unfinished album is not suitable for release. As in, when they looked for material from Rick that was unreleased, it was only the TDB stuff that was really suitable.
Possibly.

I always had my doubts about how much unreleased material Rick had anyway. He struck me as the sort of guy who didn't produce much music under his own steam and needed someone to collaborate with him. He did only release two solo albums and from what I've read, had minimal input into Zee. Which, having heard the record, is no bad thing!
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

could swear I heard he had 3 or 4 songs mostly completed. and bits of some others.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Maybe. There used to be rumours but they might've just been that. Rumours. Sadly, I think the last "new" material we heard from Rick was what was on The Endless River :( Unless more of those aforementioned Barn Jams see the light of day.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Barn Jams would be awesome!!
ChillOnTheSun
Embryo
Embryo

Re: rick wright album that never got finished will it be release

Post by ChillOnTheSun »

I still hope that Mr. Gilmour with Richard´s children looked up for any recording of Rick himself, if there were any. And if there was any piece left, just 10-20 minutes of improvisation noodling on piano that they will release it sometime. All fans hope for it, because he deserve it. If there is no more of his music in any form, please let us know that we should no wait for it...that hoping or longing is the worst.
ChillOnTheSun
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ChillOnTheSun »

From Wrights interview in 2007: "I've got loads of stuff recorded."
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: rick wright album that never got finished will it be released

Post by twcc »

OFF TOPIC -
danielcaux wrote: Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 pm ...
A compilation of Nick Mason's solo material has as much chances of happening...
That happened in August 2018 ... only five years after your original post !!
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ChillOnTheSun wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:10 am From Wrights interview in 2007: "I've got loads of stuff recorded."
Yeah, and what was that interview where he said he kept his best songs for himself instead of bringing them to PF? I think it was on here, I can't remember... :?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

With the launch of a new official Rick Wright website, there is an interview with Dom Beken (now a member of Nick's band) about setting up Rick's home studio a few years before he died, and then being tasked by his family after Rick's death to gather and preserve everything he had recorded, going back to the early '80s. This required him to drive all over England to find a working Atari Midi Recorder, to be able to play some of Rick's old files! Nick had said that anything Rick came up with during the barn jams and sessions for Gilmour's albums would end up on a future Gilmour album rather than another Pink Floyd record (because there won't be any). But knowing that they now have access to everything he recorded, and the process they used for the Momentary Lapse remix which involved using the midi files of Rick's playing from that tour, I don't think they'd see any problem with assembling it in some way to release it.
Painmaster
Blade
Blade

Post by Painmaster »

Remember hearing he has 3 or 4 songs partially done. Also other little bits.