Richard Wright - Wet Dream

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
31%
27%
20%
15%
1 - Worst
7%

Total votes: 59

Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Richard Wright - Wet Dream

Post by Hudini »

They don't help the album much though.
stryder
Axe
Axe

Post by stryder »

I listened to this album for the first time today, and I have to say that I like what I heard. It's hardly a classic by any means, but there are some quite good tunes, and Rick's voice fits well with the theme of the songs. Also, perhaps a little too much use of synthesizer's for my liking but like I said, I quite like the album.
The Crazy Diamond
Blade
Blade

Post by The Crazy Diamond »

If you are into Floyd , and collect vinyls this album should be in your collection, classic Mr Wright lyrics , shame he did not produce more solo work.
Jacek
Axe
Axe

Post by Jacek »

The Crazy Diamond wrote:shame he did not produce more solo work.
Or that when one of the two future times he did, it was Zee - Identity...
The Crazy Diamond
Blade
Blade

Post by The Crazy Diamond »

Jacek wrote:
The Crazy Diamond wrote:shame he did not produce more solo work.
Or that when one of the two future times he did, it was Zee - Identity...
Or when he did it was as good as Wet Dream.....
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

The Crazy Diamond wrote:Or when he did it was as good as Wet Dream.....
Or bad, depending on how you look at it.
paul10
Embryo
Embryo

Post by paul10 »

Personally I think it’s a good album, on a par with Dave Gilmour’s first album, and much better than Roger Waters’ “Radio K.A.O.S.”album. Overall I think the songs are good, it’s well recorded and without too much clutter or use of sound effects. I would imagine the sound of this album would be totally alien to someone like R. Waters who relies so much on sound effects and impromptu crescendo’s. However I do think that some of the songs on Waters’ “Amused To Death” are better, but that might be because the musicians involved such as Jeff Beck, Geoff Whitehorn and Patrick Leonard just seem to be able to lift the songs. Snowy White is a fine guitarist and does justice to the album, although I’ve never forgiven him for fucking up the “Comfortably Numb” solo at Expo 92 when performing with Waters :roll:
Why is it that people seem concerned as to whether or not “Wet Dream” is a “concept album”?? What difference does it make? Should I enjoy it more if it is, or if it isn’t? From what I’ve heard the majority of albums recorded are made up of songs that are mostly about relationships, with the song writer usually being the central character, does that make them all “concept albums” maybe it does, so what’s the big deal?
RWW
Embryo
Embryo

Post by RWW »

Massed Gadgets wrote:
Hudini wrote:If it is a concept album then "Pink's Song" (the only really good song on the album) falls out of that concept.
I see the concept of the album as being about alienation, separation, loss and loneliness, with the sea used both as a metaphor and as a reality. At the time, Rick's marriage was crumbling, he was being alienated from his band, and he sought solace in sailing (and, well, drugs too). I think in this context, Pink's Song does fit the concept. Although presumed to be an ode to Syd, I think Wright was also comparing himself to Syd, as he descended into his own kind of madness and realized that he was likely to be forced out of the band. I think it's significant that most of the song is written in second person ("Sadly then you lost yourself, so you had to leave"), but then changes to first person ("I must go, be on my way. Let me go, I cannot stay.").
Why does everyone ALWAYS assume SYD all the time!!

As its been said Pinks Song is about a third person that lived with them who was also called Pink... and im sure I read somewhere he was a muscian at the time, and has NOTTHING to do with Syd...

I Rate Wet Dream 2nd, with Broken China Top, and identity 3rd...
jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

J Ed wrote:
Jacek wrote:the guitarist is Floyd & Roger touring sideman Snowy White, I think this is his only actual studio work with any of the Floyd
Actually, he also recorded a guitar solo on "Pigs on the Wing" during the ANIMALS sessions. Heavily bootlegged, this version has yet to appear on a Floyd release, but it did receive official release a couple of years a go, appearing on one of Snowy White's compilations (can't remember the title offhand).

Speaking of Mel Collins, he also joined Camel in the late 70s, although it was after they had lost their original magic (IMHO).
DrDark
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DrDark »

J Ed wrote:
Jacek wrote:the guitarist is Floyd & Roger touring sideman Snowy White, I think this is his only actual studio work with any of the Floyd

Actually, he also recorded a guitar solo on "Pigs on the Wing" during the ANIMALS sessions. Heavily bootlegged, this version has yet to appear on a Floyd release, but it did receive official release a couple of years a go, appearing on one of Snowy White's compilations (can't remember the title offhand).

Speaking of Mel Collins, he also joined Camel in the late 70s, although it was after they had lost their original magic (IMHO).
The album is called GOLDEN TOP.

Wet Dream is my favorite Rick Solo effort.
3Dasha
Axe
Axe

Post by 3Dasha »

RWW wrote:Why does everyone ALWAYS assume SYD all the time!!
Yes, any connection with Syd is actually denied in Wright's 1978 interview:
One legend about Rick Wright’s new LP which should be dispelled before it gains any more credence is the thought that his wife Juliette’s Pink’s Song is in anyway a comment on the band, despite such lines as
“I had to stay, I could not leave
Give me time so I can leave
Give me time so I can grieve
I must go, be on my way
Let me go, I cannot stay.. .”
Unfortunately for the Floydologists, Pink also happens to be the nickname of the friend who went to Greece with the Wrights as tutor for their two kids during the six months they were out of Britain and the song is about him. So now you know the answer (Have A Cigar) to the question: “By the way, which one’s Pink?”
http://kdarchive.wordpress.com/2013/02/ ... interview/

A question concerning Pink. In aforementioned interview he's presented as a teacher. But Dave Harris in 2008 Mojo special mentions Pink as someone who helps about the house. Were they 2 different people or was it multitasking?
pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd »

very pleasant
pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd »

very pleasant
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Meh. It has some okay songs, but it just does not do anything for me. So a weak 2 from me.
Johnny Feathers
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Johnny Feathers »

While it's hard for me to call this a "GOOD" album--I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone not already a Floyd or Wright fan--I find myself very drawn to Wright's work. Like, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, rather than criticize the way I might with Waters or Gilmour. It's something to do with his seemingly fragile personality, and his often over-looked status in the band. Thinking recently, as dramatic as the stories around Syd and Roger are, I would LOVE to hear what Wright was really like, or what was going on in his head through his career in the band. What inspired the songs on this album? Particularly "Pink's Song"--it's obviously inspired by something to do with the band, but what? That title would almost seem to tie into The Wall, with it's use of "Pink" as a character name. And the only line I've found of him describing the album, as getting him ready "for the next Floyd thing", when we all know what would happen during those sessions. It's all wonderfully mysterious. But yeah, I do enjoy this one.