Pink Floyd - A Collection Of Great Dance Songs

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
14%
27%
36%
No votes
1 - Worst
23%

Total votes: 22

Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - A Collection Of Great Dance Songs

Post by Hudini »

I don't know. Ask a linguist.
MadRabbit42
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MadRabbit42 »

snifferdog wrote:Has anyone here ever actually bought it?
I used to have a copy (it was a gift); IMHO, outside of the cover art, this album is the only not-necessary-to-own item in the Floyd's overall collection. The sound quality isn't horrible and the selection is OK, but aside the minor tweaks and alterations, it's a money-making ploy. It was a decent album for what I paid for it, though...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Perhaps as a good as a 45 minute greatest hits Pink Floyd album could be. Not great, but still this edit of Shine On is better than the one in Echoes. At least it makes more sense (a more compact regular pop-oriented version of the song) than that other botchered one that is neither here nor there.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

I sooo wanna burn this right now! :mad:

Seriously I'm not kidding, just 6 songs in total (my my have compilation standards improved since then) with one of them being a rehash of Money that sounds too identical to it's predecessor (a proper 80's version would've been interesting) and an "edit" (aka raped of its beauty and charms) of SOYCD that makes me want puke with disgust!

Compilations (with the rare exception of Echoes) should NEVER cross into Floyd territory at all!
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

It was around 1988 and I was in a bar in Cherbourg, France (hic)....they had a juke box and this was the only Floyd CD they had.....at the time I hadn't heard anything from the Animals album and put my Francs in and selected Sheep.....I asked the barman to crank it up! (In drunken English).....he didn't....I then sat down and for the first time I listened to Sheep.

In retrospect I think it's an album that no one from the record company downwards had much interest in. I am sure I read somewhere it was released as a contractual obligation.....brings back nice memories though.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

So...I've got a mint copy on disc. Slip cover and all. Is this out of print, too? Will this re-issued? What about that 2011 Remaster of Is There Anybody Out There? that's included in The Wall Immersion? I'd like to replace my current 2000 copy of it since a newer issue is out there...I just don't want to fork out $100+ to do so.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

TheFloydian1 wrote:So...I've got a mint copy on disc. Slip cover and all. Is this out of print, too? Will this re-issued? What about that 2011 Remaster of Is There Anybody Out There? that's included in The Wall Immersion? I'd like to replace my current 2000 copy of it since a newer issue is out there...I just don't want to fork out $100+ to do so.
Don't worry, ACOGDS isn't out of print! :)
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

The Machman wrote:
TheFloydian1 wrote:So...I've got a mint copy on disc. Slip cover and all. Is this out of print, too? Will this re-issued? What about that 2011 Remaster of Is There Anybody Out There? that's included in The Wall Immersion? I'd like to replace my current 2000 copy of it since a newer issue is out there...I just don't want to fork out $100+ to do so.
Don't worry, ACOGDS isn't out of print! :)
...Really? I'd assume so, as with all of EMI's Floyd releases, as the Floyd are no longer with them.

Where do you go to find out if such releases like this are OOP?
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

Try retail sites like amazon or music sites like RYM or discogs.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ebay will surely have it on there as well as amazon
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

FreeFour wrote: In retrospect I think it's an album that no one from the record company downwards had much interest in. I am sure I read somewhere it was released as a contractual obligation.....brings back nice memories though.
That explains everything
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Everyone hates this compilation, but to me it brings back fond memories. A Collection Of Great Dance Songs was my introduction to the Pink Floyd. The day after the party at a friend’s house where I first heard Shine On You Crazy Diamond and fell in love with it, I went to the nearest music store to buy anything with Pink Floyd moniker on it. I had no idea about Pink Floyd or their discography at all. I remember, I came across some section with LPs - 70's Rock and started searching. After a few minutes I spotted the name Pink Floyd and this LP. I bought the LP and went straight to home to listen it. The names of the songs on the LP's cover didn't tell me anything at all. My expectation was that each of the songs would be roughly like SOYCD. So, I was very surprised when One Of These Days started with its energy. Listening to OOTD my first reaction was that I heard that music as a background music in lot of different documentaries on the TV. When it was time for ABITW (pt.2) I recognized that song from my childhood. A Collection Of Great Dance Songs will allways have a special place in my Pink Floyd life.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I don't hate the compilation. I just keep forgetting it actually exists. Threads like this remind me, and I'll have forgotten about it in a couple of weeks.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I also don't hate this compilation. I do remember hearing "Sheep" on the stereo at my friends' house, and pointing out to them that the tremolo effect on the Fender Rhodes piano wasn't panning back and forth like it should, and asking what the hell version is this? Of course we then had to put on the original album to settle this, and we were all a little less impressed with this particular Collection from then on. But it has a number of other subtle differences that make it interesting, as well the not-at-all-subtle re-recording of "Money"; the fact that Gilmour played everything except the sax and drums himself, between recording The Wall (and The Unknown Soldier) and The Final Cut, is fascinating, since he clearly studied everything they did on the original, while Nick's overdubbed drumming shows that he didn't - is his playing closer to the live versions from '77, or to stuff he did on The Wall? I've never sat down and compared that.