The Making of Wish You Were Here coming to DVD & Blu-Ray

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Making of Wish You Were Here coming to DVD & Blu-Ray

Post by kjek1 »

Can't believe I hadn't seen this.

Its a real rarity for me to miss a Floyd doc, let alone not even know it existed!

I enjoyed it. I love those little demo's Waters and Gilmour give on guitar.
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

I thought the programme on BBC4 last night was disappointing. Clearly aimed at the layman, it didn't tell us really anything new. It wasn't even very focused on the making of the album anyway. As I expected, it spent a lot of time on Syd and 'Shine On' (which of course numerous Floyd documentaries have already covered).

Gerald Scarfe had nothing to do with the album, he was involved in live show animation. Engineer Brian Humphries didn't have much to say and couldn't recognize the sound of Rick's Mini Moog. Much more could've been said about the 'Household Objects' project and use of the wine glasses; Nick's inability to drum; the change of tape speed to accommodate Roger reaching high notes; more detail on how 'Welcome to the Machine' was put together and the fascinating bridge section between 'Have a Cigar' and the title track. Hopefully the full DVD version addresses some of these issues.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Peter Beasley wrote:I thought the programme on BBC4 last night was disappointing. Clearly aimed at the layman, it didn't tell us really anything new. It wasn't even very focused on the making of the album anyway. As I expected, it spent a lot of time on Syd and 'Shine On' (which of course numerous Floyd documentaries have already covered).

Gerald Scarfe had nothing to do with the album, he was involved in live show animation. Engineer Brian Humphries didn't have much to say and couldn't recognize the sound of Rick's Mini Moog. Much more could've been said about the 'Household Objects' project and use of the wine glasses; Nick's inability to drum; the change of tape speed to accommodate Roger reaching high notes; more detail on how 'Welcome to the Machine' was put together and the fascinating bridge section between 'Have a Cigar' and the title track. Hopefully the full DVD version addresses some of these issues.
You have to accept that.

I've read, listened to, and watched so much material about Floyd in my 26 years I hardly ever find anything out that I don't already know.

It would be a much more interesting programme for those who aren't Floyd crazy like ourselves.
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

kjek1 wrote:I've read, listened to, and watched so much material about Floyd in my 26 years I hardly ever find anything out that I don't already know.
Aye, Imagine what it's like for me after following non-stop since 1971.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

How respectfully did they trample all over Syd's legacy?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

One I would say is Waters need to learn to give credit to other band members.

He'll briefly mention their input to the music but then elaborate imply it was his genius that really made it work if you know what I mean.

I thought his comments about Harper on 'Have a Cigar' were strange too. Harper did a great job, unless Waters voice was going to change over night I'm not sure how he'd have improved on his previous efforts!
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I enjoyed the Doc, it was nice to see/hear talk about some other things, like it was good to hear from Roy Harper about Have a Cigar, also to hear from Vanetta Fields about the female backing singers. And good to hear them talking about Have a Cigar and Welcome to The Machine, as those songs often get over looked because of Shine On and Wish You Were Here.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think this was on BBC4 last night. Anybody watch it?