TAPFS poor effort

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
thewall
Embryo
Embryo

TAPFS poor effort

Post by thewall »

Just seen TAPFS at Nottingham this is the 5th time i have seen them,but the first time since the split,very poor show the singing was very poor,for sure they packed the numbers in but you could tell they were rushing through the songs,and as for the girls trying to sing Great Gig think they should of left it out,also nobody introduced the band or even said hello all we got was "theres going to be a break now,and thank you its been great".
I waited a long time for this and spent a lot of money,won't be going again :( :( :( :(
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: TAPFS poor effort

Post by moom »

Shit happens even to the best. So maybe next time will be better.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Last time I went to see TAPFS was about 3 years ago I thought the gig was fairly average until Guy Pratt got up on stage to play the encore Run Like Hell. All was forgiven ! (even the natty 3D glasses we had to wear for the second half)

My main gripe with TAPFS and Brit Floyd is the set lists. I wish they would stray further from the standard platter of Dark Side,The Wall & WYWH. Don't get me wrong it's always great to hear them but it's a set list we're all very familiar with. I would imagine 80%+ of the audiences are fairly hardcore Floyd fans and a large majority would enjoy a more diverse set list of songs rarely played live.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

FreeFour wrote:Last time I went to see TAPFS was about 3 years ago I thought the gig was fairly average until Guy Pratt got up on stage to play the encore Run Like Hell. All was forgiven ! (even the natty 3D glasses we had to wear for the second half)

My main gripe with TAPFS and Brit Floyd is the set lists. I wish they would stray further from the standard platter of Dark Side,The Wall & WYWH. Don't get me wrong it's always great to hear them but it's a set list we're all very familiar with. I would imagine 80%+ of the audiences are fairly hardcore Floyd fans and a large majority would enjoy a more diverse set list of songs rarely played live.
Constructing a set list for a tribute band show is headache to say the least. There's a tension between including songs you believe the audience is going to expect and serving the needs of the "hardcore" who may not make up the majority of the audience at any given show but tend to be the most loyal/repeat customers (assuming you can deliver for them). When we played a nationally broadcast US TV show last August, the producers strongly "encouraged" (i.e., dictated) that every song in the hour long set be a "hit." That, essentially, gave us tracks from Dark Side and The Wall with the song Wish You Were Here thrown in. We were given a one song "non-broadcast" encore and we did Set the Controls as a "gift" to our fans who came to the show only to endure our 350th rendition of ABITW, Money etc. We are talking about doing an "obscurities" show "by invitation only" where the setlist will be "big 4 free" (unless we do Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy). The concept is that if we get enough interest from "hardcores" we don't have to worry about aiming our setlist for that show to the mainstream. But the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak -- if the hardcores can't generate enough interest then we will not be able to do this show. This tension is also shown in our studio recording "Just the Basic Facts" - it's 12 "hits" and Embryo!
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

In other words, tribute bands are all about making money and nothing about making music. Obviously.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

Kerry King wrote:In other words, tribute bands are all about making money and nothing about making music. Obviously.
You would be correct only if the bands hated playing the hits. But most of the musicians in Pink Floyd tributes that I know (and I'd wager that I know a few more than you do) are in these bands for pure love of Pink Floyd which means that they love the hits and the rarities. So the fact remains that constructing a set list is about balancing the preferences of both the hardcore and casual fan. Fortunately this can be done without having to play Daydream Believer or some other rot.
Not Syd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Not Syd »

Its a shame OP disagree's, but i know where he is coming from for expectations.

You cant please everyone though.

I saw TAPFS this year round at Glasgow Hydro ... a first for them and many bands ... its a brand new Arena. and as a vet i think it worked well.

OP, for a "While" I thought you were trolling?

I think there are plenty episodes wear Floyd fans like us get jaded and need a good break, but it all good fun.

I started out in very very Early TAPS fasion.

Love this band (met em too) I love Pink Floyd.
Not Syd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Not Syd »

Kerry King wrote:In other words, tribute bands are all about making money and nothing about making music. Obviously.
Thats a bit harsh and is probably more true of Gilmour in latter days than sincere Floyd tribute bands these days, apart from TAPS I cant imagine many making a living out of it, not that Gilmour does not deserve it of course, heard he's very charitable too.

Going back to the OP ... I've seen TAPS 5 times now too or was it 6? but before this years Glasgow show it was a 6 year gap and I was really jaded back then, I'd done the whole Pink Floyd thing to saturation and almost sickened myself of the music ... if that's possible? Did buy the DSOTM SACD in that gap but honestly hardly played them in that period ... and you know what? I think that gap was a good thing, I've come back to the music with fresh ears and eyes again, took my nephew along this time who was not even born when I saw the real Pink Floyd live and glancing around at the crowd at the Glasgow show it was obvious from the age groups that the music is timeless and appreciated by all.

TAPS played a blinder at Glasgow IMHO, maybe they had an off night at Nottingham? every band has bad days ... Id give them a break for a while if I were you as I did, because you sound like a real PF fan that just had too high expectations possibly?

I dont think they have ever been vocal between songs in the chat way other bands are, but neither were Pink Floyd too, Roger maybe.

Right now I cant wait for a TAPS UK tour again next year and will buy better seated tickets this time ... my Floydian batteries are re-charged for a long time now 8)
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Not Syd wrote:Thats a bit harsh and is probably more true of Gilmour in latter days than sincere Floyd tribute bands these days
Gilmour but not Waters? Waters has released less original material than Gilmour in the last 15 years.

But at least Gilmour and Waters milk their own material.

Sincere? If they are so sincere why do they put out a studio album of floyd covers? Floyd already got it right. Are these tribute hacks going to improve it? If they are so sincere they should write some original material and perform it.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

A tribute band worth seeing? Brit Floyd.
Not Syd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Not Syd »

Kerry King wrote:
Not Syd wrote:Thats a bit harsh and is probably more true of Gilmour in latter days than sincere Floyd tribute bands these days
Gilmour but not Waters? Waters has released less original material than Gilmour in the last 15 years.

But at least Gilmour and Waters milk their own material.

Sincere? If they are so sincere why do they put out a studio album of floyd covers? Floyd already got it right. Are these tribute hacks going to improve it? If they are so sincere they should write some original material and perform it.
I hear what you say, but there is still room for tribute bands, especially tribute bands that perform while the original is hardly likely to ever again, in the case of Pink Floyd where the music truly is timeless these bands give a glimpse to a new generation of what the band sounded like live and as in the Aussie Floyd, what they looked like playing live too, never have understood tribute bands that still tour, as in Iron Maiden tribute bands ETC.

Nobody has to buy tribute band albums of covers ... did they really do that? I know they do live shows on DVD and Blu Ray, nobody has to buy them though, just the same as nobody has to buy T-shirts at shows. I don't be-grudge anyone making money.

Make no mistake about it, Aussie Floyd have grown from their beginnings and took the gamble to invest in a bigger stage show and that seems to have paid off for them, so fair play, also I did not see one disappointed fan at the Glasgow show, in the intermission at the bar I overheard several conversations and all were good and involved young and old too.

Having said all that I understand how you can saturate yourself with this stuff, I'd seen them live 4 or 5 times before each year on the trot and then got fed up, easily a 7 year gap later and it was all refreshing again and I'm definitely up for seeing them again next year now.

Each to their own.
usandfloyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by usandfloyd »

W1P wrote:
FreeFour wrote:Last time I went to see TAPFS was about 3 years ago I thought the gig was fairly average until Guy Pratt got up on stage to play the encore Run Like Hell. All was forgiven ! (even the natty 3D glasses we had to wear for the second half)

Constructing a set list for a tribute band show is headache to say the least. There's a tension between including songs you believe the audience is going to expect and serving the needs of the "hardcore" who may not make up the majority of the audience at any given show but tend to be the most loyal/repeat customers (assuming you can deliver for them). When we played a nationally broadcast US TV show last August, the producers strongly "encouraged" (i.e., dictated) that every song in the hour long set be a "hit." That, essentially, gave us tracks from Dark Side and The Wall with the song Wish You Were Here thrown in. We were given a one song "non-broadcast" encore and we did Set the Controls as a "gift" to our fans who came to the show only to endure our 350th rendition of ABITW, Money etc. We are talking about doing an "obscurities" show "by invitation only" where the setlist will be "big 4 free" (unless we do Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy). The concept is that if we get enough interest from "hardcores" we don't have to worry about aiming our setlist for that show to the mainstream. But the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak -- if the hardcores can't generate enough interest then we will not be able to do this show. This tension is also shown in our studio recording "Just the Basic Facts" - it's 12 "hits" and Embryo!
Agreed it's very difficult to balance the different eras of Floyd music to keep everyone happy. Our experience is the majority of fans at our shows would say they are die hard Floyd fans, but mostly only know the DSOM to Wall. There's a small percentage of pre-DSOM fans and a small percentage of post-Wall era fans. So playing the hits and sprinkling in just enough old and new Floyd seems to do the trick.

Seems Brit and Aussie Floyd are following that strategy...

IMO Brit Floyd is the better of the 2 after the split.
Not Syd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Not Syd »

Can somebody please define this Split that is being talked about please?

Aussie Floyd, real Pink Floyd or the age old Gilmour Waters split?

Why worry?
Not Syd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Not Syd »

Actually, just did a bit of research on Brit Floyd and I'm quite impressed.

Damien Darlington is with them now and used to be in the Aussie Floyd, I might have mentioned I've met the Aussie Floyd a couple of times in the early days and definitely remember talking to Damien, he came across as quite arrogant and passed me off to one of the real Aussies to chat to me who were really warm and answered all my questions ... but maybe that was the rot setting in or Damien was having a bad day? For sure he's a great guitarist and if anything I prefer his Comfortably Numb solo to Steve's ... I still think Gilmour's evolution of that solo on the PULSE tour is the best though.

I see Brit Floyd are using big stage effects too now inc giant inflatable pig, wonder if its the same one (hired) that Aussie Floyd are using just now or the two bands have an arrangement? Brit Floyd's next tour starts later on in the year ... but as I'm Floydian re-born again I'll go see Brit Floyd in Aberdeen near me in December too, looking forward to it already.