Roger Waters - Live In Berlin 1990

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
10%
12%
22%
31%
1 - Rate this
24%

Total votes: 49

pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Re: Roger Waters - Live In Berlin 1990

Post by pinkfloyd »

very very bad ](*,)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

admiral panther wrote:i just got a copy of this for the 2nd time and am wondering if were going to get a dvd from the wall tours. alls i have to do is watch as many times as roger performs it, in other words i want to watch it alot. right now if it doesnt come anytime soon it is the wall in berlin for me.

There are plenty of good fan edit bootlegs from the last tour which make this show rather redundant to watch as it is horrendus and off the scale BAD.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I really like it, its a different approach on The Wall.

You gotta love One of my Turns/Don't Leave Me Now, I wish he would've done that on his recent tour! Also the dictator trilogy are brilliant, very theatrical.

One thing I do wish he would've done was add The Show Must Go On, shame it was missed out both in this concert and in the movie, I think its a great short song!
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

2/5

I bought it on its original release and listened to it a lot. At the time I quite liked it and it got a lot of airplay from the in car CD......there are a few nice moments but I think overall (& others have already pointed this out) it lacks any form of intimacy and the whole Van Morrison Comfortably Numb thing is just awful.

I gave it 2/5 really just for Nobody Home & Hey You.

Fortunately for RW (& us) he totally redeemed himself with the album he released a couple of years later.
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Compared to being there this sounds good, so enjoy it out of sentimental and nostalgic reasons. It also has a couple of nice versions. So a weak 3 from me.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

(from a different thread, but figured I'd put it in the proper place)
space triangle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 pmYeah, you are right Snowy White played the lead guitar.

And, also don't forget the biggiest show of all time 'Roger Waters - Berlin 1990'. A plentiy of most famous guests artist at that time were there. Snowy played lead guitar in Berlin as well.
Also, your "biggest show of all time" really confused me, because I'd never heard that. It does appear to be the largest ticketed single show, excluding festivals and free concerts...but even though there are many websites that list and rank these sort of things, and go to the trouble of making those distinctions, The Wall Live in Berlin is never mentioned! I also didn't know that it never sold enough recordings of it to donate anything to the charity, and that the charity actually lost money and folded, giving the rights back to Roger to slowly make back his own investment over the next ten or twenty years; Gilmour actually mentioned this in the same infamous article where he claimed to play most of the bass parts on their albums:

DG: ...Because he is a megalomaniac. He really is.
His thirst for power is more important than anything else - more important than honesty, that's for certain.

MR: But he donated a lot of money to charity. And one symptom of megalomania is all-possessing greed.

DG: Well, yeah. What money did he donate to charity?

MR: The Berlin Wall proceeds.

DG: You think that donated a lot of money to charity?

MR: Certainly the TV rights, and the record sales, which were respectable, brought it in. It was a mammoth thing.

DG: It was a mammoth thing from what I understand. And from what I understand, the costs of putting it on were absolutely enormous, and the receipts in were nothing like enormous, and the record didn't sell terribly well. TV rights were sold at the very last minute for very low money, because TV rights are not very easy to sell, I can tell you. There's lots of stories about people not having been paid. Sorry, I don't want to get too heavily into that, but I suspect that the motivation for putting the Wall show on in Berlin was not charitable. I don't think that was Roger's motivation at all.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

I'll say this...

When it comes to family quarrels, they're all lying.

When it comes to Dave, I believe that he wants to be viewed as an artist in his own right rather than Roger's sideman which causes him to view the world differently than Roger.

But...I'd make the case that Dave's work never surpassed any of Roger's work...save one instance.

On An Island > Radio KAOS.

I think that irks Dave...and playing Roger's songs in concert irks him.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

On an Island might = Amused to Death it’s an insult comparing it to Radio Kaos.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Gslatner wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:17 am On an Island might = Amused to Death it’s an insult comparing it to Radio Kaos.
1. On An Island is amazing, but it's only got one thing Amused doesn't, proper editing. Take out two songs and Amused to Death is a proper masterpiece. On An Island is a great record, for Dave, and a great meditative LP.

On an Island isn't better than: The Wall, The Final Cut, Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Amused To Death, or Is This The Life We Really Want.

2. On An Island and Radio KAOS were both the their solo albums released by the respective players. :)