The Final Cut EP video

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
17%
28%
33%
11%
1 - Worst
11%

Total votes: 18

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Final Cut EP video

Post by drafsack »

This thread is to discuss Pink Floyd – The Final Cut EP video

Feel free to discuss this video

Basic track listing

The Gunner's Dream
The Final Cut'
Not Now John
The Fletcher Memorial Home
mosespa

Re: The Final Cut EP video

Post by mosespa »

I think that this, like the KAOS video, was just something thrown together maybe a little too quickly in order to capitalize on whatever anticipation there may have been surrounding a new release.

Whatever story each album may have is too large for half-an-hour's worth (if that) of music video to really convey. However, I'm a fan of the idea of music video and long-form music video, so it's better than nothing, in my view.

The production values seem like they could be a little better. The film stock just looks cheap somehow.

I know that Roger said he really wanted a bloody "Sam Peckinpah" type of climax for Fletcher...but that would have taken the entire budget that they had to work with. Which tells me that they must not have had a lot to work with...and I feel it kind of shows.

But...it's still better than nothing.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

These things were all the rage back then and was the only way you could get hold of the videos you saw on the telly. It is low budget and i love the bit of Roger singing with only his mouth visable
pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd »

music is good but the video is rubbish
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I quite like it, give it a 4, but I think the concept is a bit loose, unlike in The Wall film.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Pink Floyd went broke and then lost a lot of money with the 1980-1981 The Wall shows... and you can definitely tell that just by looking at this video! No wonder why Waters thought the Floyd was over! :D
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

erm Roger sacked Rick David and Nick hardly played on the album because Roger thought he was more important then the band Roger was in full ego and control freak mode at the time So trying to pass the blame on to David and Nick is pointless
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

azza200 wrote:erm Roger sacked Rick David and Nick hardly played on the album because Roger thought he was more important then the band Roger was in full ego and control freak mode at the time So trying to pass the blame on to David and Nick is pointless
you're right, it's probably Syd's fault <ii>
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Again, not like The Wall. The Wall is a film, shot on 35 mm. This is a promo, before music videos was big. It has its fault, shot on video and sadly missing the rest of the band. But I enjoy it, have great memories from it and still got my old tape that I got from England. Rated 4 from me.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

If you search out the twin disc 'Russian' version 4607147909492 you can get hold of the 13-track 'The Final Cut' album (complete with 'When The Tigers Broke Free' included) and an accompanying DVD which includes all four of the tracks from the VHS tape.

The full track listing is as follows -

CD1-01 The Post War Dream
CD1-02 Your Possible Pasts
CD1-03 One Of The Few
CD1-04 When The Tigers Broke Free
CD1-05 The Hero's Return
CD1-06 The Gunner's Dream
CD1-07 Paranoid Eyes
CD1-08 Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
CD1-09 The Fletcher Memorial Home
CD1-10 Southampton Dock
CD1-11 The Final Cut
CD1-12 Not Now John
CD1-13 Two Suns In The Sunset

DVD2-01 The Gunners Dream
DVD2-02 The Final Cut
DVD2-03 Not Now John
DVD2-04 The Fletcher Memorial Home
DVD2-05 Southampton Dock (live)
DVD2-06 The Fletcher Memorial Home (live)
DVD2-07 The final word (Dave and Nick interview) ... not listed on the sleeve

:)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

twcc wrote: DVD2-07 The final word (Dave and Nick interview) ... not listed on the sleeve

:)
Is this on You Tube or Daily Motion anywhere?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Not to my knowledge, anyway it is short and sweet (as you would expect from a bit of a unlisted 'Easter egg'), here's a transcript -

Recorded on 'Astoria'

DG: It was torture to make. We really weren't getting on at all well. I felt that Roger was resurrecting tracks that we'd not accepted for The Wall album and I did say to him "They weren't good enough then, why are they good enough now?". It got so difficult that Roger wanted me not to have a say in what was going on the production side of the album so after a lot of arguing and humming and haring and soul searching I agreed to come off the production credits.

NM: It was dreadful really, it was dreadful. It was not the way a band should make records and I think we all thought that. Roger certainly thought it as he left the band shortly afterwards.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

^

Thanks for the transcript! Reading and realising I've heard this before as it was part of a BBC documentary (I've got on VHS taped off the TV somewhere!) of both Dave and Nick talking about the album!

Thanks again!
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:47 am I think that this, like the KAOS video, was just something thrown together maybe a little too quickly in order to capitalize on whatever anticipation there may have been surrounding a new release.
mosespa wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:47 am I know that Roger said he really wanted a bloody "Sam Peckinpah" type of climax for Fletcher...but that would have taken the entire budget that they had to work with. Which tells me that they must not have had a lot to work with...and I feel it kind of shows.
I would think Roger intended another feature-length film for The Final Cut - I mean, he had wanted to play Pink himself in The Wall but no one would let him, so I'm sure he still had a lot of those aspirations. Same with the Pros and Cons film - he was seeing every project as an album, a stage show, and a film. I think his biggest hurdle was that the remaining members of Pink Floyd would've had to agree to a bigger budget; The Wall had done well when it was released, so they went all in on the tour and the film, but The Final Cut did much worse than anyone anticipated, so they pulled the plug.