Pink Floyd - Works

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
4%
22%
61%
9%
1 - Worst
4%

Total votes: 23

NUMBER61
Axe
Axe

Re: Pink Floyd - Works

Post by NUMBER61 »

brain damage/eclipse is the quad mix,

although in this case it's presented in stereo.
shoutinyoursleep
Axe
Axe

Post by shoutinyoursleep »

I remember reading in the Miles Visual Documentary book about a version of Embryo that was handed to the folk at Harvest for a compilation album, the album was called Picnic: A Breath of Fresh Air, as well as Floyd there was the Syd Barrett track Octopus from the Madcap album, Kevin Ayers, Edgar Broughton, Roy Harper and others. Anyway it turns out that the version of Embryo was an unfinished demo tape and when the Floyd found out they had the album withdrawn. The following day I was browsing albums at a market in Glasgow and there was Picnic, delighted I was and bought it, Its still still in my collection somewhere in Leitrim. Having heard the Works version the track is identical, it would be nice if there were out-takes of Embryo with the drum and guitar parts added, although the BBC Paris Theatre version from 1970 would what I would call a complete version.
central122
Embryo
Embryo

Post by central122 »

The album is only remarkable by "Embryo". But i desliked this version, so i desliked the album!
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

It is what it is, but 4 from me since it has Embryo.
jmoog
Embryo
Embryo

Post by jmoog »

I LOVE this version of Embryo. So haunting and beautiful. This version of Embryo is in my top 5 Floyd songs easily.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

All just my opinion, so...

Embryo is proof that the cutting floor exists for a reason.

Works is proof that compilation albums are a bit like a plate of leftovers - it matters who is doing the cooking (in this case, PF's ex-record company), and while some leftovers hit the spot (Porcupine Tree's Recordings comes to mind), some are basically only good for the dog.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I remember buying this album just for the studio version of 'Embryo'. It was overpriced and even if it was half its price it still wouldn't really be worth it. I ripped that one song and gave the CD away.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Hudini wrote:I remember buying this album just for the studio version of 'Embryo'. It was overpriced and even if it was half its price it still wouldn't really be worth it. I ripped that one song and gave the CD away.
The CD 'Works' is also unique for apparently having an unedited CD release of 'Set the Control For the Heart of the Sun'.
On all other CD releases it's mysteriously edited. :shock:

See topic:
"Saucerful" on CD - defective??
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21329
danielcaux, Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:08 pm
viewtopic.php?p=598171#p598171
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I remember the discussion, but I don't really remember noticing the absence of the cut in the song. Funny, because I do remember 'Brain Damage' and 'Eclipse' being mixed differently than the originals. But I'm certain I listened to 'Embryo' most of the time and usually skipped the rest.