Pink Floyd - Animals

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
63%
26%
6%
1%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 167

olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by olzen »

One should never rule out Roger Waters taking a shot at Margaret Thatcher, at the very least!

"Animals" is one of my favourites. The three core tracks are all brilliant. The ending of "Sheep" still gives me goosebumps pretty much every time I listen to it. The more guitar-centric (or punk, if you must) sound suited the band very well, after indulging in lush synth textures on "Wish You Were Here". Another important strength is that the animal metaphores hold up well in today's society, maybe apart from the Whitehouse name-dropping on "Pigs (Three Different Ones)".

This album gets a well-deserved fiver, and the person that decided this album would not get an Immersion edition can have a well-deserved slap in the face.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

I like 'Animals', but I think the drums in especially 'Sheep' sound like cardboard boxes.
That recording, including Water's vocals, sounds a bit low fidelity to me.
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Rated it five, and for me one of their best. An album that just grows on me, and that I keep coming back too. As close as Floyd would ever get to punk!
vgonis
Embryo
Embryo

Post by vgonis »

One of my favorite albums, although it is probably the wrong decade to rate it. I have so over played all PF albums that I can't listen to them often. All but Animals. Go figure!
By the way, the other day I was reading Mojo that has the special article about Animals covers and apart the well known rejected one (child watching his parents in bed) they also described another one with three dead ducks nailed. And that rang a bell. I searched and found it. It has become the cover of a Drag city collection in the 90ies!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

I think this album needs a few listens before you can truly appreciate it. It goes in a totally different direction after Meddle/DSOTM/ WYWH after takes some time to sink in.
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe
Location: Marooned On An Island. Take a guess which one it is.

Post by TheEndlessWaters »

My favorite PF album.
Seriously, the organ intro to Pigs (Three Different Ones) sends chills down my spine every time it plays.
But I think my favorite song has to be Dogs.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Pink Floyd and LEGO Fabuland:
source: https://www.pinterest.com/gunivera/pink-floyd/
vgonis
Embryo
Embryo

Post by vgonis »

Nice lego representation!

I heard Animals will get the remastered box with marbles and scarf edition. Can't wait since it is my favorite album!

Maybe we will get to see some missing demos that really worth repeated listens.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

vgonis wrote:Nice lego representation!

I heard Animals will get the remastered box with marbles and scarf edition. Can't wait since it is my favorite album!

Maybe we will get to see some missing demos that really worth repeated listens.
Link please?
vgonis
Embryo
Embryo

Post by vgonis »

Nothing definite, I'm afraid. Only bits and pieces creating a nice rumour, like this one here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... l-releases. There is material (3 different mixes) plus lots of live material from the era. No unreleased songs, but demos with the different lyrics exist.

Having said that I found quite odd the release at the DSOTM experience and box editions, of the pre-animals live recordings. So maybe it was not in their plans but who knows. After all it is only a matter of money. If they believe it will be consumed by many fans, it will be released.

And how about the demos of "the pros and cons". Can't wait for them either!
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's an article from 2012 and a lot of water went under the bridge since then - for better or for worse. We always have to take what Nick says about releases, re-releases and reunions with a pinch of salt. He apparently lives in hope and he's ready to go ahead with mostly everything that we, the hardcore fans, want but it's not really down on him.
vgonis
Embryo
Embryo

Post by vgonis »

We should be glad we got Endless river and a new DG solo record! Animals can wait, I guess.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Great album, the last album that was really to my taste. The Wall is fantastic but musically I'm not hugely keen on much of it.

I love the concept, the lyrics, love Dave's aggressive guitar toners and playing and love Rick's organ work.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

kjek1 wrote:Great album, the last album that was really to my taste. The Wall is fantastic but musically I'm not hugely keen on much of it.

I love the concept, the lyrics, love Dave's aggressive guitar toners and playing and love Rick's organ work.
I also prefer Animals to The Wall. And both are far superior to The Final Cut.
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

Great album. I like that it was just the four of them, after a couple of albums of guest players and singers. And that it sounds completely different to anything they had done before. With the songs being a few years old and well road-tested, the band really cooks. Compare to how clunky and leaden the Wall tracks are with their fake live effects..
It's much heavier rock in places but there is still plenty of their trademark atmosphere. The "dragged down by the stone" bit really does sound underwater as if you're drowning in it. Rick's intro to Sheep is so cool 8) . The instrumental between the second verse and the Psalm 23 is one of their best jams on record, and they really blaze away on the outro. Dave builds up a veritable guitar orchestra on Dogs and gets a wicked talkbox tone on Pigs.
Gonna have to listen to it now!