"In The News" Discussion Thread

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: "In The News" Discussion Thread

Post by danielcaux »

Keith Jordan wrote:In the UK the oil companies and retailers don't make that much relative to the duty and VAT taken by the thieving government to fund the lives of the non-workers.
Sounds about right to me, oil should belong to the majority of the people and the profits should go back to them, don't you think? Should the goverment allow companies to make millions out of appropriating water sources and then sell the precious liquid to the rest of us at exorbitant prices?

In my opinion natural resources must belong to the majority of the people and not just to some lucky greedy few.

Remember, the goverment is US. The companies only work for their own private gain.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Has anyone been following the news story about the horse meat that has shown up in Tesco burgers? Aside from spawning no end of horse related jokes, it does perhaps raise the issue of just what sort of godawful junk goes into those burgers. I for one would much rather eat horse than some of the glorious gristle that goes into them :D

nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Maybe not as bad as Pink Slime in the USA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime

A little bit from the link:

The product is used as a filler or to reduce the overall fat content of ground beef.[12][13] It is produced by processing low-grade beef trimmings and other meat by-products such as cartilage, connective tissue and sinew,[14][15] which contain fat and small amounts of lean beef, and mechanically separating the lean beef from the fat through the use of a centrifuge heated to approximately 100°F (38°C).[16][dead link] The heating process liquefies the fat and facilitates the separation of lean beef from the fat[16][dead link] and other meat by-products.[17] The recovered beef material is then processed, heated, and treated with gaseous ammonia[1] or citric acid to kill E. coli, salmonella, and other bacteria. When gaseous ammonia is used, after coming in contact with water in the meat, it forms into ammonium hydroxide.[1] The product is finely ground, compressed into pellets[18] or blocks, flash frozen and then shipped for use as an additive.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

That's pretty disturbing <.8.> (I read the whole Wikipedia article). I kind of knew that these things went into meat but it's worse than I thought.

What has been exercising the minds of politicians etc. over here is how the horse meat found its way into the burgers in the first place despite talk about traceability of meat, labelling etc.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

snifferdog wrote:Has anyone been following the news story about the horse meat that has shown up in Tesco burgers? Aside from spawning no end of horse related jokes, it does perhaps raise the issue of just what sort of godawful junk goes into those burgers. I for one would much rather eat horse than some of the glorious gristle that goes into them :D

I dont know why everybody has their knickers in a twist .. it clear states on the packaging ... Low In Fat , High In Shergar ....

I'll get me coat.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Also..Hamburgers is an anagram of Shergar Bum <.8.>
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Middle East has been in the news since before I was born...I am getting tired of hearing about it...still read a bunch of articles this weekend though ](*,) ](*,)
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Here's 2 interesting articles on climate change that may lead some to ponder. https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... hp&pc=U531 https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... hp&pc=U531
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

flashback wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:35 pm Here's 2 interesting articles on climate change that may lead some to ponder. https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... hp&pc=U531 https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... hp&pc=U531
<.8.> could make singing on the beach in a cold December morning a thing of the past!
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

When the artic thing happens the beach will be a lot farther inland than today <ii>