New Old Guy

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Vectorxw8
Embryo
Embryo

New Old Guy

Post by Vectorxw8 »

I with a great many others have become homeless with the closing of the Pink Floyd site I have been a member of since the 90's. I pray this site will not suffer the same fate. I have been a life long fan of Pink Floyd seeing them for the first time in 1971 at Kent State outside Cleveland Ohio, USA. But the next show in 1973 is the show by which all others will be measured and found wanting.
For me the best show I have ever seen was the Pink Floyd US tour June 24, 1973. They had a very short US schedule and the show I saw was in Cleveland Ohio. Somehow they got booked into a venue called the Blossom Music Center. This is where the Cleveland Orchestra played their summer series of concerts. It is a beautiful setting in a park like area outside of the city and it was the first time a rock show was ever booked there. They sold two levels of tickets, reserved seating under the pavilion or general admission. General Admission was seating on a sloping grass lawn where you would put out a blanket and sit on the lawn. The general admission tickets went for the kingly sum of a whole $3.00. First the place sold out of tickets in less than 5 minutes 10,000 was the maximum seating capacity but, 25,000 people showed up. When the gates opened there was such a rush of people trying to get in no matter what. People were just running past the ticket takers and climbing the fences to the point when they just collapsed under the weight. When that happened there was just a stampede, the poor ticket takers quickly ran for their lives. They were used to families with their wicker baskets and picnic lunches not the thousands of stoned, rabid fans, that were determined to see the show. So all the ticket takers and security cowered in an office somewhere while everyone just walked in. In my defense I did have a general admission ticket, I still have it as a matter of fact.
Walking to the place, I was at the top of the hill looking down the grass lawn and seeing behind the pavilion was 4, 40 foot tractor trailers . Each was painted black with the Dark Side of the Moon graphics. They had the sound system set up with two towers of speakers on the top of the hill, two more sets on the walkway just outside the pavilion, and two more columns on the stage. The speaker set was huge each tower was 2 stories tall and 30 feet wide. During the opening song Obscured by Clouds the sound started at the stage then roared up the right hand towers then from the back left tower back down to the stage. It was so loud the ground shook . I later read the police were called from people miles from blossom to report strange sounds in the night. The band was setup on the main stage with the backup singers on a smaller stage to the right of the main stage. The backup singers were dressed in formal silver sequined gowns, the slightest movement made the dresses shimmer in the stage lighting like they were covered in glitter. The main stage was setup with the equipment seen on the back of the Umagumma album. With the addition of several new props for the Dark Side of the Moon. The greatest part of the show was the music they played.
!. Obscured by Clouds
2. When you’re In
3. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
4. Careful with That Axe, Eugene
5. Echoes

6. The Dark Side of the Moon **(What made it more wonderful was it’s the first time I heard it complete without the brakes to turn the record over ect. We had Records or 8 tracks or cassette tapes that all broke up the music . Unless one had a real to real tape machine live was the only way to hear it from start to finish with no brakes)**

Encore was; One of These Days

The likes of The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, E.L.P. The list goes on and on to over 200 concerts and, in my humble opinion none can hold a candle to this one magic show in 1973 by Pink Floyd.
There was a price for this show though. It was very much like the inmates were running the asylum. I remember seeing a couple of guys walking around on the roof of the pavilion. I also remember an announcement from the band asking people stop throwing fireworks at the stage?? I think. But for whatever reason the fact is they did not play Cleveland again until 1977 some 4 years. I did go to Pittsburg to see the 1975 tour but that would be another long winded story..
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: New Old Guy

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Great story Vectorxw8. Welcome to the Board.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Welcome Vectorxw8! Enjoy tour stay!
Outside-Looking In
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Outside-Looking In »

Vectorxw8 wrote:I with a great many others have become homeless with the closing of the Pink Floyd site I have been a member of since the 90's. I pray this site will not suffer the same fate. I have been a life long fan of Pink Floyd seeing them for the first time in 1971 at Kent State outside Cleveland Ohio, USA. But the next show in 1973 is the show by which all others will be measured and found wanting.
For me the best show I have ever seen was the Pink Floyd US tour June 24, 1973. They had a very short US schedule and the show I saw was in Cleveland Ohio. Somehow they got booked into a venue called the Blossom Music Center. This is where the Cleveland Orchestra played their summer series of concerts. It is a beautiful setting in a park like area outside of the city and it was the first time a rock show was ever booked there. They sold two levels of tickets, reserved seating under the pavilion or general admission. General Admission was seating on a sloping grass lawn where you would put out a blanket and sit on the lawn. The general admission tickets went for the kingly sum of a whole $3.00. First the place sold out of tickets in less than 5 minutes 10,000 was the maximum seating capacity but, 25,000 people showed up. When the gates opened there was such a rush of people trying to get in no matter what. People were just running past the ticket takers and climbing the fences to the point when they just collapsed under the weight. When that happened there was just a stampede, the poor ticket takers quickly ran for their lives. They were used to families with their wicker baskets and picnic lunches not the thousands of stoned, rabid fans, that were determined to see the show. So all the ticket takers and security cowered in an office somewhere while everyone just walked in. In my defense I did have a general admission ticket, I still have it as a matter of fact.
Walking to the place, I was at the top of the hill looking down the grass lawn and seeing behind the pavilion was 4, 40 foot tractor trailers . Each was painted black with the Dark Side of the Moon graphics. They had the sound system set up with two towers of speakers on the top of the hill, two more sets on the walkway just outside the pavilion, and two more columns on the stage. The speaker set was huge each tower was 2 stories tall and 30 feet wide. During the opening song Obscured by Clouds the sound started at the stage then roared up the right hand towers then from the back left tower back down to the stage. It was so loud the ground shook . I later read the police were called from people miles from blossom to report strange sounds in the night. The band was setup on the main stage with the backup singers on a smaller stage to the right of the main stage. The backup singers were dressed in formal silver sequined gowns, the slightest movement made the dresses shimmer in the stage lighting like they were covered in glitter. The main stage was setup with the equipment seen on the back of the Umagumma album. With the addition of several new props for the Dark Side of the Moon. The greatest part of the show was the music they played.
!. Obscured by Clouds
2. When you’re In
5. Echoes

6. The Dark Side of the Moon **(What made it more wonderful was it’s the first time I heard it complete without the brakes to turn the record over ect. We had Records or 8 tracks or cassette tapes that all broke up the music . Unless one had a real to real tape machine live was the only way to hear it from start to finish with no brakes)**

The likes of The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, E.L.P. The list goes on and on to over 200 concerts and, in my humble opinion none can hold a candle to this one magic show in 1973 by Pink Floyd.
There was a price for this show though. It was very much like the inmates were running the asylum. I remember seeing a couple of guys walking around on the roof of the pavilion. I also remember an announcement from the band asking people stop throwing fireworks at the stage?? I think. But for whatever reason the fact is they did not play Cleveland again until 1977 some 4 years. I did go to Pittsburg to see the 1975 tour but that would be another long winded story..
Interesting story. Also just came from the APFFN myself. What was your username there? I was "bluesno1fann"
Outside-Looking In
Embryo
Embryo

Vectorxw8 wrote:I with a great many others have become homeless with the closing of the Pink Floyd site I have been a member of since the 90's. I pray this site will not suffer the same fate. I have been a life long fan of Pink Floyd seeing them for the first time in 1971 at Kent State outside Cleveland Ohio, USA. But the next show in 1973 is the show by which all others will be measured and found wanting.
!. Obscured by Clouds
2. When you’re In
5. Echoes

Interesting story. Also just came from the APFFN myself. What was your username there? I was "bluesno1fann"
Vectorxw8
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Vectorxw8 »

Outside-Looking In wrote:
Vectorxw8 wrote:Humble opinion none can hold a candle to this one magic show in 1973 by Pink Floyd.
Hello Brother, bluesno1fann I remember your old name as being an admin? I think? I think I was Vectorxw8 on APFFN as well. You should remember my long winded story as I wrote it first for APFFN and posted it there. I have another story saved where I talk about being the "Old Guy" for the Division Bell Tour. I will post it here at some point too. I sign my posts as Scott or a more formal Scott W. Arnold depending on my mood. Scott
[URL=http://s978.photobucket.com/user/V ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Outside-Looking In
Embryo
Embryo

Vectorxw8 wrote:
Hello Brother, bluesno1fann I remember your old name as being an admin? I think? I think I was Vectorxw8 on APFFN as well. You should remember my long winded story as I wrote it first for APFFN and posted it there. I have another story saved where I talk about being the "Old Guy" for the Division Bell Tour. I will post it here at some point too. I sign my posts as Scott or a more formal Scott W. Arnold depending on my mood. Scott
[URL=http://s978.photobucket.com/user/V ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Yeah, me and Kelan's Wood (who has yet to join here) were the last two moderators on APFFN. Your story does ring a bell, but don't fully remember reading it back then.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Well, welcome! It's a great shame that the official site of one of the most major artists out there has gone down. Brings you here, though :)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Welcome :)