RTL Video

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
pffann
Axe
Axe

RTL Video

Post by pffann »

Sorry if I'm repeating but I've not seen any posts on here pertaining to David's RTL new video. So what's the census? What did you all think. I was quite disappointed it was animated. Not that I'm a filmmaker but I had pictured David singing in the back round whilst two young attractive people met at the French train station, danced like there was no tomorrow & then parted ways with a long passionate kiss when their boarding got called to two separate destinations. Then David would pack up his guitar and walk out of the station into a foggy mist....
Follix
Knife
Knife

Re: RTL Video

Post by Follix »

You got a lot of imagination...
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

not as much as the animator!

it's pretty dense; I've got to say I didn't follow all the symbolisms etc. Reminded me of the wall with the black ominous bird. it's a bit of a juxtaposition, because the song is under-produced IMO. It sounds unfinished almost.
- the 'just do it' line at the beginning sounds like a placeholder, it's breaks the flow awkwardly
- the drums are all over the place; they're trying to be up-pace almost disco (ABITW anyone? you even have the strumming telecaster at the beginning too), but they don't have the right sound for that, they sound like baby boomer band live at the pub, and they're contrastingly minimalistic too; not minimalistic, restrained even. it just doesn't work.
- david sounds like he's really struggling to sing this one; this is an aside comment. it's tough for me and I'm 31 and in the tenor range. expect struggles if you're seeing him live.
- so mica paris is on this, only to sing 3 words in a choir? surely she can do much more than that. I know she got some flak for her version of great gig but she is, or at some point an incredibly talented soul singer. perhaps only when singing covers but nonetheless. as I said, this song sounds unfinished to me.
- the sample at the beginning is not incorporated into the song as much as I thought; I don't hear the bass pick it up for instance (it would kind of sound like snowy white's love pain and sorrow actually). and it also sounds exactly like the original. this is subjective, but I thought when I heard Gilmour was using that as a basis for a new song, that it would turn into a lot more, not a sample at the beginning and that's it. think about the snippets of other tunes in pink floyd tunes, doctor who in one of these days, emily play in shine on, phantom of the opera in echoes (just kidding).
- the guitar solo sounds like a placeholder too; keep an ear out for this track/solo evolving live.

if this is the kind of stuff that Gilmour is going to release (I pre-emptively eat my words, as was evidenced by louder than words and the endless river, this may not be representative yet), I'm actually quite pleased/impressed with the standard for the endless river, and can only imagine how much work and how difficult (not technically perhaps, more of a mindset) it must have been for him to release a new PF album for us (he said he gets cold sweats thinking about doing more). kudos.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

It has more than a few "The Wall" influences, particularly evident, if you watch with the sound turned off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1v7hXEQhsQ

:-;
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Video is interesting, but the music, not so much. I would've liked to see something with this kind of symbolism etc. for a weightier song like A Pocketful Of Stones.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

raisemyrent wrote:not as much as the animator!

it's pretty dense; I've got to say I didn't follow all the symbolisms etc. Reminded me of the wall with the black ominous bird. it's a bit of a juxtaposition, because the song is under-produced IMO. It sounds unfinished almost.
- the 'just do it' line at the beginning sounds like a placeholder, it's breaks the flow awkwardly
- the drums are all over the place; they're trying to be up-pace almost disco (ABITW anyone? you even have the strumming telecaster at the beginning too), but they don't have the right sound for that, they sound like baby boomer band live at the pub, and they're contrastingly minimalistic too; not minimalistic, restrained even. it just doesn't work.
- david sounds like he's really struggling to sing this one; this is an aside comment. it's tough for me and I'm 31 and in the tenor range. expect struggles if you're seeing him live.
- so mica paris is on this, only to sing 3 words in a choir? surely she can do much more than that. I know she got some flak for her version of great gig but she is, or at some point an incredibly talented soul singer. perhaps only when singing covers but nonetheless. as I said, this song sounds unfinished to me.
- the sample at the beginning is not incorporated into the song as much as I thought; I don't hear the bass pick it up for instance (it would kind of sound like snowy white's love pain and sorrow actually). and it also sounds exactly like the original. this is subjective, but I thought when I heard Gilmour was using that as a basis for a new song, that it would turn into a lot more, not a sample at the beginning and that's it. think about the snippets of other tunes in pink floyd tunes, doctor who in one of these days, emily play in shine on, phantom of the opera in echoes (just kidding).
- the guitar solo sounds like a placeholder too; keep an ear out for this track/solo evolving live.

if this is the kind of stuff that Gilmour is going to release (I pre-emptively eat my words, as was evidenced by louder than words and the endless river, this may not be representative yet), I'm actually quite pleased/impressed with the standard for the endless river, and can only imagine how much work and how difficult (not technically perhaps, more of a mindset) it must have been for him to release a new PF album for us (he said he gets cold sweats thinking about doing more). kudos.
When your next album out mate? Maybe you can get Mica on board and make better use of her. Also fire a letter off to Dave and ask to produce his next album, he's obviously crying out for someone with your expertise.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

kjek1 wrote: When your next album out mate? Maybe you can get Mica on board and make better use of her. Also fire a letter off to Dave and ask to produce his next album, he's obviously crying out for someone with your expertise.
Yeesh... ](*,)

Chefs aren't the only ones with taste buds...and rock gods aren't the only ones with ears...
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

kjek1 wrote:
When your next album out mate? Maybe you can get Mica on board and make better use of her. Also fire a letter off to Dave and ask to produce his next album, he's obviously crying out for someone with your expertise.
Not this again ](*,)
When you follow that skewed stance, no one can voice an opinion on anything except if you're some kind of luminary in a very precise field (like someone who has sold millions of rock albums). Same goes for political opinions and the proposed fact that "rock stars should shut up and make music". Well, since I'm no expert and since you're certainly not one either, how the fuck are we supposed to be able to make the decision that some music deserve our money? Or how should we be enlightened enough to buy tickets for shows that no one, not even the artist, has yet seen? I'm currently starving because since I'm not a three stars Michelin chef, I'm too fucking stupid to know about food. <ii>
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

There's offering an opinion then there's giving overly critical and analytical dirge designed to make yourself look like some sort of expert, and of course spouting it as though it were some sort of fact. Yeah rock gods arent the only ones with ears, and chefs aren't the only ones with taste buds, you can dislike something, it may not be to your taste, absolutely agreed. However when you get to the technical bollocks of telling the chef or the rock god specifically what they should or shouldn't have done when you can't cook or write/perform music that's where I draw the line.

How anyone can listen to any sort of music and enjoy it with this nonsense going on is beyond me. It's pretentious shite and to be honest I don't care if my drawing attention to it offends people, it's just that it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

Incidentally this isn't all based off of the bloke above's comment so I hope he doesn't get too offended. It's just a general observation off a few Floyd forums, it's a common theme, and having lurked on them for years I'm not surprised people tend to find the fanbase to be a bit pseudo-intellectual and self important.

Don't get too worked up anyway, like I said I'm not a regular on the forums for this very reason so I won't be saying much anyway.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

kjek1 wrote:There's offering an opinion then there's giving overly critical and analytical dirge designed to make yourself look like some sort of expert...
raisemyrent shared thoughts and impressions in a detailed way; as a fan, I enjoy reading things this detailed because I immediately understood exactly what he was saying, both about the current piece and the Gilmour/Floyd context. This type of comment is one of the things I seek in a fan forum.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Fair enough it might have been a bit of an over-reaction. It's great that you enjoy that sort of thing, it's the reason I don't frequent the forums often, well not Floyd forums anyway where it tends to be really bad.

Raisemyrent made a couple a good observations, some of it, well i won't say any more.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Could be worse

If you want a classic DG video check out the video for Blue Light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUe3i9s4STw
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

drafsack wrote:Could be worse

If you want a classic DG video check out the video for Blue Light:

I bet if you offered the chance to erase that from existence jump at it. It really doesn't get any better the more you watch it :lol:
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Making an emphasis on calling the Blue Light video "conceptual" is actually pretty fucking hilarious coming from a Pink Floyd dude :lol:
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

drafsack wrote:If you want a classic DG video check out the video for Blue Light:

I've seen this before and didn't expect any surprises but apparently it's been some time and I'd forgotten quite a bit. It only took 17 seconds to be fully blown away by how poor it was. Simply saying "it's very 80s" doesn't cover it; this is like an outtake from a Madness appearance on an episode of The Young Ones (greatest TV show of all time, FYI) or something. [No criticism to Madness; silly mania was part of what they went for.]

His leg at the beginning is disturbing.

Shooting him from the air during a solo is a nice idea, but poorly executed here.

This video is a good reminder that musicians depend a lot on people around them for the things they don't do, and sometimes it doesn't go all that well.