Brighton - Review of the September 5th concert

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Brighton - Review of the September 5th concert

Post by moodyblue »

I thought I would share my thoughts of this concert seeing as no one else has chipped in yet.

We got there around 7pm to a very longish queue steadilly moving into the venue. To my surprise, as we were to go through the ticket check, some bloke came the other way and explained he needed to get out of the venue for something to the chap checking tickets. The official checking the tickets explained there would be no re-admittance if he choose to leave. He casually replied 'yeah ok' and off he went. Bizarre!

As for the concert, I'd waited 9 years to see Gilmour play live again so much anticipation for the setlist was to be had.

The venue itself (which I had never been to before) was a very modern affair. Not exactly cosy but small enough to kinda call it an 'intimate' concert.

You all know the setlist by now so little point in me stating what he played but suffice to say, for me there weren't any surprises. Gilmour was proffessional, said very little, was well rehearsed with the odd fluffed note thrown in for good measure.
There were many pauses and silences between the songs but you could sense the anticipation from the audience.
He clearly doesn't like communication and the only point of note was when on introducing the band towards the end, he mentioned he had asked 'Dick Parry' to play with the band but declared Dick had declined and hadn't felt 'up to it'. I would have loved to have heard him say at the very end instead of the standard 'thank you very much', 'It's great to be back' would have been nice but the reserved Gilmour would never go that far even if he felt it.
Oh one more point to note, he also stated early on regarding the songs to be played that many new songs would be played that no one had heard yet due to 'many fuck up's' on the actual release date. I presumed the album was meant to be out before the tour had commenced.

Going back to the setlist, interesting how he intersperced the new stuff with the old. It works if you ask me and as for the new material, it is a different approach than the last album to my ears.
As a guitar player, he hasn't moved forward in maybe 25 years or so as in development but has instead, settled into what we all know him for. Those tonal solos and typical phrasings he is so well known for are very present here. One particular solo stood out for me which I think was on the track called 'In Any Tongue'. Gilmour at his best.
One particular track had a very Swing/jazzy approach with Guy Pratt on the upright bass. Think 'This Heaven' but more exaggerated.

We had stewards on high alert to anyone attempting to film or take pictures of the concert. They were almost immediately told to 'stop'. If anyone plans to take snaps, I suggest waiting until the last third of the concert as by this time, the stewards had thought their job was done or better still, just bloody well watch and listen to the gig! :lol:

Gilmour's playing was as good as ever in my opinion. Some slight alteration of the solo's as always but the band sounded tight allbeit in my opinion with some slight arrangement/sound issues. 'On An Island' sounded a bit flat in parts as did 'The Blue' but whether or not that is me being objective is open to conjecture.

From a personal point of view, we had this what I could only call, complete arsehole with black hair and an 'Animals' logo on the back of his T-shirt in front of us who from time to time, insisted on jumping up and slightly freaking out to the music blocking about four people's views of the stage behind. I know folk like to enjoy themselves but this guy was little more than a selfish cretin. He eventually knocked the guy in front of him with his swinging arm that was met with protest. The idiot sat down after that!

On conlusion, one can only ponder now if the setlist will change or alter in any way for the rest of the dates but I for one sincerely hope he does self indulge a bit.

Last edited by moodyblue on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrAnderson
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Brighton - Review of the September 5th concert

Post by MrAnderson »

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Shame that pictures etc. are off limits, though as we've read people were Periscoping the show! :lol: I'd quite like to take a few pictures and clips, nothing overboard, to remember the night by, but I'll just play it by ear. That's what I liked about seeing Roger in 2011, the announcement that anyone is free to take pictures and even film, just don't use the flash. Seems that should really be the standard in this day and age, though most people will try and get away with it regardless, I hope I don't have my view obscured by a sea of people holding up their bloody phones! [-X
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Nice review, but did you actually enjoy it? I most certainly did. As for the queuing - why? No point, as we all had allocated seats. I strolled in from the nearby pub at 7.15...no queue. :-)
Atmosphere (for Brighton...normally mute - I live there!) was amazing.
Agree about the security/pics, but managed a few....as you do. ;-)
Looking forward to the RAH now - not that I wasn't before, but fabulous to have been so close-up in Brighton.
Loved it.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It was a fantastic experience and well worth the long journey.

He actually sounded a bit disappointed that Dick Parry didn't fancy doing this tour but said "we send him our love". He's never been the chattiest and never will, even when talking of the 'fuck ups' that delayed the album release you can just tell he's shy and not great at ad libbing away.

I must admit being 69 now I was slightly skeptical of how his voice might hold up, but I had no reason to be. Stunned at just how good he still sounds, okay he's a little raspy on the really high notes like the chorus on Us and them but he's 69 so that's at least got to be expected. Not many guys like him still singing in the same key after all those years.

The new material genuinely sounded fantastic, the jazzy number was very unusual. There was one new track that had a solo that nearly brought me to tears, it was pure Gilmour, raw emotion, crisp tone, hitting all the right notes at the right time. As the OP says he did hit a few bum notes too, especially during the intro solo on wish you were here which he and Guy Pratt had a good laugh at.

The setlist surprised me, I expected the new album in it's entirety followed back some rarer Floyd material, but I'm simply not going to complain about getting to hear tracks like Money performed live. It really was excellent and having Mr Screen there was a treat, the visuals were fantastic. I still don't quite get why they all had sunglasses on during Run Like Hell mind you! Security were a pain but only doing their jobs, by the time we got to Comfortably Numb people couldn't resist and everyone had the phones out and so the stewards were defeated.

As for his guitar playing, as good as ever, during the opening with 5am I had goosebumps, the raw power of his guitar, its so crisp, so clean, so loud, those perfect bends and with the right amount of vibrato. This is why so many people rush to see him. I actually thought I could feel my internal organs vibrating during the intro to Sorrow. And Comfortably numb, mind blowing, no better way to close the show. All in all a wonderful experience that cheered me right up.

I mentioned in another thread how people like to say that Pink Floyd were never technically gifted musicians. But as far as I'm concerned you can't apply that to Dave. Listen to how he plays, singings, jumps between acoustic, electric and slide guitars etc and there's no doubt he's an extremely gifted guy.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

ddebil wrote:Nice review, but did you actually enjoy it?
Interesting question. Yes I did. Perhaps my thoughts come across as a little too objective. I was more of an interested observer last night rather than a fan.

I am fortunate enough to have seats in one of the front blocks for the RAH so I have little doubt that night I will be more 'into it' as they say. Glad you enjoyed it though. :D

Very interesting reading the posts on this. Great to hear other people's experiences.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am getting very excited about seeing the tour reading these reviews. I just hope the sound in the Royal Albert Hall is good with it having that high dome ceiling! :shock:
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

*double posted*
Last edited by moodyblue on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Keith Jordan wrote:I am getting very excited about seeing the tour reading these reviews. I just hope the sound in the Royal Albert Hall is good with it having that high dome ceiling! :shock:
I doubt you'll be disappointed in any way with the sound in that place Keith as I am sure you know. The acoustics make it one of the best venues in London in my humble opinion. :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

moodyblue wrote:I doubt you'll be disappointed in any way with the sound in that place Keith as I am sure you know. The acoustics make it one of the best venues in London in my humble opinion. :D
That is reassuring - I have never been in there and am really looking forward to it! 8)
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

kjek1 wrote: I still don't quite get why they all had sunglasses on during Run Like Hell mind you!
It was probably because of the seizure inducing light show that they did by the looks of it.

Or he seen Roger do it during The Wall tour and thought he looked cool.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

awesome. tried to figure it out "The Periscopes". It works through "The Interwebs", right? lol
found some facebook, of all things, videos of the show. that song In Any Tongue sounds like a killer. saw some additional pictures with the PULSE videos showing on Mr. Screen. slow tear.
Seems like Mr. Screen is sporting the same all around varilight set up, plus the double row of same behind, very much like PULSE. Now, I can't tell if those are the 20+ year old light fixtures out of storage, or new ones, but I almost hope it is the old ones for sake of immersing myself partly into the world of my dreams: PULSE (I was 10 years old when it happened).

any word on the sound? reports on it being quite powerful. I remember being able to hear people chatting 2 rows away almost when I saw Roger here in Canada (however good quality and surround quad it was, it wasn't loud enough). though people in other sections said it was loud (and very much quad). Maybe because I sat by the sound board.
Was it quad or straight-up?

ps I just remembered the Orange show is GA. better camp outside!
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

It was a great, great gig. I won't duplicate what's already been said but I'll add a few observations. This was the first gig of a pretty extensive world tour. Taking this into account, I thought the band was incredibly tight and well rehearsed. The track 'Rattle That Lock', which I was generally unimpressed with as a single, transferred to the stage, was a great success - a long intro, and it rocked! Also, I have not previously seen David's 'Rocking Out' version of 'Fat Old Sun' - absolutely wonderful. I know there are a few on here who don't like 'Money', but I would say that track, leading into 'Us and Them', changed the atmosphere in the venue. You could feel it. All in all a great night and I'm still buzzing.
crazy emerald
Embryo
Embryo

Post by crazy emerald »

Still buzzing from the show last night which I thought was amazing. I thought his voice and guitar work was as good as it's ever been
Nice mix of songs but the gaps between songs slowed the flow of the whole thing a little bit
Would of been nice to have seen nick make a guest appearance
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Bigmanpigman raised a couple of good points I forgot to include.

I thought rattle that lock was "decent" on release, live however, it really has a whole other dimension and the intro to it with the choir singing "rattle that lock" was fantastic. It also had that extra buzz of being the first time Dave stepped up to the mic for the night. Someone on here suggested he'd struggle to sing that track live but I can confirm that this turned out to be bollocks because he sang it effortlessly.

Rocking out on Fat Old Sun is always one of the highlights and I love how much he's using his 55 Esquire on this tour. I must admit I preferred the way they lead into the solo on the 2006 tour.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

As per my post last night -
twcc wrote:
kjek1 wrote:He was sensational and when people say the Floyd were never particularly gifted musicians technically, you simply can't say that about Dave.

Special mention to his voice which really hasn't changed much at all in 50 years
+1

I agree with you there, great set and great voice ... I thought part 1 was a little shaky at times but part 2 was spot on

One amusing observation from tonight was one of the black cases by the left side of the stage had the name "GILMORE" on it ... I pointed it out to one of the roadies, I wonder if it will get changed tonight.

Looking forward to the next date !

<ii>
Nearly 24-hours have elapsed and the images are still with me. A great night and looking forward to the next time. I'm not sure about quad but there were certainly some interesting effects on some tracks and I suspect the sound and light guys were experimenting especially as this was a "shake-down" show