Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
18%
27%
34%
11%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 44

TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Re: Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Post by TheFloydian1 »

The Machman wrote:Err yes it does, because unlike AMLOR which was crafted with ultra-commercial intentions, DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall were hand crafted like a super sophisticated sculpture built with Roger's sweat, blood and tears while Gilmour made this album with the intent of generating massive amounts of revenue so he can whizz off to the nearest Learjet dealer.
Actually, no. The album was originally intended to be a David Gilmour solo album.

And I don't care how many blood, sweat and tears of Waters' went into the "golden trio", my point still stands--Gilmour era Floyd didn't feel the need to match up to the success of those, and they didn't need to. Sure, they could have kept going on after Division Bell, and maybe could have come up with another 15-20 year billboard chart topper, but its not going to happen.

I'm burned out by DSOTM, anyway, as I'm sure a lot of people are.
Last edited by TheFloydian1 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

TheFloydian1 wrote:
The Machman wrote:Err yes it does, because unlike AMLOR which was crafted with ultra-commercial intentions, DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall were hand crafted like a super sophisticated sculpture built with Roger's sweat, blood and tears while Gilmour made this album with the intent of generating massive amounts of revenue so he can whizz off to the nearest Learjet dealer.
Actually, no. The album was originally intended to be a David Gilmour solo album.

And I don't care how many blood and tears of Waters' went into the "golden trio", my point still stands--Gilmour era Floyd didn't feel the need to match up to the success of those, and they didn't need to. Sure, they could have kept going on after Division Bell, and maybe could have come up with another 15-20 year billboard chart topper, but its not going to happen.

I'm burned out by DSOTM, anyway, as I'm sure a lot of people are.
Sorry about that, I'm a die hard Waters fan and a staunch believer that between 1971-1979 when Roger ruled the band with an iron fist, great artistic achievements came as a result, He was and ever will be THE Floyd 8) But I respect your opinion
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Yep im bored too with DSOTM

er there is more to Floyd then Roger Waters without David,Nick and Rick the albums classic albums from that era wouldnt be the same they all added as much to the sound of PF

Roger is not Pink Floyd!!
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

azza200 wrote:Yep im bored too with DSOTM

er there is more to Floyd then Roger Waters without David,Nick and Rick the albums classic albums from that era wouldnt be the same they all added as much to the sound of PF

Yes he is the Floyd! because Rogers philosophical lyrics gave the band a colourful soul that the rest of the members cannot match up!
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Thats ONLY the lyrics he didnt arrange the music did he.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

azza200 wrote:Thats ONLY the lyrics he didnt arrange the music did he.
*sigh* you've got a point there :( but I still believe that Roger was the backbone of the band especially through difficult times

When they were financially screwed back in '78 '79 It was Roger who wrote up all the Wall/Pros and Cons material which would later be a Godsend for Pink Floyd, hadn't he pushed Dave, Nick & Rick hard enough during those two years Pink Floyd would be no more!

Yes, he was just a lyricist to some. but to me he'll always be PF's most definitive member :)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

A friend interpreted the cover as Waters being the lightbulb man, stating that he is the light, while the other man stands for Gilmour's Pink Floyd, which attracts the birds (the audience).
Last edited by Wolfpack on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Wolfpack wrote:A friend inteterpreted the cover as Waters being the lightbulb man, stating that he is the light, while the other man stands for Gilmour's Pink Floyd, which attracts the birds (the audience).
Cool.

I believe the official interpretation of the cover (from Storm Thorgerson himself, iirc), is simply that the birds surrounding the man represents the sound, while the light bulbs represent the lights [of the concerts].
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

I would rate this a 3. It is hard to put my finger on it, but I guess it is just that bleak time. I do enjoy the cover, and did have the poster at one time. But yeah, not that great.
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

Hi all,

Just joined, so picking up on a few threads.

Agreed re Rachel Fury, stunning! love the shot of her in the Time chorus particularly. Find it hard to take dvds seriously where the guitar solos have so obviously been overdubbed, ie Time.

What else, hate the edits, totally unacceptable in CN, but it would be have to have a proper dvd release with these reinstated.

Overall I find Venice from RTE the best representation of the 87-89 period
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

The Machman wrote:
azza200 wrote:Yep im bored too with DSOTM

Yes he is the Floyd! because Rogers philosophical lyrics gave the band a colourful soul that the rest of the members cannot match up!
Talk about delusional. It always amazes me the way Waters die-hards prioritize lyrics and themes over music. Here was me thinking MUSIC was the central unit in the MUSIC business.

He may be a lyrical genius, but Shine on, Echoes, Wish You Were Here, Comfortaby Numb and nearly all of the most lauded Floyd tracks are heavily depended on Gilmour and Wright musically, which makes your statements all the more ridiculous.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Anyway it's a great album and a great representation of how good the band were live.

However I never cared for the version of Wish You Were Here on it and whilst comfortably Numb sounds fantastic on the album version I always hated the way it was cut up for the VHS, just awful.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

kjek1 wrote:Anyway it's a great album and a great representation of how good the band were live.

However I never cared for the version of Wish You Were Here on it and whilst comfortably Numb sounds fantastic on the album version I always hated the way it was cut up for the VHS, just awful.
go on you tube and put Comfortably Numb 23rd august 1988 that will take you to the uncut solo of Delicate Sound Of Thunder's Comfortably Numb the solo is way better then the uncut pulse solo
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Never noticed it before, but in the credits on the live VHS, there's a credit of "Introducing as the maid..." and a slightly exotic sounding name.
Was it a nickname for one of their technical special effects? Someone who appears in the video? Or the 1987 Pink Floyd slave? <.8.>
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Never noticed it before, but in the credits on the live VHS, there's a credit of "Introducing as the maid..." and a slightly exotic sounding name.
Was it a nickname for one of their technical special effects? Someone who appears in the video? Or the 1987 Pink Floyd slave? <.8.>
Never noticed that either. Could be a reference to the maid on the AMLOR album and program cover maybe ?