Gilmour persona 2015

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Gilmour persona 2015

Post by learningtofly »

He seems much more relaxed and happy now? someone even said signing autographs after the koko gig! was more grumpy 10 years or so ago by his own admission...has said with Brighton being vibrant etc perhaps this has energised him. Perhaps the Charlie situation also caused him to become more 'involved'....
Follix
Knife
Knife

Re: Gilmour persona 2015

Post by Follix »

I think that he cares more about music now than anytime in the last 20 years...

Only problem is that he will be 70 soon and his voice is starting to suffer, he might just be 5 years too late.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

learningtofly wrote:Perhaps the Charlie situation also caused him to become more 'involved'....
You mean Polly's boy? For a second I thought you might have meant that scandalous French newspaper, or was it a journalist!?

He's a family man now, like he stated he wanted to be.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Follix wrote:Only problem is that he will be 70 soon and his voice is starting to suffer
His voice is starting to suffer the way that some of his peers' voices started to suffer in their 40s. I'd say he still has quite a way to run.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Agreed with Hudini because David is pushing70, about time his voice was weak, as sad as it is. But most of the voices I know are not so remarkably weak in their 40s. Yes, they start to get weak, but, again, not remarkably. 50s are still bearable, but 60s are a "beach".
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

In all honesty, I think that Gilmour's voice is better since the early 00s than it's been since PF has been doing massive tours in the mid-70s. For what he's lost in power and endurance, he's gained as much in control, finesse and overall technical ability. One of my favorite bootleg is the one from Oakland during the Animals tour and although Gilmour then could belt out rocky stuff he wouldn't do now, his performance is really rough and not as varied as it is on this tour. I don't think I could name a single male singer of his age that sounds as good.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

True, his vocie has aged comparably well. He has rarely been a hard-rock singer, took years of breaks and possibly took some vocal couch training.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

To be honest I find it was better at the beginning of his current tour (Brighton,Pula) than it was the last times we heard him (Jools Holland, Koko) so it might just be temporarily still there is a massive difference with 2006 tour. On certain songs it's not too apparent, thinking about ''Wish You Were Here'' especially but on most live songs of his new album or on ''Us and Them'' it's quite brutal.

I don't want be harsh, anyway I care more about his guitar playing than his vocals (And off course, David got a better singing voice at age 69 than Waters at 50 yo)
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Gilmour seems more relaxed now + his voice grows rougher as the tour unfolds = too much second-hand pot smoke :?:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mastaflatch wrote:I don't think I could name a single male singer of his age that sounds as good.
Bowie. But that's just about it.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Hudini wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:I don't think I could name a single male singer of his age that sounds as good.
Bowie. But that's just about it.
But how would Bowie sound in a live set? It seems we will never find out. David is putting himself out there and I greatly respect him for that.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

True, Bowie hasn't toured for a decade and probably never will again. But I believe his decision not to tour has more to do with his personal life than the state of his voice.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Bowie sounds alright, indeed, but, you know, sometimes an aged voice can ruin a song, and, to me, some vocals on The Next Day were borderline that. But hey, it's just my opinion.
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

Jagger is another,

He sang amazingly well on the recent RAH gigs, as someone said it was on the televised performances that he struggled.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

moom wrote:Bowie sounds alright, indeed, but, you know, sometimes an aged voice can ruin a song, and, to me, some vocals on The Next Day were borderline that. But hey, it's just my opinion.
A few people had that opinion. I thought his voice was fine, hes just old now.

With regards to the TV performances. How was the mix? To me TV performances always highlights the worst in music. The vocals are usually mixed way too high, harmonies are all screwed up and anything with more than a three piece usually sounds crowded and muffled. TV can produce very dry mixes too.

All of these things work against David Gilmour. Especially when his voice isn't as good as it used to be (see us and them)