Gilmour persona 2015

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gilmour persona 2015

Post by snifferdog »

I think he was pushing his voice a bit with the latest album anyway. Still, he might as well while he still can. At least he's still singing live rather than lip syncing.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

snifferdog wrote:At least he's still singing live rather than lip syncing.
Is that directed to somebody in particular? :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Alternative 4 wrote:
moom wrote:Bowie sounds alright, indeed, but, you know, sometimes an aged voice can ruin a song, and, to me, some vocals on The Next Day were borderline that. But hey, it's just my opinion.
A few people had that opinion. I thought his voice was fine, hes just old now.
I mean when a track is fun and upbeat it's hard, for me, to get excited because of the old voice. Took me a while to get into some of the latest Public Image Ltd tracks. Well... they say it's cool to be in minority :lol: Whatever, it's just my opinion - I'm picky.
Alternative 4 wrote: With regards to the TV performances. How was the mix? To me TV performances always highlights the worst in music. The vocals are usually mixed way too high, harmonies are all screwed up and anything with more than a three piece usually sounds crowded and muffled. TV can produce very dry mixes too.

All of these things work against David Gilmour. Especially when his voice isn't as good as it used to be (see us and them)
I'm usually on the fence when it's a woman singing, in which cases vocal mixes are often low. Have no opinion on males.
Follix wrote:
Is that directed to somebody in particular? :lol:
That might just be, indeed, the Jolly Roger :lol: Still can't believe he did that.
Though then again, his voice has rarely been beautiful, so it's kinda understandable why he chose to do that.
David always beats him, as did Rick and Syd. David seems to be very self-aware about his vocals.

Another thing about his persona is that he still seems like a rather fun, happy person, after all these years. :)
Bluenose
Axe
Axe

Post by Bluenose »

Alternative 4 wrote:
moom wrote:Bowie sounds alright, indeed, but, you know, sometimes an aged voice can ruin a song, and, to me, some vocals on The Next Day were borderline that. But hey, it's just my opinion.
A few people had that opinion. I thought his voice was fine, hes just old now.

With regards to the TV performances. How was the mix? To me TV performances always highlights the worst in music. The vocals are usually mixed way too high, harmonies are all screwed up and anything with more than a three piece usually sounds crowded and muffled. TV can produce very dry mixes too.

All of these things work against David Gilmour. Especially when his voice isn't as good as it used to be (see us and them)
I think the problem is the seriously rubbish sound on TVs, regardless of how much is spent. Only alternative is to channel the TV through a sound-bar or preferably a 5.1 surround sound system.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Bluenose wrote:
I think the problem is the seriously rubbish sound on TVs, regardless of how much is spent. Only alternative is to channel the TV through a sound-bar or preferably a 5.1 surround sound system.
Fair enough. What about physical media and PCs, though?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Fuck this.

Rick is the only thing thats missing to the Gilmour persona. At least the live part.

No servants of his - Pratt or Carin or whatever, or mr. screen or pulse like repertoire can match Ricks improvisations and notes he hit so fucking perfectly.
The silence when he didnt hit them was perfect.

Thank Gawd I heard Echoes with him live in 2006.

Shine on, you good man. I miss you so much.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

They never were meant to match him, chill ;)