Pink Floyd '1965' double 7" Black Friday 2015

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Pink Floyd '1965' double 7" Black Friday 2015

Post by Alternative 4 »

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... -7.481968/

This actually seems real. Anyone know anything about it?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd '1965' double 7" Black Friday 2015

Post by Wolfpack »

PINK FLOYD 1965 'THEIR FIRST RECORDINGS' 2015 MONO 2X7" SINGLES ON THE PARLOPHONE RECORDS LABEL 0825646018611.
This 2 single pack is brand new and unopened and in mint condition
Track Listing Record 1: Lucy Leave, Double O Bo, Remember Me.
Record 2: Walk with me Sydney, Butterfly, I'm a King Bee.
Syd Barrett: Vocals Guitar. Rado Klose: Guitar. Nick Mason: Drums. Roger Waters: Bass, Vocals. Richard Wright: Keyboards.
source: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/PINK-FLOYD-1965- ... 1032945644

Front cover:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODcyWDEwMDA=/ ... 2/$_57.JPG

Back cover:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDEwMDA=/ ... C/$_57.JPG
pinkfloyd
THEIR FIRST RECORDINGS

lucy leave
double o bo
remember me
walk with me sydney
butterfly
i'm a king bee
Syd Barrett: Vocals, Guitar
Rado Klose: Guitar
Nick Mason: Drums
Roger Waters: Bass, Vocals
Richard Wright: Keyboards

Juliette Gale: Vocals On 'Walk With Me Sydney'

45rpm mono
pinkfloyd 1965

RECORD 1
A1 - Lucy Leave (Syd Barrett) 2.53
B1 - Double O Bo (Syd Barrett) 3.25
B1 - Remember Me (Syd Barrett) 2.45
RECORD 2
A1 - Walk With Me Sydney (Roger Waters) 3.11
B1 - Butterfly (Syd Barrett) 2.59
B2 - I'm a King Bee (Slim Harpo) 3.07

Mastered for vinyl by Andy Jackson.
Tube Mastering & Ray Staff, AIR Studios.

Creative Director / Photography: Aubrey Powell/Hipgnosis Ltd.
Light Projections: Peter Wynne-Willson
Design / Kinetic art: Peter Kurzon/StormStudios

(P) The copyright on this sound recording is owned by Pink Floyd Music Ltd.,
under exclusive license to Parlophone Records Ltd. [...]
(C) The copyright on this sound recording is owned by Pink Floyd Music Ltd.,
under exclusive license to Parlophone Records Ltd, a Warner Music Group Company.
Made in the EU.

Barcode: 0 825646 018611
The titles in the tracklisting are without capitals.
The tracklisting and "pinkfloyd", 1965" and "45rpm mono" use the same lowercase font as the front cover of 'A Saucerful of Secrets' (1968).
The credits contain "Rado Klose" instead of "Bob Klose".
The lettering looks as if "pinkfloyd 1965" could be the group's name.

On Steve Hoffman Music Forum, Easy-E suggests: "its probably 1965 copyright extension material, put out in limited quantities".
JPJs Bass Guitar (location UK) replies: "Just spoke to my local record shop owner and that's exactly what it is.
Apparently 300 pressed - 220 went to UK HMV with the remaining to indie shops. No pre publicity allowed or banned from next RSD."
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-13387016 (today)

Discogs entry:
Pink Floyd ‎– 1965 Their First Recordings
Label: Warner Music Group ‎– 0825646018611
Format: 2 × Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, EP
Released: 27 Nov 2015
Genre: Rock
source: http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-1965- ... se/7780256
Last edited by Wolfpack on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Hey you! Pink Floyd has a new release,
containing 4 previously unknown tracks! Hello?!! :shock:
Hopefully, this topic will get more attention now there's actually some music to be heard. 8)

Samples of all 6 tracks,
each 30 seconds:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0gd1nbxhy6ho ... 6YYca?dl=0

<ii> \:D/ <ii>

Thanks to Hawthorn, from Steve Hoffman Music Forums.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-13391132
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/ ... Mix/page14&

Yes that's right (although not entirely my doing, I just supervised the vinyl cut). It's been released because of the 50 year rule, anything un-released after 50 years becomes public domain. You haven't missed much!!

I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more attention.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Yes that's right (although not entirely my doing, I just supervised the vinyl cut). It's been released because of the 50 year rule, anything un-released after 50 years becomes public domain. You haven't missed much!!
That quote is from Andy Jackson, 27 November 2015 09:13 PM.
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/ ... post271877

I think 'Walk With Me Sydney', written by Waters, is musically surprisingly catchy.
And I think Barrett's vocals, as already known from 'Lucy Leave' and 'King Bee', are a bit crude.

Today on Steve Hoffman Music Forums, someone noted that Barrett is using an American accent on these recordings:
Aghast of Ithaca wrote:On balance I would say Syd was right to drop the American accent.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-13391231

If Barrett really is using an American accent, these recordings are already interesting only because of that.
Barrett became praised for his English approach in his vocals and lyrics.
Alternative 4 wrote:I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more attention.
On the Steve Hoffman Music Forums, with audio samples, and also the Quadraphonicquad Forum, with Jackson participating, there's a lot more attention for this release than on Neptune Pink Floyd, which is dedicated to Pink Floyd. :shock:
(Deleted: long cynical rant about some solo projects by Gilmour and Waters getting almost all the attention.) ](*,) :P

As for promises for 2016, and hopes for 2017, I wouldn't hold my breath.
The Beatles somehow soon quit releasing their soon to be unprotected material, after the release of recordings from 1963 (2013).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatl ... dings_1963
There's no such release of 1964 and 1965 material.

Today on Steve Hoffman Music Forums, someone wrote:
Arnold Grove wrote:Apple Records seems to be taking a different approach to the copyright dilemma. They released a 1963 "Bootleg" compilation, but skipped 1964 and do not seem to be doing a 1965 one. So their lawyers are somehow viewing this differently.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-13391247
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Talk about a collectors item.

This gives me some hope for Vegetable man being released.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

I hope this rare "copyright protection" release means that they are considering a more regular release.
For example, a (still expensive) 'Immersion' release.

Maybe they're curious for the public reaction?

Why would they do this effort, for example hiring Andy Jackson, if they only want to protect copyright?
To just protect copyright, they could just have transfered some hissy copy of a copy.

Why don't they follow The Beatles, who quit these "copyright protection" releases after one year (1963)?

Maybe they didn't want to take the risk of getting into law suits, unlike The Beatles?
And maybe that's because they intend, as Nick Mason has hinted a few years ago, to release the material anyway?
Or are they just restoring/investigating those old recordings for the joy of their own grandchildren? :?
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

We know they are perfectionists and we know they like supporting Syd's family. I suspect the copyright issue forced their hand into releasing this but they still wanted it to sound good.

Public reaction is an interesting theory. Us Floyd fans always want more rare stuff, so if this creates a lot of interest we might get more. If they see a market with the hardcore fans, they might support it. Maybe moving to cheaper limited releases rather than expensive box sets that no one buys.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

wonder how big of a seller this could have been if it was more widely released?
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

There is now a page for this release on Discogs, and you can see the pictures of the back/front cover and the vinyl labels. By looking at it seems to me that that release is simply called 1965 ("Their First Recordings" on the front sticker could be an ad, if one can use that word here...). 1965 is the only release title that appears on the vinyl labels inside. Also, it is classified as an EP, but judging by the physical release characteristics I would call this a double single (two 7'' records with a double B side). Very tasteful package by the way, and I love the fact that the cover was done by Hipgnosis.

I have a sense that Nick Mason, whom these days I like to call "the last man in Pink Floyd", is walking around with a smirk on his face. A year after The Endless River, and after everyone (including David) proclaimed it dead, Pink Floyd came out with what is essentially a new release :D
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Update: the band finally speaks about this via its official Facebook page, of all places...

"If you weren't one of the lucky ones to come across one of these in your local record store (the only place they were available from), don't worry, Pink Floyd hope to make them available in some physical form towards the end of next year".
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Pink Floyd on Facebook wrote:"If you weren't one of the lucky ones to come across one of these in your local record store (the only place they were available from), don't worry, Pink Floyd hope to make them available in some physical form towards the end of next year".
\:D/ <ii> \:D/
But... at what price? <.8.>

At the moment, I'm listening to a needle drop.
I like the tracks much more than I expected from listening to the short samples.

Of the "new" tracks, 'Butterfly' now makes the most impression on me.
I think it contains some early psychedelic flavour.
And I think a reworked, re-recorded 1967 version could have been a great single.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I agree, "Butterfly" revisited in 1967 would've been a solid track. "Walk With Me Sydney" made me smile, I would love to hear Roger's present day thoughts on his earliest Pink Floyd track. "Double O Bo" is quite an oddity, pure r'n'b, and one can hardly recognize Syd's voice there.

One additional thought: Syd's American accent on "Remember Me" is simply priceless :D
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Hadrian wrote:"Walk With Me Sydney" made me smile, I would love to hear Roger's present day thoughts on his earliest Pink Floyd track.
He did an interview a few months back, and he mentioned Walk With Me Sydney. Here's an extract:
Returning to the site where the band got its start prompted plenty of good-natured reminiscing from Mason and Waters, with Waters recalling he started writing songs after Barrett inspired him — and wrote one early composition, “Walk With Me Sydney,” with him in mind.

“I’m afraid I can,” he laughed when asked whether he can remember how it went, and sings, “‘Waaalk with me, Sydney / I’d love to, love to, love to, baby you know / Sydney, it’s a daaark night, hold me, hold me, hold me tight / I’d love to, love to, love to / But I got flat feet and fallen arches and peritonitis and DTs and a washed-up braaaaain …’”

After his impromptu a cappella performance Waters chuckled, “It was appalling. They don’t write songs like that anymore, son!”
:)