Richard Wright - Wet Dream

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
31%
27%
20%
15%
1 - Worst
7%

Total votes: 59

EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

Re: Richard Wright - Wet Dream

Post by EclipsedByTheMoon »

I'm gonna be completely honest, I fucking hate it. I'm so relieved it's over, never again. Don't get me wrong, I love Rick, but his solo albums are just meh. The songs are the kind of bland that you hear in shopping malls. I'm really sorry to say this of Rick's solo effort, but I can't lie. :(
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Post by omeaeol »

EclipsedByTheMoon wrote:The songs are the kind of bland that you hear in shopping malls.
Then you are either unfortunate to not have heard Rick's Broken China, or you are lucky enough to have never been in shopping malls...

P.s.: Sorry, I just realized that this topic is particularly about Wet Dream - so substitute please "Broken China" with "Wet Dreams" (my remark still works just the same).
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

I've heard Broken China, again, not impressed. I've been to shopping malls, there are like 7 of those in Bratislava, which is a relatively small city of 500, 000.
omeaeol wrote:
EclipsedByTheMoon wrote:The songs are the kind of bland that you hear in shopping malls.
Then you are either unfortunate to not have heard Rick's Broken China, or you are lucky enough to have never been in shopping malls...

P.s.: Sorry, I just realized that this topic is particularly about Wet Dream - so substitute please "Broken China" with "Wet Dreams" (my remark still works just the same).
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Post by omeaeol »

I was a sort of joking :)
I've been to shopping malls, there are like 7 of those in Bratislava, which is a relatively small city of 500, 000.
I see, Pozsony, er..., I mean Bratislava has been able to to catch up with globalization (and the consumer society).

Anyway, where I am living, I wish I could hear something like Broken China or Wet Dreams in shopping malls - because what I do hear is a million times worse than even the weakest song (if I could name one) on either of these albums by the great, late Richard Wright.
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

Don't call it Pozsóny! I hate when people call it either Pozsóny or Pressburg, those names are ugly. Bratislava sounds better. It's becoming a city filled with ugly ass glass business centers and shopping malls on every corner. They do, indeed, play stuff like Wet Dream there.
omeaeol wrote:I was a sort of joking :)
I've been to shopping malls, there are like 7 of those in Bratislava, which is a relatively small city of 500, 000.
I see, Pozsony, er..., I mean Bratislava has been able to to catch up with globalization (and the consumer society).

Anyway, where I am living, I wish I could hear something like Broken China or Wet Dreams in shopping malls - because what I do hear is a million times worse than even the weakest song (if I could name one) on either of these albums by the great, late Richard Wright.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I think it's a great album, and shows what Rick was contributing to PF.

Yeah, liking or not liking an album is highly subjective. So I'm not saying that anyone else's opinion is wrong. But, I really like it.

On the other hand, I don't like Broken China nearly so much.

EDIT: Just listened to WD again.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

I really like Wet Dreams, it is far better than Broken China, IMO. But, when listening to BC one has to bear in mind that there is a theme, namely his third wife's depression.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Annoying Twit wrote:shows what Rick was contributing to PF.
Absolutely. I don't remember specific tracks, but I remember the overall vibe.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

You need to listen to this album with the context of the year it was released and what was happening in the band. its pre Wall and post 'In the flesh tour'. The band are fractured, Roger is writing The Wall, David has just released his own solo album, Nick is out playing with his cars and Rick is off sailing his boat around the Greek Islands and living the Rock and Roll lifestyle. He has also, for the first time, had no writing credits on the Animals albums as Rogers dominance as a song writer and 'band leader' is now really starting to show and he feels he has nothing to contribute to the band. The momentum of David's solo album has stirred him and now he feels has something to prove. This album is it. Written at a time when Rick has lots of money and lots of time on his hands and it shows with it's relaxed atmosphere and long summer days feel.

I really like it, it's a gentle warm listen and has a bit of a 'Meddle' feel about it.

One year later Pink Floyd are skint and holed up in Europe to avoid paying the millions in tax they now owe due to Norton Warburg, Ricks marriage is on the rocks and he has been 'fired' from the band as he wants to go on holiday and not finish the back log of keyboards for the Wall album. So this album is the end of an era as well.
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

Still his best solo album. Have on vinyl and CD!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

thehumanzoo wrote: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:26 am Does anyone know what exactly possessed Rick to name the album this?
My theory: Rick felt that Roger intended to fire him out of the group very soon. But, he hoped it was just Roger's dream ..... a wet dream, that would not be realized att all. :D
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ All in all Richard Wright was just another brick in the wall.

Wet Dream seems to establish that Gilmour and Waters were correct to assume creative control of pink floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:08 amWet Dream seems to establish that Gilmour and Waters were correct to assume creative control of pink floyd.
Correct to assume creative control of pink floyd? They lasted the one and half Pink Floyd album more, and then it was all over.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:47 pm
Kerry King wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:08 amWet Dream seems to establish that Gilmour and Waters were correct to assume creative control of pink floyd.
Correct to assume creative control of pink floyd? They lasted the one and half Pink Floyd album more, and then it was all over.
That doesn't change the fact that pink floyd had been suppressing Rick Wright's material since WYWH. And I don't think the inclusion of Wright material would have prolonged the life of the band.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:39 am And I don't think the inclusion of Wright material would have prolonged the life of the band.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you. When Rick Wright's material was regularly included in the work of the group (Meddle, Dark Side, WYWH ..etc), Pink Floyd functioned as a band. Roger couldn't be totally dominant, and that kept the group alive. First when roger eliminated Rick's input in the band, he could take a total control of Pink Floyd.