Does nick control pink floyd now.

Discuss Nick Mason, Drumming, Cars, Saucerful of Secrets touring band and more!
Painmaster
Blade
Blade

Does nick control pink floyd now.

Post by Painmaster »

Just wondering if Gilmour actually left band. Ie:Waters Or was it offically brokeup so Nick can't do anything with it?
brell
Blade
Blade

Re: Does nick control pink floyd now.

Post by brell »

As far as I know he has not formally left.

Regarding breaking up the band: How can one break up a band that was never formally founded? (This was actually one of the reasons that Waters couldn't get a name ban on PF).
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Those are the questions of an almost philosophical nature.

If so much as a single member does not officially quit the band, does it still exist despite being inactive?

Did Barrett remain a member of the band since he wasn't officially fired? (They simply didn't pick him up for a gig one day, and all other gigs afterwards.)

Is Gilmour still a member of the band since he didn't officially quit? Does that make the band still active then?

Or if Gilmour does officially quit, does that make Pink Floyd an active band led by Nick Mason who didn't quit?
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

Did Pink Floyd ever exist since it was never officially founded?
Last edited by brell on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

He ruled it on One Of These Days :D

Maybe you mean control of their legacy?
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

I would say that David and Nick remain as key stakeholders in Pink Floyd Ltd (1987).

Roger was given full commercial rights to The Wall as part of the split negotiations.

Everything else in terms of re-releases, box sets, compilations etc are aligned to the associated royalty and ownership rights. I'm sure it's extremely complicated but unlikely that any one person has overall control.

I remember when they released the Echoes compilation all four members voted for the songs they wanted ( Gilmour wanted Fat Old Sun but no one else voted for it to be included)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

FreeFour wrote:I remember when they released the Echoes compilation all four members voted for the songs they wanted ( Gilmour wanted Fat Old Sun but no one else voted for it to be included)
Slightly off topic, I also remember they voted for more Syd's songs in proportion to other albums for royalties reasons.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Not sure if this is what your looking for. But im guessing its still legally a corporate entity. But whether gilmour saying he's done, means Mason could go bring in 2 or 3 side people and make a pink floyd album. Who really knows but them and there lawyers.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

How did they get any contracts or royalties if they never formally existed :lol:

Nor did they formally break up. All of those databases claiming they broke up in '95 only to reunite for a one-off gig @ Live 8 are just being stupid. Sure, these days hiatuses can be considered breakups, but it's still not official. The band did not practically exist in '84, but it was not official either.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Hudini wrote:Those are the questions of an almost philosophical nature.

If so much as a single member does not officially quit the band, does it still exist despite being inactive?

Did Barrett remain a member of the band since he wasn't officially fired? (They simply didn't pick him up for a gig one day, and all other gigs afterwards.)

Is Gilmour still a member of the band since he didn't officially quit? Does that make the band still active then?

Or if Gilmour does officially quit, does that make Pink Floyd an active band led by Nick Mason who didn't quit?
Is Rick still a member even though he's officially dead?

I think pink floyd is just a dream we're having.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Kerry King wrote:I think pink floyd is just a dream we're having.
Is it a wet one?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Yes, coz it's of the big star.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Does a tree falling in the forest.....

Boring answer alert https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0210 ... ecretaries

Esquire
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Esquire »

"took me 50 years but i did it, i am the leader of pink floyd.... Where is everyone?''