Please tell me....

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
homeby5
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Please tell me....

Post by homeby5 »

pffann wrote:Jeez why don't you all just hit me in the head with a nail gun?! Think it might hurt less. :cry: This is a bucket list concert for me - literally. After the bad news I got last week on my lab results I came home to Thank God I get to see Mr. Gilmour live. After I come home from Chicago I get to look forward to multiple medical tests & if really lucky multiple surgeries. So excuse me if I bounce up & down a few times seeing the best musician ever!
Well, then you of all people should have enough manners NOT to stand up and dance in front of others trying to enjoy the show. I've had a stroke, 14 surgeries, and have another one scheduled for April 8th, a week before I fly to NY to see David at MSG. I will be in the wheelchair section. Most everyone at his concert is older and don't feel like standing all night. So please, spare us the whining about medical conditions and then come here and spout off about standing in front of others who are sitting. Or are you the only one that should enjoy himself and damn everyone else?
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

Man you people Are brutal! I wasn't whining about my health & saying that gives me the right to stand in front of other people. I just said forgive me for bouncing up & down (in my seat) whilst seeing my #1 bucket list concert. As for my being a drunk flappy 60 something I'm barely 50 5 foot 1 in. & weigh a bit over a 100pds. Oh & BTW go have a look at some of the pix & clips from Hollywood Bowl. 90% are standing. Just saying....
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Yeah I don't know why people have to be so rude...

I still think tho that's it's not a Madonna concert even tho on a few tracks it's totally appropriate to dance.
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

Follix Thank You!! And everyone will be happy to know that I'm in the Last Row of the section I'm in - absolutely nobody behind me - so even if I decide to stand the whole entire show I won't be blocking anyone, except maybe some sound equipment! <ii>
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Last year when I saw him at the RAH, I felt really uncomfortable sitting. I'm used to standing at concerts, so I don't really know what to do when I'm seated, I feel really restricted, it wasn't until Run Like Hell to Comfortably Numb that I felt like I was allowed to let my hair down.

Thankfully I've got standing tickets for the show on the 30th of September, so I can let loose a bit!
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

This is a strange thread. I kinda assumed everybody knew the accepted form of behaviour at a Floyd/Gilmour gig. At one end of the rock spectrum you have, say, Airbourne, when everybody is jumping around like fuck and cans of lager are flying through the air..........well Dave is at the other end :lol:
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Bigmanpigman wrote:At one end of the rock spectrum you have, say, Airbourne, when everybody is jumping around like fuck and cans of lager are flying through the air.
Didn't know that band but I like it, thanks for that!
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

pffann wrote:Jeez why don't you all just hit me in the head with a nail gun?! Think it might hurt less. :cry:
That's quite an amusing thing to say.

All jokes aside, I think the replies show just how much the music is respected here.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Now you really begin to wonder why Pink Floyd and David Gilmour released songs like Another Brick in the Wall pt.2, Run Like Hell, Blue Light, Learning to Fly, One Slip, Sorrow, Take It Back, Rattle That Lock and Today. You know what is my personal stance on this, pffann? As long as you don't block anyone's view, do whatever you feel like. The main annoyance at shows is the nerds singing out of tune during every freaking song, not the odd people who dance when everyone's on their feet anyway.
Some people here fool themselves into thinking that a David Gilmour gig is some kind of high-brow, highly artful experience that is best lived alone in sullen torpor. If Gilmour wanted to be taken that seriously, he wouldn't play Money. Lighten up, people!
Last edited by mastaflatch on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

What's wrong with Money ?

Not my favorite, but it's a hit and people want hear hits... The only song that is really missing imo is Dogs but I doubt he could even sing it. Otherwise if all he wanted was a pop concert he would ditch Fat Old Sun, Astronomy Domine and even Shine On
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Follix wrote:What's wrong with Money ?

Not my favorite, but it's a hit and people want hear hits... The only song that is really missing imo is Dogs but I doubt he could even sing it. Otherwise if all he wanted was a pop concert he would ditch Fat Old Sun, Astronomy Domine and even Shine On
I like Money - mostly for the guitar solo but I mean, it's a funny song with an awkward set of lyrics to it. In Pink Floydology, it's a fun song. Not the grand oeuvre of a maestro that would tell his audience to sit down and behave.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Imo Another Brick in the Wall is really a pop song that even tho good as little to do with Floyd legacy. Same thing for Today and RTL for Gilmour.

The Beatles, in fact Paul and Ringo (When I'm 64, Drive my Car, Yellow Submarine, Obladi Oblada, Octopus Garden, She Came in Through... Uncle Albert) did a lot of stupid songs that people love, it's not inherently bad.
homeby5
Embryo
Embryo

Post by homeby5 »

pffann wrote:Follix Thank You!! And everyone will be happy to know that I'm in the Last Row of the section I'm in - absolutely nobody behind me - so even if I decide to stand the whole entire show I won't be blocking anyone, except maybe some sound equipment! <ii>
I apologize for coming across too strong. My bad.
Having said that, you started this thread by saying
"Please tell me people get up and dance during David's shows! I've seen pix and clips and everyone is sitting. How can you sit while seeing Mr. Gilmour?? I've waited almost 30 years for this show & have no intention of sitting. In fact I'm hoping everyone rushes the stage - at least during the encore!!"
That is different than what you are saying now. Of course, no one cares if you stand if you don't block anyone but again, you indicated a different scenario that assumed you would be blocking others.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Point to be made. At the forum in inglewood (los Angeles) we had decent floor seats and people were standing up (phones in hand) a lot, so everyone stood up and it created an annoying viscous cycle. Americans of course (no offence) were very vocal when asking people to sit back down. It did spoil the show partly.
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

Homeby5 I should have been more clear. No offense taken. As raisemyrent said most shows in the US are usually stood the whole time especially with floor seats. That's why I was not surprised to see most everyone on their feet in LA. Occasionally when everyone is standing some rude person will spend most of the night screaming sit down! I'm usually the lucky short person with the six foot four inch w/a cowboy hat on in front of me screaming and reeking of alcohol & weed. I don't expect that'll be the case with Mr. Gilmour but you never know :roll: