Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
10%
21%
28%
20%
1- Worst
21%

Total votes: 143

Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Wolfpack »

pffann wrote:I realize my comment about AMLoR being "Polly Free" may offend some so I apologize profusely.
You've made Mr. Gilmour cry. :cry:

:P

But seriously, why would your comment be offensive?
"Yoko Free", "Polly Free"...
There even seem to be some people who like Pink Floyd "Barrett Free"... :shock: ;)
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Wolfpack wrote:There even seem to be some people who like Pink Floyd "Barrett Free"... :shock: ;)
What about "Waters Free" Pink Floyd? :-;
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

And some people like them all :D

Gilmour free

Barrett free

Waters free
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Fingals Cave wrote:It's a coke album, innit?
It's got all the hallmarks - drenched in overfussy arrangements, thin brittle production, ideas randomly tacked together, too many session men for it to feel like a band. Seriously, some of the drum tracks sound like they were recorded six months after the guitar and vocals, giving it a clunky feel to the album, even on the better tunes.
Think also Be Here Now, Houses of the Holy, Presence, Never Say Die.....you know the rest....that's enough shite coke albums for now.
Are these the albums you mean?
Oasis - Be Here Now
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
jtull wrote:What about "Waters Free" Pink Floyd? :-;
Not as awful as a "Barrett Free" Pink Floyd. [-X

:P
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I like Never Say Die the most out of those lists. "Over To You" is a really overlooked Sabbath song, but probably not the right forum to say that.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

brell wrote:Gilmour free

Barrett free

Waters free
And Wright free. 8)
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I might be alone on this, but Wright Free is the worst version of Pink Floyd, because it totally stop sounding like Pink Floyd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Follix wrote:I might be alone on this, but Wright Free is the worst version of Pink Floyd, because it totally stop sounding like Pink Floyd.
Then I guess 'The Wall', 'The Final Cut' and 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' are your least favorite Pink Floyd albums.
Those albums had relatively little creative input from Wright. 'The Final Cut' having none.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

I've never understood why this album gets so much negative attention.

I am glad it exists and its in my top 5, here's why ;-

I got into Pink Floyd in the late 80's so I really did buy into the new album, tour and live album/video from this era.

Born in the 70's grew up in the 80's so I kinda get the 80's bombastic sound from the time. I don't think the album has a particularly warm sound but I love it for the fact that if you listened to it for the first time you would just know it's a rock album from the 80's.

Very cool album cover & probably up there with Animals & WYWH as my all time favourite Pink Floyd Album cover.

The band were very generous with the credits on this album and clearly there were many hired hands for the writing and performing. With that said Learning To Fly & On The Turning Away are great songs and probably the strongest co-written productions alongside Gilmours Sorrow. I am glad they exist and if you've ever been to a Floyd or Gilmour gig, these songs seemed to always get a huge reception.

There is much that is radio friendly on this album, and whilst they didn't really get much chart success ( I think LTF reached the mid 20's in the UK singles chart) the album got some much needed AirPlay.

For every argument that states The Final Cut is a Roger Waters album is equalled by the same statements towards Gilmour and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I love them both, but appreciate them both individually and for different reasons.

Clearly it lacks the band collaboration that followed with The Division Bell & doesn't have the heavyweight lyrics from the preceding and excellent Final Cut but think of what might have happened if Gilmour and Mason had walked away ?

I will admit there is some filler on this album (round and round, new machine, terminal frost) and I can't really say I enjoy listening to Dogs of War but for me the rest of it is a selection of songs that I love and always enjoy listening to.

I'm glad it exists and whilst it's no Floyd Classic it served its purpose brilliantly in rebooting the band, and enabled millions of people to enjoy Pink Floyd well into the 90's.
ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Post by ChickenStu »

Kinda sucks this one I'm sorry to say.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

2/3 of the album is good idea but production is awful... Sorrow album version is kind of boring, live (PULSE) however it's amazing.
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

I'm not one to whine about the "obligatory Gilmour solo" that often appeared in the post-Waters Floyd albums, but I do think "Sorrow" would have really been much better if that ending solo had been truncated. It's already one of my favorite songs as it is, but when 1/3 of the running time for a nine minute track is just a closing guitar solo...
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

Nick Mason was recently asked, while promoting The Early Years, about possibly redoing the drum parts of A Momentary Lapse of Reason, to release the album with more Floyd participation than originally was (the original rumor extended taking Wright's keyboard performances from the live versions and replacing the appropriate places in the said album, too), and to my surprise, he admitted at having done so, but forgotten all about it.

Is it possible that we can hear that version one day? Cause I'd be very interested in hearing that version very much...
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

Vegetable Layne wrote:Nick Mason was recently asked, while promoting The Early Years, about possibly redoing the drum parts of A Momentary Lapse of Reason, to release the album with more Floyd participation than originally was (the original rumor extended taking Wright's keyboard performances from the live versions and replacing the appropriate places in the said album, too), and to my surprise, he admitted at having done so, but forgotten all about it.

Is it possible that we can hear that version one day? Cause I'd be very interested in hearing that version very much...

That would be awesome! By the way, are you same Vegetable Layne from the smaller PF forum known as Floydians?
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

Vegetable Layne wrote:Nick Mason was recently asked, while promoting The Early Years, about possibly redoing the drum parts of A Momentary Lapse of Reason, to release the album with more Floyd participation than originally was (the original rumor extended taking Wright's keyboard performances from the live versions and replacing the appropriate places in the said album, too), and to my surprise, he admitted at having done so, but forgotten all about it.

That would be awesome! By the way, are you same Vegetable Layne from the smaller PF forum known as Floydians?