Nick - One Direction 'have some good songs'

Discuss Nick Mason, Drumming, Cars, Saucerful of Secrets touring band and more!
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Nick - One Direction 'have some good songs'

Post by jtull »

One Direction 'have some good songs', says Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason

Praise doesn’t come more cherished than when it’s from your childhood heroes and it’s almost certain that One Direction will relish the acceptance from Pink Floyd’s drummer Nick Mason, who said that the boyband have “some good songs”.

“They have some good songs. I don’t subscribe to this idea that musicians don’t make good music anymore. The standard of musicians is higher now than it was in my day,” Mr Mason told The Sun at an awards ceremony.
He added that the 1D boys did well to get as far as they did on The X Factor, stating that Pink Floyd “wouldn’t even have got through to the judges.

Well, that's a bit embarrassing. :shock:
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: Nick - One Direction 'have some good songs'

Post by Bigmanpigman »

F*** me. Now I know Nick has lost the plot. Do you think, maybe, he has dementia?
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

He's a fan of Ed Sheeran too. :-;

Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Well Ed Sheeran doesn't copy everyone like 1D do.

How 1D isn't crawling under lawsuits is beyond me, they plagiarized pretty much anyone (The Who, Def Leppard, Journey, Grease, Nick Jonas, Taylor Swift...)

It's ridiculous.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ed sheeran :smt015 :smt015 :smt078 :smt078
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

The one thing I don't get about this 'Ed Sheeran' thing is the little runt actually has a Martin signature guitar to his name!
Martin are one of the most respected guitar makers in the world yet there it is, cross aswell!!
I mean, what serious guitar player ever wants an Ed Sheeran signature guitar in their collection?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Ed Sheeran wont be around long he is only being used by his record company when they get tired of him and the novelty of hims wear away his signature guitar will lose money and become a pointless guitar as in 10 years no one will care about him or remember him. Is already starting not heard much from him this year already.

Your're right who would even want a Ed Sheeran guitar if someone said they wanted it instead of say Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton David Gilmour replica they would get laughed at for getting a nobody Ed Sheeran guitar
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

azza200 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:22 am Ed Sheeran wont be around long he is only being used by his record company when they get tired of him and the novelty of hims wear away his signature guitar will lose money and become a pointless guitar as in 10 years no one will care about him or remember him. Is already starting not heard much from him this year already.
Not aged well! 8-[

I don't like Ed much but he's in for the long haul.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Roger - 'I did check out some bits of Green Day, and you know, there's some very strong melodies in there'

DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 pm Roger - 'I did check out some bits of Green Day, and you know, there's some very strong melodies in there'

Why? They like concept albums, just like him. I rather enjoyed American Idiot when it was played in full by a radio station recently. Two five-part suites, political undertones... sounds like something right up Rog's alley
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I'm completely OK with this take actually. I can't say One Direction exactly crosses into my type of music, but I have found myself growing quite fond of some of Harry Styles' solo work so it's nice to hear kind words from an older generation on the subject.
DarkSideFreak wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:17 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 pm Roger - 'I did check out some bits of Green Day, and you know, there's some very strong melodies in there'

Why? They like concept albums, just like him. I rather enjoyed American Idiot when it was played in full by a radio station recently. Two five-part suites, political undertones... sounds like something right up Rog's alley
I also agree with this. Green Day has had some pretty good records I find. Radio friendly? Yeah. But still good stuff I find
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Plus, yes! If Syd era went on X Factor or even Got Talent shows and did what they did at UFO they'd be buzzed off!
Even 1972 they'd only have a minute which wouldn't have covered the first line of Set The Controls For The Heart of the Sun.
And yet if that type of TV was around in the 60's, how far would Walk With Me Sydney get them?
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:38 pm And yet if that type of TV was around in the 60's, how far would Walk With Me Sydney get them?
The only one of those proto-Pink Floyd songs I reckon would have gotten any airplay would have been Lucy Leave, but after that it would have been a neat but quickly forgotten 60's single.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:38 pm Plus, yes! If Syd era went on X Factor or even Got Talent shows and did what they did at UFO they'd be buzzed off!
Pink Floyd's David Gilmour says X Factor makes him feel uncomfortably numb

We don't need no X-ification says the rock legend who describes Simon Cowell's talent show as "ghastly

Pink Floyd legend David Gilmour has had a pop at The X Factor, describing it as “ghastly”. Yikes. The veteran singer and guitarist, 68, who launched his career with the progressive rock band in the 60s, has criticised the fast turnaround of the contestants on Simon Cowell’s ITV Saturday night franchise.

The musician says: “Now it’s celebrity culture for the sake of it. The X Factor - Ghastly.“People want their fifteen minutes of fame.”

Referring to X Factor alumni – who often shoot straight to the top of the charts after once appearing on the series – he slams the lack of hard work and long hours put into the craft. David argues: “But they haven’t come up the hard way like we did.

“I don’t know who the young bands are now, there’s nobody I Iike.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... ys-4354198