Live in wroclaw review

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Live in wroclaw review

Post by kjek1 »

Follix wrote:Yeah I play guitar as well and I have no idea how he pulls out that ''magic''. (Vibrato+timing+gears+guitar I guess)

As far as string bends and vibrato go he's unmatched as far as I'm concerned
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I would say the same about tone soloing and following the progression... Choosing the right note over the right chord.

He would probably want kill me for saying this but I don't know if you playing sited would help.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Oh yeah. Tone and note selection. For me he's the perfect guitar player and he just stirs up emotion in me that no other player can. I have a long list of guitarists I love who give me goosebumps but Dave just has something extra for me personally!

I didn't understand the last bit! Playing sited?
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

On a chair you know...
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Oh seated! Yeah, perhaps it would.

I always prefer to stand but perhaps for people of a certain age it Would be more beneficial to sit.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Yeah sorry English is not my first language :p

I remember BB King playing quite well this way at almost 85 yo and I saw Mark Knopfler do it too. It's less energetic but pretty sure it stabilize the playing.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Follix wrote:Yeah sorry English is not my first language :p

I remember BB King playing quite well this way at almost 85 yo and I saw Mark Knopfler do it too. It's less energetic but pretty sure it stabilize the playing.
BB King did it a lot! Mark Knopfler only did it for that one tour because he had injured his back
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

Troubling to read these reviews, I took the decision at the RAH shows last September to leave it at that. The Koko and BBC Jools Holland show lead me to believe his voice in particular were fading fast, no shame in that with his age, playing in original keys etc.

However, even worse to read the comments re guitar work. From my perspective, I’m ambivalent re ‘black’, appreciate the heritage etc but would be equally happy w ‘Red’, ultimately it’s pretty key the guitar can enable the best possible performance. If theres tuning issues it should be replaced surely.

Perhaps things will improve in Rome and Pompeii......
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Well Rome was yesterday...

About his strict voice it was much better during the SA leg (December) or NA american leg (March-April) than it was at Koko or Jools Holland.
What I've seen from the last few weeks is slightly weaker than it was back then but still better than those 2 particular gigs. If you compare his voice with other artists of his generations it's not that bad.

Imo Guitar playing have been an issue all tour long... No doubt he can still hit those magic notes but he just makes many mistakes.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It's not as bad as some make it sound. He'll never do a car crash gig. It's just that we've been accustomed to an extremely high standard of playing from Dave so hearing some more bum notes each gig is slightly jarring.

I'd never complain about his voice, it's held up far better than the majority of ageing singers and he's not taking the easy route out either. It takes guts to go out at that age and have to sing the chorus on Us and them and even new songs like Rattle that lock. Those are very taxing on the voice and throat, especially when you're 70 years old.

To sum it up, I will still happily pay 100 quid a ticket and go to see him as often as possible and i feel like I'm getting value for money.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Yeah I wouldn't mind paying again as well... This breed is dying in 5 years it won't even exist anymore so we should enjoy ourselves while we can.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

kjek1 wrote:To sum it up, I will still happily pay 100 quid a ticket and go to see him as often as possible and i feel like I'm getting value for money.
And how often have you seen him in the last few years?
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I'm going to see him twice in September, and with the show I saw last September, I would've seen him three times.

This time 18 months ago, I would never have thought I'd be given the chance to ever see him live, never mind three times in the space of a year. I'm just grateful he's still doing what he's doing, because who knows when his next tour will be? This could very well be his last, I don't want to waste it.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

PooF wrote:
kjek1 wrote:To sum it up, I will still happily pay 100 quid a ticket and go to see him as often as possible and i feel like I'm getting value for money.
And how often have you seen him in the last few years?
Twice in 2006, twice last September, and I'll be seeing him again this September.

4 of the 5 that I've been to will have been in London or Brighton so add flights and hotels into that and I've coughed up quite a bit of money going to see Dave, and it's not as though I've got much money either, my credit card took a real hit after Brighton
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

In terms of hitting some bum notes he did that during the live broadcasts of Venice in 1989 and Earl's Court in 1994, he's only human !

I went to two shows at the RAH last year and truly loved both of them. I am not going to any shows this year only because I want it to remain a special occasion (and couldn't get to Pompei). For me familiarity can sometimes breed indifference so I choose to let a little time go by and look forward to seeing him again in the near future.

I'd also like it if he did a UK gig that wasn't at the RAH as I've never particular liked the acoustics.