Roger Waters Us + Them Tour 2017

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: 2017 tour

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote:
Also Roger didn't play bass on the original one of these days so you've mugged yourself off there

Roger played the left channel. Read more, and less TV.
He didn't play the lead bass line though. You're incredibly ignorant to be telling anyone else to was more. You'd be better suited a forum that's exclusively for Roger Waters fans, that way you peddle myths and lies and you're far less likely to be caught out
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Re: Roger Waters Us + Them Tour 2017

Post by mastaflatch »

There's a lead bass on OOTD? You mean the middle part or the most audible one?
The story, according to Gilmour, is that there's 2 bass tracks (probably doing mostly the same thing) but one of them sounds dull because the roadie that was sent to buy new strings went off somewhere else instead.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Re: 2017 tour

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: He didn't play the lead bass line though. You're incredibly ignorant to be telling anyone else to was more. You'd be better suited a forum that's exclusively for Roger Waters fans, that way you peddle myths and lies and you're far less likely to be caught out

He played the left channel bass.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Very touching rendition of Vera/Bring the Boys! And definitely not note for note.

Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wybKOpriY1s
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

^ Yeah but when I say Wall is full of fillers I am talking about these kind of songs.

The real elephant in the room is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Bh4VKEHRY

Why in C Roger, WHY?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Roger is turning into a clown. Hiding behind a million projectors is... nothing. Brands himself a creative genius and he hasn't written **** all in 24 years. Also, he last evolved musically in the late 70s. Reminds me of any other washed up old act like the stones or Yes, just taking the cash in with hoardes (however diminishing) of people for whom they've done enough for a lifetime (I'm looking at you Flathead).
I agree as always with basically anything kjek says (should've gone for a pint at the Albert hall mate!), the first note of 5AM of all songs made me forget all 3 previous Roger shows, as I've stated before. Gilmour's solo material isn't the same as the Floyd from the 70s, but it's just that, Gilmour's solo material. He's put out way more art and pushed himself way farther than Roger ever will. He's guested on a variety of things and even contributed to a soundtrack. When was the last time Roger guested on anything? What would he even bring to the table? A scroll of words for a 30 second part. Gilmour brings more life to the Floyd material than any army of hired guns ever will.
I used to treat Roger like a curiosity act, and I never mind a good production with quad sound etc. But lately, his political crap has gotten out of hand, as I fear his grasp on who he really is, was, and isn't has gone to hell. Don't forget that if Roger had had his way, he would be billed as Pink Floyd. Yuck. Vera as an encore tells you that the guy needs some serious therapy.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Follix wrote:^ Yeah but when I say Wall is full of fillers I am talking about these kind of songs.

The real elephant in the room is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Bh4VKEHRY

Why in C Roger, WHY?

Vera is amazing, and grasps the kind of subtle emotion that Gilmour hasn't been able to since the Wall.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

It's a terrible song. Not that that has stooped him from rehashing the chords, melody, and overall feel later in his solo career. I dare say it's the worst pink Floyd song out there. Rivalled by being the boys back home. They don't have the excuse of having been written while they were still maturing musically. Yeah. Worst classic pink Floyd songs ever. Hands down.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

raisemyrent wrote:Roger is turning into a clown. Hiding behind a million projectors is... nothing. Brands himself a creative genius and he hasn't written **** all in 24 years. Also, he last evolved musically in the late 70s. Reminds me of any other washed up old act like the stones or Yes, just taking the cash in with hoardes (however diminishing) of people for whom they've done enough for a lifetime (I'm looking at you Flathead).
I agree as always with basically anything kjek says (should've gone for a pint at the Albert hall mate!), the first note of 5AM of all songs made me forget all 3 previous Roger shows, as I've stated before. Gilmour's solo material isn't the same as the Floyd from the 70s, but it's just that, Gilmour's solo material. He's put out way more art and pushed himself way farther than Roger ever will. He's guested on a variety of things and even contributed to a soundtrack. When was the last time Roger guested on anything? What would he even bring to the table? A scroll of words for a 30 second part. Gilmour brings more life to the Floyd material than any army of hired guns ever will.
I used to treat Roger like a curiosity act, and I never mind a good production with quad sound etc. But lately, his political crap has gotten out of hand, as I fear his grasp on who he really is, was, and isn't has gone to hell. Don't forget that if Roger had had his way, he would be billed as Pink Floyd. Yuck. Vera as an encore tells you that the guy needs some serious therapy.
Hopefully there'll be another opportunity in the future mate!

I don't dislike Vera or Bring the boys back home, they fit the albums story well, but musically they are extremely dull and uninspiring. As Folix said, filler basically!

Also that's the first time I've noticed Rogers taken Run Like Hell down to C, I actually don't mind him changing the key if it helps him to at least sing live, I mean not everyone can have Gilmour's vocal superiority in their 70's. But what I will say is the guitar in Run Like Hell is one of those licks Rogers players never quite get right, it's just off, and I know because not only can I hear it but I've heard Gilmour play it from 2 feet away.

Listen I'll go to Rogers shows just to see him, and because I'm sure they will offer great spectacle, but I've seen him before, I know that musically there'll be very little he'll do in that stage that will make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, whilst Gilmour's show was jam packed full of these moments, I had goosebumps for 3 hours and you just had the sense you were watching an absolute master perform. I just didn't quite get that watching Waters walk up and down the stage with a leather jacket and glasses lip syncing to his own pre-recorded In the Flesh vocals....
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Isn't Roger lip-synching Run Like Hell? It sure sounded like it from the Oldchella video I watched!
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

yeah apparently he is not as much as before on The Wall tour Vera and Bring The Boys Back Home are tedious songs to play in The Wall set yeah makes sense as part of the concept elsewhere like these Coachella & Mexico shows ideal songs to go to the toilet
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

mastaflatch wrote:Isn't Roger lip-synching Run Like Hell? It sure sounded like it from the Oldchella video I watched!

I wondered the same thing but then why a tone lower? I mean if it's gonna lip sync, take old 90's tape and do it in the original key... I find the main riff to be awful in that version, already that I prefer Gilmour's way of playing it (PULSE especially) the last thing it needs is to be in C.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

True,if you're going to lip sync it then might as well do it in D
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Maybe he just couldn't sing it in D on the new playback tapes (assuming he records new ones before each tour to maintain a coherence with his current voice)?
homeby5
Embryo
Embryo

Post by homeby5 »

Man....you guys are like little fan girls arguing over who is the best. Both were great at what they contributed. David was the musician and Waters was the main author. Both has even eluded to this and it's fair to say that neither would be successful without each others contributions.

As far as their current tours, why not capitalize on past success? I don't blame either one. I've seen them both and of course David has more to bring to the table live because of his vocals and his lead playing. But Roger has his stage presence with the fact that without him and his writing contributions, there would be no PF which would also mean we wouldn't be arguing over who's dick is longer. Sheesh....