Roger Waters Us + Them Tour 2017

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger Waters Us + Them Tour 2017

Post by kjek1 »

homeby5 wrote:Man....you guys are like little fan girls arguing over who is the best. Both were great at what they contributed. David was the musician and Waters was the main author. Both has even eluded to this and it's fair to say that neither would be successful without each others contributions.

As far as their current tours, why not capitalize on past success? I don't blame either one. I've seen them both and of course David has more to bring to the table live because of his vocals and his lead playing. But Roger has his stage presence with the fact that without him and his writing contributions, there would be no PF which would also mean we wouldn't be arguing over who's dick is longer. Sheesh....
It's not an argument over who's the best, it's about slapping Harry Waters aka Flathead down when he starts peddling myths about Rogers apparent superiority whilst designing the live shows and creating the album art. Genuinely think Dave pumped his girlfriend back in the day, it's the only thing that can explain the animosity

However, as far as live performers go there's no argument to be had, Dave absolutely wipes the floor with Roger, I know because I've experienced both of them live.
homeby5
Embryo
Embryo

Post by homeby5 »

kjek1 wrote:
homeby5 wrote:Man....you guys are like little fan girls arguing over who is the best. Both were great at what they contributed. David was the musician and Waters was the main author. Both has even eluded to this and it's fair to say that neither would be successful without each others contributions.

As far as their current tours, why not capitalize on past success? I don't blame either one. I've seen them both and of course David has more to bring to the table live because of his vocals and his lead playing. But Roger has his stage presence with the fact that without him and his writing contributions, there would be no PF which would also mean we wouldn't be arguing over who's dick is longer. Sheesh....
It's not an argument over who's the best, it's about slapping Harry Waters aka Flathead down when he starts peddling myths about Rogers apparent superiority whilst designing the live shows and creating the album art. Genuinely think Dave pumped his girlfriend back in the day, it's the only thing that can explain the animosity

However, as far as live performers go there's no argument to be had, Dave absolutely wipes the floor with Roger, I know because I've experienced both of them live.
I've also experienced them both...live and enjoyed both of them.....for what they are now and have become. I just don't get the competitive attitude towards any accomplished musician or writer (not saying you do, mind you). I'm a bar hack player and suck like 99% of bar hack players. I gig weekly and suck at about 4 or 5 instruments. But I have enough experience to know that writing lyrics and music is a damn fine art that few possess. Roger is a rare talent. Same goes for really good players like Dave. I mean, wow.... It's not about which one is best because any experienced musician knows that is a fools argument. It's about enjoying what each one has given us.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2017 tour

Post by drafsack »

kjek1 wrote:
Flathead wrote:

No one cares about the post-Waters albums, lol. Trending on Facebook is "Pink Floyd". You click it, and get Waters. that's reality.
Did you miss the two huge sell out tours they did whilst Waters was playing to half empty arenas? You don't help yourself do you. What you even doing in a Floyd forum..

And you've never been to Dave's gigs to button your fat yap , infant you probably haven't even seen Roger "live" (using that term loosely)

Gents play nice or we will send the boys around to take your toys away for a couple of days
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: 2017 tour

Post by kjek1 »

drafsack wrote:

Gents play nice or we will send the boys around to take your toys away for a couple of days
Bring the toys back home :)
jeff_s
Embryo
Embryo

Post by jeff_s »

I've had the joy of seeing Pink Floyd (post Waters) twice, Roger 3 times, including The Wall and David on this tour so it's safe to say I've had a good sample.

Roger right now has become one of those guys living off the past. He's been promising a new album for 20 years but it's been 25 since Amused to Death. In that same time span, David with PF and as a solo artist, has released 4 albums of new material, 2 soon to be 3 live albums and 4 soon to be 5 and possibly 6 live DVD's. David has remained relevant, Roger has not.

The fact that he still feels that he still needs to advertise himself as "the genius of Pink Floyd", is sad in and of itself. If we've learned anything since Waters left the band it's that yes, Roger was the conceptual and lyrical force but David with Rick was the musical force and is by far the better musician. Playing live he sounds like Pink Floyd, which only further tells me that he was the musical force. So Roger's self anointed name isn't only sad it's not entirely accurate.

On this tour, Roger is playing an all PF set, which I don't understand and frankly with few exceptions, it's one more suited to David. More than 1/2 the set are songs that feature and/or were sung by David. Why? He's using recorded backing tracks to back him up and sadly really can't sing anymore. I've always felt that Roger's bands as a solo artist sound like a Pink Floyd tribute band, and it's only getting more so. And no amount of visual effects will help that.

Roger is absolutely one of the few real musical legends still around. His contributions to music cannot ever be overstated. But sadly his time is over.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

^ My problem is that Roger is coming at my city with his new tour next year (David didn't) and now you can hear all medias acting like if he is Pink Floyd... I heard an hour ago on the radio that ''Comfortably Numb'' was his song (because a fan had to guess the song album to win tickets), the radio said ''One of the best Pink Floyd track, in fact Waters song because The Wall is Roger's album''

But see that's the thing I struggle with, on his promos the lady also state ''the genius of Pink Floyd'' not even the ''creative genius'' but simply ''the genius''... Roger make most people believe that he is Pink Floyd
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

jeff_s wrote:I've had the joy of seeing Pink Floyd (post Waters) twice, Roger 3 times, including The Wall and David on this tour so it's safe to say I've had a good sample.

Roger right now has become one of those guys living off the past. He's been promising a new album for 20 years but it's been 25 since Amused to Death. In that same time span, David with PF and as a solo artist, has released 4 albums of new material, 2 soon to be 3 live albums and 4 soon to be 5 and possibly 6 live DVD's. David has remained relevant, Roger has not.

The fact that he still feels that he still needs to advertise himself as "the genius of Pink Floyd", is sad in and of itself. If we've learned anything since Waters left the band it's that yes, Roger was the conceptual and lyrical force but David with Rick was the musical force and is by far the better musician. Playing live he sounds like Pink Floyd, which only further tells me that he was the musical force. So Roger's self anointed name isn't only sad it's not entirely accurate.

On this tour, Roger is playing an all PF set, which I don't understand and frankly with few exceptions, it's one more suited to David. More than 1/2 the set are songs that feature and/or were sung by David. Why? He's using recorded backing tracks to back him up and sadly really can't sing anymore. I've always felt that Roger's bands as a solo artist sound like a Pink Floyd tribute band, and it's only getting more so. And no amount of visual effects will help that.

Roger is absolutely one of the few real musical legends still around. His contributions to music cannot ever be overstated. But sadly his time is over.
excellent post and i agree
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Creative wouldn't be a good word for Roger to use in his advertising since he's been anything but creative for the last quarter of a century. Not so long ago he said we caht look back, this from a guy who just spent years regurgitating Thr Wall all over the world.

I love Roger, he is a lyrical genius and he is a very clever man, but he wouldn't be where he is without the others and he really overstates his own contribution far too much showing a real lack of humility and self awareness.

I genuinely don't know exactly what Flatheads probably with Gilmour is, , but I could beat him into submission all week just because so much of what he says simply isn't true.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

I'll take "no albums" and sensational tours of great material over On an Island and Rattle That Lock, which were complete embarrassments.

David should've done what Roger is doing now: hire a producer who isn't afraid to disagree.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

They're David Gilmour albums. Take them or leave them. He's not stuck in the past and has evolved musically. For good or bad. You swim or you sink.
He does the Floyd material justice and plays quite a bit of it (didn't play his whole new album this time round)
To have a producer you kind of need to produce first mate. Gilmour needed someone to sort out all his demos and ideas. Roger has a paper that's all worn out with the same chords written in it. And probably pages and pages of political stuff that he keeps scratching off to make CNN relevant.

I guess the panning of Rogers shows is because he just has nothing to offer. He gave himself a subjective glorious title (genius), as opposed to an objective voice and guitar. Laughable. Then adds political tripe with authority. Having written some good lyrics in the 70s (let's be honest his solo stuff is not up to snuff) does not make you relevant. Get a grip!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:I'll take "no albums" and sensational tours of great material over On an Island and Rattle That Lock, which were complete embarrassments.

David should've done what Roger is doing now: hire a producer who isn't afraid to disagree.
You're full of contradictions, banging on about creativity then siding with the guy who's not creative anymore.

And by the way, there's nothing sensational about Rogers new show aside from his effects, nothing. Those are merely a big distraction and an attempt to fill a gaping hole he can't fill musically. I respect Gilmour for doing what he wants and banging out his own tunes. A creative genius doesn't hire a producer to tell them what do to, again contradiction. And again, that last Radiohead album was dog shit.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

"On this tour, Roger is playing an all PF set, which I don't understand".....

It was the big blink. [-X

Dave has played all Pink Floyd with Pink Floyd, and as a solo artist, played his new record, then "the good stuff" as he so put it.

Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Esquire covers Roger's dominating and historic performance at Desert Trip. Clearly, the man behind the Pink Floyd spectacle.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/mu ... sert-trip/
"He does not settle for anything until he's explored every option," says Wolfe. "I like that about him. There are changes made every single day, because he goes back to the hotel, or wherever he is, and he watches the performance from the night before, and he takes notes. He's meticulous. There's a reason why he's as successful and as sharp as he is. He really cares about every moment. He thinks every moment matters, not just to him, but the audience. He really cares about the experience of the crowd. He really wants a show."
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:A creative genius doesn't hire a producer to tell them what do to, again contradiction. And again, that last Radiohead album was dog shit.
David and Roger were each other's producers, telling each other what to do.

Together, they made Dark Side of the Moon. Apart, they made AMLOR and Radio Kaoss.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Flathead wrote:Esquire covers Roger's dominating and historic performance at Desert Trip. Clearly, the man behind the Pink Floyd spectacle.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/mu ... sert-trip/
"He does not settle for anything until he's explored every option," says Wolfe. "I like that about him. There are changes made every single day, because he goes back to the hotel, or wherever he is, and he watches the performance from the night before, and he takes notes. He's meticulous. There's a reason why he's as successful and as sharp as he is. He really cares about every moment. He thinks every moment matters, not just to him, but the audience. He really cares about the experience of the crowd. He really wants a show."
historic because he is friends with the promoter behind these concerts and is getting paid alot of money for performing at OldChella