Azimuth Coordinator

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Spudzookanz
Embryo
Embryo

Azimuth Coordinator

Post by Spudzookanz »

Kia Ora, I am new to Neptune and send greetings from New Zealand. Does anyone know about the Azimuth Coordinator? It was invented by Bernard Speight, when I grew up in the UK he lived in the same house. He was much older than me and when I was about 15 he gave me a turntable, still got it! That's 35 years ago and it plays my vinyl to this day. Big old Garrard 301 so built to last!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Azimuth Coordinator

Post by my breakfast. »

I think there were a couple of devices that were called The Azimuth Coordinator. One had a single joystick, and is seen in the 1971 Offenbach footage. There is a larger two-joystick model which is part of the Victoria and Albert Museum's collection. The device itself could be pretty simple, as it is simply controlling the volume of four channels. You could build one reasonably cheaply and easily. Joystick potentiometers are available commercially. The following page may be of some use:

http://www.potentiometers.com/joydesign.cfm
Spudzookanz
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Azimuth Coordinator

Post by Spudzookanz »

The 2 joystick model in the V & A was the one I know about. Bernard Speight was an EMI engineer at Abbey Rd and was asked to come up with something to pan sound around a London venue.