Double Core II

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Double Core II

Post by PooF »

Hudini wrote: And no one can bathe you from feeling of guilt
That should be 'save' I think (pedantically)
Hudini wrote:*ducks*
No need
Odins_Echoes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Odins_Echoes »

I'm new to this, but I'm a musician and I think I can come up with something for the opening instrumental "Under". I might be able to assist with a few others as well. When people start recording the songs, I'd like to offer my assistance for adding parts (I play guitar, bass, drums, keys, sing) and production as I'm studying to be an audio engineer.

If you want to check out some of my own music, you can go here (there is some Floyd-y stuff in it):

https://odinrosado.bandcamp.com/album/f ... -with-love

Thanks for coming up with such a cool project!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

PooF wrote:
Hudini wrote: And no one can bathe you from feeling of guilt
That should be 'save' I think (pedantically)
Without over-explaining, the song is (partially) about a person who feels guilty for not being there enough for someone who passed away and is trying to wash the feeling away by dedicating too much energy into preserving the image of the deceased loved one. Thus bathe. But I won't dismiss 'save' that quickly, if anyone else think it's a better idea I'll change it.

There is a whole story behind the song and there are several different viewpoints in the verses, i.e. 'you' in different verses is not the same 'you' throughout. I thought I'd better not bother anyone with the backstory, but if anyone wants to know it I'll be glad to provide.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think "bathe" works just fine.

Besides, this isn't a project where an artist offers up a piece for others to tell them what to do with. This is a project where you do your own thing, no explanation or excuses necessary. The only "requirement" is that it be "Floydian" in some way; other than that, the artist is free to chase their muse wherever it leads them.

I'll figure out how to assemble it into a cohesive whole.

I'm just loving, though, how this project is already echoing my experience with "Double Core," in that the first piece to be produced was a set of lyrics by one user, picked up by another user to add the music to and even the way the artwork submissions are starting to come together.

It's encouraging to me. :D

To Odins_Echoes, we'll call "Under" yours. :)
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

As the person who took responsibility for writing the music to "Awaken Trembling", I guess I should at least show what kind of music I'm capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMMA2S6cXVg

I'm a bit shy about my music because I don't find it to be anything special, just some boring noodling mostly. But maybe it sounds a bit "Floydian"?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Sounds good, man! I can't wait to hear "Awaken Trembling"! :D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Glad to see April is the deadline. Gives me more time to work on the lyrics to my song. Still have to work in the actual word "Thursday"!

Mr Spock from medical bench
Sticking plaster on forehead
He's got to go collect his meds
He's got to go to Birkenhead
He's missing places kissing trace
Mission places bombed dastardly
For avoiding contact listening out
Worse parking mastery

I'm not ashamed of these lyrics and think it will work with the tune. Just before I was also thinking of having it end with Gilmour getting his guitar nicked after being accosted. But not sure how I could do that in my bedroom. If I had multitrack technology, why things would be so much different!
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

mosespa wrote:I think "bathe" works just fine.
I thought it was a spelling mistake; if not then it doesn't work grammatically unless you're Jon Anderson!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Who worries about grammar in Rock and Roll?

Have you ever listened to "Another Brick In The Wall Part Two?" :lol:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

PooF wrote:
mosespa wrote:I think "bathe" works just fine.
I thought it was a spelling mistake; if not then it doesn't work grammatically unless you're Jon Anderson!
As I said earlier, I am open for suggestions as to correct all possible errors. English is not my first language so sometimes finer nuances escape me.

I triple checked the usage of 'bath' and 'bathe' when I wrote that because it did sound suspicious to me too, however I needed that particular verb to describe the situation in which a person feels guilty and needs someone else to come and remove the feeling of guilt so that they wouldn't have to deal with it themselves. I could agree that the more accurate verb would be 'wash' but that sounds too banal and trivial to me. That said, while 'save' might work better grammatically it changes the meaning of the line to something I don't want to imply.

All in all, I am still open for corrections but only unless they don't change what I wanted to say with the song. So you could either help me out with a better usage of verb 'bathe' within that particular line or suggest a different verb that would work better but should retain the meaning. Or just credit Jon Anderson, for all I care. :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

If it's grammatical correctness that you seek, in English (a language notorious for disregarding it's own rules of grammar whenever convenient, *shrug*,) then the line should read:

And no one to bathe you of your guilt

However, that doesn't fit with the cadence you've got going on and I fail to see anything "wrong" with the line you wrote. Poof DID claim mere pedantry with his critique, so...my advice is to disregard it, think nothing of it, keep the line exactly as you wrote it and fuck the haters. ;)
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

As mosespa said.
Odins_Echoes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Odins_Echoes »

So, I was able to finish "Under" much quicker than I anticipated so I wanted to share it with you all. Here is a dropbox link, let me know if it works or not since I haven't used Dropbox too much.

In terms of my concepts and ideas with the track, I was aiming for something kind of like "Signs of Life" but also drawing from some of the ideas on The Endless River. I was kind of thinking about how if Pink Floyd was still making new music, what they would incorporate from modern electronic developments. Anyways, I can still make some adjustments to this track and it was mixed very quickly but I think you should get a sense of it. I'd appreciate any comments!

Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/km9oah1n5qg59 ... M.aif?dl=0
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I really like that, man! It's got great potential as an album opener, but it could also be a nice "utilitarian" piece to bridge pieces together.

Given that the deadline isn't until April, I'll encourage you to keep picking at it as much (or as little) as you want to between now and then. You never know, you may decide to expand it into a 20 minute, four-movement piece. :lol: :lol:
Odins_Echoes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Odins_Echoes »

Thanks! I'll definitely keep trying to add to it. I originally thought we had to try and stick to the track times on that original picture of the track list but then I realized that that probably wasn't as important as I originally thought. I think the placing of the instrumental pieces really depends heavily upon the main bulk of the material.