Double Core II

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
mosespa

Re: Double Core II

Post by mosespa »

Do not feel constrained by the time limits as suggested by that track list. :)
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

Just as a general guideline, are we looking for an explicit "Floydian" sound? I sort of just make music that way because Pink Floyd is a large influence on me, but I wasn't sure if that was our main goal. Also, as for writing music for "Awaken Trembling", I am so far from a singer that it's not even funny. Do I need to add the vocal line or will Hudini take care of that once the music has been put down?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The idea is for an explicitly "Floydian" sound to be present, but that's also still very open to interpretation.

For example, on "Double Core," I felt like some people had more of a "Syd" Era sound while others had more of a "Meddle" Era sound, the two tracks I did were conscious attempts to present a "Division Bell" Era sound ("Come And See") and something of a "what it might have sounded like had Waters come back after DB/ATD" kind of sound.

Now, given that none of us have access to Brittannia Row or EMI Studios, etc., etc., whether or not anyone got even remotely close to presenting those sounds is, also, open to interpretation. I'm sure there are some people who would say that none of the songs on Double Core sound anything at all like Pink Floyd. *shrug*

A "Floydian" sound means different things to different people. So, the idea is just to kind of present what that "Floydian Sound" means to you.

In a way, it's a kind of audio cosplay, I guess.

But it doesn't have to be.

Which probably hasn't helped answer your question at all. \:D/ \:D/

As for your question regarding vocal, you can offer it to Hudini, do it yourself or post in the Tribute thread that you'd like someone with more vocal experience than yourself and see what that yields.

If worse comes to worse, I'm a multi-instrumentalist who's capable of singing...if I work at it. I've contributed to recordings on Double Core other than the songs I wrote myself, so it wouldn't be the first time. ;)
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

No, that was plenty helpful! I get that there's no such thing as the "Pink Floyd sound", as it depends on the album. My personal idea of it is the TDB-TER era of music, so that's likely how the music for "Awaken Trembling" is going to turn out. I might just do a simple vocal line where I sing just the root note of the chord, and a more capable vocalist can come in and sing it better and with a stronger melody. I'm not opposed to singing, I'm just not too good at it and haven't really done it before.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Phantom Turnip wrote:I am so far from a singer that it's not even funny.
That's still way closer than me. :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has an idea how it should sound is free to contribute in any way they want. While I wrote the lyrics I had no particular melody in mind, but I did imagine the atmosphere somewhere along the lines of 'Sorrow' and 'Yet Another Movie', so TDB-TER era is just fine.
mosespa wrote:I'm a multi-instrumentalist who's capable of singing...if I work at it. I've contributed to recordings on Double Core other than the songs I wrote myself, so it wouldn't be the first time. ;)
I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one person involved with several songs, if not all. That would give the project a real album feel. So unless Phantom has a different idea, you're free to pick up when he finishes the core of the track.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm just leery of coming off as though I'm trying to "hijack" the project. I have no problem whatsoever with being one of the "glues" which holds the project together. 8)
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

mosespa wrote:I'm just leery of coming off as though I'm trying to "hijack" the project. I have no problem whatsoever with being one of the "glues" which holds the project together. 8)
Hey, there's nothing wrong with having some sort of project director to keep it all going smoothly. I'm in a bit of a busy spot atm, but I'll work on the music when I do have free time. Knowing that Hudini envisions a "Sorrow"-esque sound helps a lot, I can work with that. :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Bumping this back up because we still have several songs open for people to take.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

As I've been writing it, The Starlight has evolved into a song with lyrics rather than being strictly an instrumental. Is that okay? Or should I stick to the instrumental format?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Keep doing what you're doing. :)

The song titles and making the songs as "Floydian" as possible are all that matters!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I wrote the riff of ARREST-SENTENCING-STATEMENT a few months ago. I intended it to be the Bass players version of the Comfortably Numb.
If I'm that great at it, I can come up with something else, rather than hack the second mammoth riff and use it as the solo for "Thursday"!

https://youtu.be/VqiL7OUR-JA
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Do it!

I'll put you down for "Thursday." :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Just noticed you've already got it, lol

Keep doing what you're doing, man!
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

Sorry for no progress on "Awaken Trembling" thus far. Just graduated college yesterday, so now I'll have a lot more free time on my hands until grad school next August.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

No worries, man...we've got until April. ;)