Carrie Fisher

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carrie Fisher

Post by twcc »

I've just heard that Carrie Fisher is not too good. Please, not another loss in 2016. Here's hoping the force is strong.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Carrie Fisher

Post by twcc »

RIP Carrie, I've just heard the sad news :-(
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

May the Force be with her.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carrie Fisher RIP

Post by twcc »

Just heard the breakfast news here ... Debbie Reynolds has died a day after the death of her daughter, Carrie Fisher.

RIP together.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Never quite understood the hype surrounding this girl. Was it all over Star Wars and her role?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Star Wars, her role(s), and in later life as a script editor which resulted in her having a sort of mystery to film geeks in the same way that Dalton Trumbo did. I also heard someone say in a recent tribute that any male over the age of 43 probably had a crush on Carrie at some point ... difficult to unravel the hype, but she certainly was loved by many.
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

I think most of the appeal was not that in Princess Leia, she was a damsel in distress - she portrayed strong woman with a kickass attitude who wasn't going to take crap from the men. She was feisty, witty, and vulnerable all at once, which inspired lord knows how many male fantasies. And for young woman, she was amongst the first to portray a character which gave women a genuine role model to aspire to.

Unfortunately in her reality, she wasn't nearly so tough skinned, and I think from the snippets of what Ive read from her own pen and others, she kind of withdrew from Hollywood somewhat, preferring to work in the background being a script-doctor and author. Her work as an author has been almost as highly acclaimed as her most famous role, and mental health charities hold her in the highest esteem for the way she shone a light on her own suffering from mental illness.

For most though, she is a massively significant part of the most popular piece of pop-culture ever created, one that takes most people back to their childhood, and that is probably what makes it so sad for many. Something cherished from childhood gone. That and the fact her mother passed the next day, which was shocking.