Which type of Syd's songs do you prefer?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Which type of Syd's songs do you prefer?

Post by snifferdog »

I'm not sure why this question came to mind but it did so I'm starting a thread on it. As you do.

I'm not sure I've ever managed to listen to any of Syd's albums/compilations from start to end without skipping tracks. Don't get me wrong - I love some of his music and admire the creativity the man had. But to my ears, mixed in amongst the gems are lots of song which I find unlistenable. Is this sacrilege? Have I heathen ears?

What I'd love to know is what songs you're drawn towards? The accessible ones or the more challenging tracks? Or both?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Which type of Syd's songs do you prefer?

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I feel his solo albums are his best work. Taking downers was more hazardous to him than taking acid.
But "Wolfpack". How can anyone hear that and not think "FUCK! That's genius!".
If only Malcolm King was more available for production then Opel would have appeared on his debut solo.
Instead of the acoustic tracks that were total crap.
"Late Night" is another great one.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'm afraid Wolfpack is on my "skip" list :shock:
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

snifferdog wrote:I'm afraid Wolfpack is on my "skip" list :shock:
Magnesium proverbs and sobs *ding da ding! *Drumming intensifies HOWLING THE PACK IN FORMATION APPEAR!!

What are your unskippable Syd songs?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:['Opel'] Instead of the acoustic tracks that were total crap.
For me, there's no total crap on 'The Madcap Laughs'.

I guess you mean 'She Took a Long Cold Look', 'Feel' and especially 'If It's in You'.
I find them suitable with 'Dark Globe' and the background vocals of 'Long Gone'.

Maybe 'If It's in You' is something like the insane guitar solo of The Velvet Underground's 'I Heard Her Call my Name' (1968).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeuvZOEOaGw
And it pushes Bob Dylan's false start laughter of 'Bob Dylan's 115th Dream' (1965) to another level.
'The Madcap Laughs' reminds me a bit of that Dylan album, 'Bringing It All Back Home'. Also the cover.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bringing_It_All_Back_Home
(Barrett has a woman on the back cover.)

Image Image

The page turning on 'She Took', as part of an offical studio recording, is a highlight to me.
If Dylan would have done it, people would have fainted in admiration. :P

It would have been great to have a finished 'Opel', with overdubs and all,
but it could have been done on the next album, 'Barrett', too.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

snifferdog wrote:I'm not sure why this question came to mind but it did so I'm starting a thread on it. As you do.

I'm not sure I've ever managed to listen to any of Syd's albums/compilations from start to end without skipping tracks. Don't get me wrong - I love some of his music and admire the creativity the man had. But to my ears, mixed in amongst the gems are lots of song which I find unlistenable. Is this sacrilege? Have I heathen ears?

What I'd love to know is what songs you're drawn towards? The accessible ones or the more challenging tracks? Or both?
Hey Snifferdog!!

I do know what you mean. Some of Syd's solo tracks are almost cacophonous and difficult to listen to. I do like Baby Lemonade, Octopus, Gigolo Aunt, Wined and Dined, and several other songs. I have everything he did solo, but I do find myself passing on several tracks when I listen to Madcap Laughs, Opel, and Barrett. Many people like Maisie and Effervescing Elephant, but hearing those songs makes me cringe. They are a difficult listen. I much prefer the songs he composed with the Floyd, including Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Lucifer Sam, Astronomy Domine, and many others. Just my humble opinion, but I know where you are coming from! :)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Forgot to ask...
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:I feel his solo albums are his best work. Taking downers was more hazardous to him than taking acid.
What do you mean with the second sentence?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Wolfpack wrote:Forgot to ask...
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:I feel his solo albums are his best work. Taking downers was more hazardous to him than taking acid.
What do you mean with the second sentence?
LSD really didn't help Syd, but taking mandrax damaged his singing. But then maybe after all this time I never really understood his voice!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I like the beautiful, relaxed and slightly sad stuff the most: Opel/Terrapin/Wined and Dined/Dominoes... that's the stuff that really made me a Barrett fan.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Long Cold Look is one of Barrett's greatest songs. Check out those lyrics. And the beautiful melody.

Roger Waters vocal style owes a lot to the song Wolfpack.