Steven Wilson

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Steven Wilson

Post by moodyblue »

Anyone into this guy's music?

I have only recently sat and listened to this artist and really like what I hear.
The initiated will know he was in a band called Porcupine Tree for years but went solo a few years back.
He actually lives about a mile away from me!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Steven Wilson

Post by Annoying Twit »

Yes and no. I like some of it, some of it a great deal, but not all of it. I liked the first No-Man album a lot, but their songs sort of get featureless on later albums. Porcupine Tree has some absolutely great songs, such as Shallow, Fear of a Blank Planet.

I'm behind on Wilson and need to listen to his solo albums.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Insurgents is probably the most interesting of his solo albums so far. It's very different from the last release.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

He's got a new album due for release in August -

http://www.progradar.org/index.php/2017 ... announced/
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Bigmanpigman wrote:He's got a new album due for release in August -

http://www.progradar.org/index.php/2017 ... announced/
Not surprised. This is Steve Wilson; he's never going to leave 27 years between albums :)

I'll have a listen to Insurgents.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

This is How I Would Rank Steven Wilson's solo albums:

5. Insurgentes
For some reason, I could just not get into this album. It didn't move me or excite me in any way. Not sure why. I know it's well loved by others, so I guess it's just me. Standout track: "No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun". I did like this track.

4. To the Bone
A good album, to be sure, just not one of his best. Probably his more 'commercial' album to date, though he doesn't sacrifice his artistic integrity. Still, amazing that the album is #1 on the UK album charts! Perhaps it will creep up on the list with more listens. Who knows? Standout tracks: "To the Bone" and "Detonation"

3. Grace For Drowning
A fascinating and challenging listen. Wilson really goes for the prog here and definitely achieves it. I like the King Crimson influences. Standout tracks: "Deform to Form a Star" and "Raider II"

2. The Raven That Refused to Sing
A match made in heaven...Alan Parsons producing Steven Wilson. And it pays off with a fantastic album of prog/fusion with lyrics based on ghost stories. Standout tracks: "Luminol" and "The Raven That Refused to Sing"

1. Hand. Cannot. Erase.
A brilliant concept album that ranges from prog to pop/rock to electronica. Every track is a standout here. Profoundly emotional and deeply satisfying. Standout tracks: Wow, just about the whole album, but if I were to pick a few, this trio of tracks is just amazing: "3 Years Older", "Hand Cannot Erase", and "Perfect Life"
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

^ pretty much agree with most of that assessment. Although with his To The Bone album there are 3 "must skip" tracks that I didn't experience with his other albums.

Permanating - ok, ok I get it ... you want to make a pop record - hopefully that's it out of your system.
People Who Eat Darkness - lazy, bog standard
Song Of I - His attempt at being Prince
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

wiped wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am

Permanating - ok, ok I get it ... you want to make a pop record - hopefully that's it out of your system.
Totally agree. To my ears, it didn't really fit into his live shows although surprisingly, the audiences seem to more than clap their approval (or was it politeness?) as the song finished.

He's got a new album coming out this year and live dates added too.

I believe he's also moved out of Hemel Hempstead and married his girlfriend.