Live at Pompeii CD, Vinyl, DVD, Bluray & Deluxe in 2017

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Re: Live at Pompeii DVD in 2017

Post by everton1690 »

but.............

dave plays and sings live

were as

rog, just gets a visual show created , mimes, and uses pre recorded tapes of his voice , sometimes he might pick an acoustic up and strum GCD chords :lol:
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

So....

this breaks my heart.

I'm a blue blood Gilmourwhore. And I've refrained from lavishing love on Roger since the mid 80s.

But.

Roger was a huge part of some of the music that has sustained me for my entire life. They are the soundtrack of all my sorrows, joys, triumphs.

It was much more fun to deny Roger my full heart when he was younger. Now I see that he's damaged by not receiving the recognition he deserves, not just from me but from everyone. And I suffer a loss, too, for not fully appreciating Roger for what he offers.

Don't get me wrong, Roger still irks me - especially in interviews where he declares himself "twice the musician" of the others - but I'm able to see that it is because he's hurt that he has been denied a full measure of love. And after 30+ years of him behaving like a recalcitrant, rebellious teenager, I'm softening. Roger's irritating nature also has a certain charming nostalgia for me.

I guess the lesson that I'm hoping to impart is ....have your favorite - Gilmour will always be mine - but don't shortchange yourself by not allowing a full enjoyment of the other's music and contributions out of a imaginary sense of fidelity to your favorite.

I did that, and now it makes me sad that Roger is older, and he is personally saddened by it. So I'm going to see Roger two nights in a row in Denver, and I will make a huge screaming deal of him, because I owe him that. For as long as these legends are willing to play, I will show up and make a huge hairy deal, screaming and jumping, because they have together and separately provided the musical score to my entire life.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Nice post. Indeed he seems to want recognition. At some point a tyrant gets old and inspires pity.
I too will see him live, for a 4th time. I mean, in the grand scheme of things my wish list for shows probably goes something like this:
- Pink Floyd
- David Gilmour
- Radiohead/King Crimson/Yes (with wakeman)
- Roger Waters

So yeah if he's in town I'll be there clapping.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Just reading through this thread and...

Wow!

Some of you are really over invested in this stuff :?
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

raisemyrent wrote:Nice post. Indeed he seems to want recognition. At some point a tyrant gets old and inspires pity.
I too will see him live, for a 4th time. I mean, in the grand scheme of things my wish list for shows probably goes something like this:
- Pink Floyd
- David Gilmour
- Radiohead/King Crimson/Yes (with wakeman)
- Roger Waters

So yeah if he's in town I'll be there clapping.

:)
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Is that for real ?, the 'tickets' web page shown on the poster has no information and the official David Gilmour site has no information.
](*,)
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Apparently the site to buy tickets will be online in the next few days.

:)
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

David rehashing the past.

The Pompeii DVD is widely considered by many to be the greatest concert performance of all time.

Should've preserved the integrity.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

He played one track that featured on Live at Pompeii

There's a lot of space between your ears mate
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Flathead wrote:David rehashing the past.

The Pompeii DVD is widely considered by many to be the greatest concert performance of all time.

Should've preserved the integrity.
LMFAO & Roger has not been rehashing the past :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just1more
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Just1more »

Too funny...the reality is that both are catering to crowds that like rehashing the past with each person in that crowd desiring a different set list...and of course only waters should do certain songs...and no Gilmour others...and need neither should show any sign of aging since that famous day in Pompeii. And don't touch any of the "sacred" songs...But you should have done Echoes...or (insert song name here). The backing musicians are all talentless and couldn't hold a candle to 25 year old Dave...half the crowd wants to hear Money...the other half are sick of it and want something new...and how dare they charge more that $20 for a ticket. And holy smokes...Pink Floyd members are using electronic devices to enhance the concert experience..and good Ole Rog might lip punch a few pieces...a guy in his mid 70s might not make a 3 hour show, that's another shocker...but hey...they're both putting on better shows than Bowie nowadays...so I'll take what I can, while I can. At the end of the day no one is being forced to buy concert tickets or albums...I bet there are plenty of people nowadays that haven't paid a dime for any of their music....so I guess I can understand why they think $100 is expensive to see a show...but to each their own.
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

I was at both shows in Pompeii. They were magnificent.

It took forever for the Pompeii shows to arrive - I bought my tickets March and it felt like years until it was July.

And then, like a wisp of smoke, it was gone, over, done.

I'm so excited to see this cinema screening. All the moments that I couldn't keep, up in Dolby atmos sound. I can't wait!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I take it just1more won't by going dvd shopping anything soon so :lol:
Just1more
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Just1more »

snifferdog wrote:I take it just1more won't by going dvd shopping anything soon so :lol:

Did you miss out on my sarcasm or I did I miss yours?My point was more that I have spent quite a bit of money on music and therefore $100 for a concert ticket doesn't particularly pricey. I was at the concert in Rome just a few days before he played Pompeii...heck. I was in Pompeii just a couple days before he played Pompeii...I took my daughters to both...why not buy the DVD? I certainly didn't go expecting a 25 year old David Gilmour & a resurrected Rick Wright to flawlessly perform Echoes. I enjoyed the show for what it was...was 70 something Gilmour the same as Pink Floyd in its prime? Of course not...Did I enjoy every song on the set list? No..but I sure enjoyed the vast majority. Most of this bickering back and forth to me seems to be about the same as two 5 year old boys arguing over who's going to use the stick as a gun...